Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM

39 posts, read 150,697 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know the landlord has to provide us tenets with hot water, but how much? I live in the top of a 3 story walk-up with 6 units total.

It seems like most of the times I take a shower, the hot water lasts about 2-3 minutes and I'm scrambling to get out of there.

If I want to take a longer hot shower, I have to do it at weird times when I know no one else in the building would've used hot water for a while. Like between 1pm to 4pm on weekdays or in the middle of the night. I work at home so I *could* just continue showering in the afternoon, but I would much rather prefer the morning.

Anyway, the landlord provides us all with hot water but definitely not enough for my standards. Are there any regulations as to how much hot water he is to provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,334,841 times
This is an interesting question. I have a 3 family with 2 adults in each apt, and a single person in the ground floor (total of 7 people), and just a 50 gallon hot water tank for everyone. Very rarely, maybe once every couple of months, we get low on the hot water, like if 3 people take a shower at once or one after another, but otherwise it's fine. Everyone is staggered enough that the hot water lasts, surprisingly.

I wonder if there is a rule about size of tank and number of apts or bedrooms. My tank is definitely too small for the number of people, but it works so far. And I pay about $1000 a year in gas for the hot water tank...which is why I kept it small...it adds up quickly.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 PM

25,364 posts, read 36,926,332 times
them,

With 6 units the law says you must have a steady supply at 120 degrees minimum. If most of your showers go cold in 2 minutes, your landlord isn't in compliance. Call for a city inspector.

Sobro,
There's no reguation about tank size, in fact some tankless On-Demand systems work very well. We had a tankless system for 325 apartments and it worked well. The City regulates only the end result...120 degree water.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:52 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,786,618 times
Call 311.
Do it now cause it's only gonna get colder.
Your DOOOOOOMED if you sleep on it.

Next thing to go will be the heat.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM

878 posts, read 2,008,403 times
My family owns a building and even though i do hate it when there's no hot water, but that's what it is when you're in a building full of people who are living on one boiler for hot water and it doesn't just heat up all that water instantly. 2-3 minutes is odd...mine usually goes off after 10 minutes, because other people in the building are also showering as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,496,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
My family owns a building and even though i do hate it when there's no hot water, but that's what it is when you're in a building full of people who are living on one boiler for hot water and it doesn't just heat up all that water instantly. 2-3 minutes is odd...mine usually goes off after 10 minutes, because other people in the building are also showering as well.
Not necessarily. I live in a 50 something unit building with one boiler and I've never had the water turn cold, no matter how long a shower I take.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 AM

106,120 posts, read 108,094,712 times
we have 325 apartments and the hot water can be scalding at times. its all about having a properly functioning balanced system.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 AM

18,386 posts, read 31,510,025 times
I have a thermometer for our hot water as I like gadgets. Our water has not gone above 111 degrees, I keep telling the LL, but he keeps telling me he will raise it, but it is still 111 degrees. He did something as so people will not scald them selves, but when I shave, I don't even run the cold water, just the hot, that is how I know it isn't hot enough...

I know from RSA that the water has to be 120 degrees constant..............and it isn't

********sigh***********

Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,188,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by them View Post
Ok, so I know the landlord has to provide us tenets with hot water, but how much? I live in the top of a 3 story walk-up with 6 units total.

It seems like most of the times I take a shower, the hot water lasts about 2-3 minutes and I'm scrambling to get out of there.

If I want to take a longer hot shower, I have to do it at weird times when I know no one else in the building would've used hot water for a while. Like between 1pm to 4pm on weekdays or in the middle of the night. I work at home so I *could* just continue showering in the afternoon, but I would much rather prefer the morning.

Anyway, the landlord provides us all with hot water but definitely not enough for my standards. Are there any regulations as to how much hot water he is to provide?
Alot of landlords are being extra tight about water these days. Water costs have gone up quite a bit in recent years but they are skirting some laws. I would speak with landlord or management company if that does not work proceed to 311.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,334,841 times
I will switch to a small tankless system (instant) when this one goes, and then there will be never ending hot water. Saves money too since you never have to keep a giant tank full of water heated 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City