Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:14 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times

Advertisements

i failed out in college in 1985. i was dropped from the undergrad division but i enrolled as a non-matriculate and got my GPA back up (I don't remember what the gpa had to be to get re-matriculated again) but i eventually did it and graduated.

i wasn't ready for college at 18, it took me 7 years what with transferring schools and having to enroll as a non matric so realistically i needed a few years off after high school but my folks wanted me to stay in school so that's what i did

i had a lot of personal and academic issues to deal with but i eventually worked them out

my point is perhaps you can enroll as a non-matriculate to raise your gpa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,377 times
I went to CUNY City tech Spring 2011. I dropped out shortly after because I was young, dumb and didn't have the right guidance. My finical aid kept giving me soo much issues. At the time I could not afford books and transportation to school. (At the time I didnt know about programs that could help me with all of this) I got depressed and just stopped going. (Also not knowing I had to officially drop out and not just stop going) I had to pay for the course out of pocket (which I did over the years) now I tried to go back for fall 2014. They asked me to write an essay and I was heart brokenly denied. I need help finding another CUNY school that will take in a transfer student with 0 credits. I want to become a paramedicߚ🚑

Old 10-11-2014, 01:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,005 times
"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8."

-- Japanese proverb, also quoted by Martin Luther King. If it helps any, say it to yourself while you're waiting on hold on the phone, when someone tries to discourage you or you doubt yourself. I learned it from my big brother, who lived by it.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:25 AM

577 posts, read 900,087 times
If you apply to a different CUNY school or program they may not have a record of you. My husband attended QC, did very well, but then tried to do a CUNY grad school while working full time- couldn't keep up and failed out/stopped going. Years later he reapplied to a different CUNY grad school but the previous grad experience was never brought up. He finished that degree (which was a lot tougher than his first try... and he was working 2 jobs by that point!) with straight As.

You have 2 options... apply and just hope the issue doesn't come up, or tell them the truth, that you had whatever problems going on at the time and want to start from scratch. The worse they can say is no.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:08 AM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
If you apply to a different CUNY school or program they may not have a record of you. My husband attended QC, did very well, but then tried to do a CUNY grad school while working full time- couldn't keep up and failed out/stopped going. Years later he reapplied to a different CUNY grad school but the previous grad experience was never brought up. He finished that degree (which was a lot tougher than his first try... and he was working 2 jobs by that point!) with straight As.

You have 2 options... apply and just hope the issue doesn't come up, or tell them the truth, that you had whatever problems going on at the time and want to start from scratch. The worse they can say is no.
CUNY admission process varies between those whom are freshmen or transfer applicants versus those whom have a previous college degree and wish to take post graduate studies. For the former one applies using a standard application form to CUNY's main admission process. Post graduate students apply directly to each individual college/program directly.

CUNY has also changed their admissions policies and certainly since "years ago". Therefore anyone considering applying to any program should consult the school in question and or CUNY's website.

I would never suggest to anyone to be less than truthful with information requested for college admissions. Not being forthcoming with information not asked is one thing, but if directly indicated to supply previous college work and one fails to do so can lead to serious consequences. Years ago when records were mainly kept on paper even if a computer print out things were different. Today with just one's Social Security number a vast amount of information can be accessed almost instantly. I went to a CUNY school > twenty years ago but when telephoned the head of my major's department, it took the secretary < three minutes to find my records on her computer. A good part of that time was spelling out my name and giving the SSN/her typing the information.

The other thing to remember is CUNY is a network system of colleges and universities. They are interconnected and even if perhaps a low level clerk at Hunter cannot find something about a student at Baruch am almost sure someone above her/him can, that or they simply will make an internal request.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,221 times
Exclamation CUNY comeback. Please help

Harlem resident, I am one of those people you mentioned. I failed out of a CUNY school because of depression, took some time off and got my act together. I later returned to a CUNY community college and I'm finishing my associates with a 4.0. However, I now have an issue. It's always been my dream to pursue nursing. However, when my grades transferred from my first college, one of my prerequisites for that major (a chemistry class) is holding me back. I took it as a condensed summer course & had received an A- in lab and a D in lecture. Now I find out that many, if not all CUNYs, have a new policy that you can not repeat any prerequisites for the nursing program and hope to get in. I feel so stuck after trying so hard this time around. I know I need to broaden my options and look at private universities now. But do any of you have any advice for me? Or know of colleges that offer a B.S. in Nursing and do not have this policy?? Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You will need to amass credentials, on paper, to prove that you can do it. They will want to see that you have seriousness of purpose. Many people are "smart" enough, yet they fail because they lack the character to see things through. Conversely, even in the most competitive ivy league institutions, you will encounter people who are not very "smart," as they say. Yet they do well, through perseverance and hard work. As an educator, I can assure you that your story is quite typical. You may distinguish yourself by actually making the changes you need to. Most people never go back. You should not give up.

The community college idea is an excellent one, and one you can pursue because many have open admissions policies. The admissions committee(s) will also look carefully at your essay, and you should schedule as many in-person encounters as possible - with counselors, with professors in your chosen field of study, and so on. Everyone wants to help someone who once failed but returns and makes good.

I could tell you about a dozen people I know personally who failed everything, eventually going back to become quite successful. Often these are the most interesting people in the end.

Practically speaking, I believe the SAT question has more to do with the length of time you have spent out of school, and when you graduated from high school. Eventually, they deem those a moot point.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalblu115 View Post
Harlem resident, I am one of those people you mentioned. I failed out of a CUNY school because of depression, took some time off and got my act together. I later returned to a CUNY community college and I'm finishing my associates with a 4.0. However, I now have an issue. It's always been my dream to pursue nursing. However, when my grades transferred from my first college, one of my prerequisites for that major (a chemistry class) is holding me back. I took it as a condensed summer course & had received an A- in lab and a D in lecture. Now I find out that many, if not all CUNYs, have a new policy that you can not repeat any prerequisites for the nursing program and hope to get in. I feel so stuck after trying so hard this time around. I know I need to broaden my options and look at private universities now. But do any of you have any advice for me? Or know of colleges that offer a B.S. in Nursing and do not have this policy?? Please help!

No, CUNY nursing programs won't take you at least not the BSN schools, don't think any of the ADN will either.

You may have to look to private programs like NYU, LIU, Saint Paul's, Montefiore, etc...

If no BSN program will take you but some how you manage to get into an ADN go with that. You can always take a RN to BSN bridge program afterwards.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:12 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,157 times
You could always dip your feet in community college.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, CUNY nursing programs won't take you at least not the BSN schools, don't think any of the ADN will either.

You may have to look to private programs like NYU, LIU, Saint Paul's, Montefiore, etc...

If no BSN program will take you but some how you manage to get into an ADN go with that. You can always take a RN to BSN bridge program afterwards.

I personally know nothing at all about nursing school.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
You could always dip your feet in community college.

Not for nursing. Once you fail out of one CUNY nursing program you are pretty much barred from getting into another at a different school, BSN or ADN it doesn't matter.

Though each college/university are separate they are still all part of the central CUNY system. No matter where you go in the system your transcript/records are easily found via SSN (or other means) by at least the registrar's office. Thus you cannot attempt to even go to a different CUNY college as a "freshman", since a quick entry of your SSN would bring up all previous course work.

Most all CUNY and many private nursing programs specifically state in their admissions polices that those removed from a nursing program for cause previously are ineligible. Thus the person above needs to seek out a more "flexible" school that will overlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City