Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times

Advertisements

I will put this in a nutshell: Racism and hatred are ignorant..To burn the cars of people [i]you do not even know because they are from a certain background is nuts. This applies whether the perpetrators are jews, muslims, christians, klingons or whatever. People are torching random cars in the street because of someone's faith..in 21st Century America in a city on a quiet street.

I have been in Brooklyn 30 of my 35 years, And have personally seen spray paint, And headstones defaced..But never anything on this level. There is NO justification for it. To say "well so and so group is racist first" is merely a means of trying to justify something like this. This is not kindergarten, Peoples lives are being affected.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
What are you talking about? My husband is from eastern Europe and I have visited my extended family there many times and never observed any of this. Several of our friends that from Eastern Europe or have parents from there are also Jewish. Admittedly there are bad apples, of course, but the same with from any region -why would you stereotype like that? Don't you understand how hateful that is as well?
My family is from Eastern Europe. I was born abroad but arrived in the US when I was a toddler. I'm well versed in the culture and technically my first language is Russian.

Am I generalizing or stereotyping? Of course. However, stereotypes about Jews is just part of Slavic culture. Is every one a Jew hater there? Of course not. If you're well versed in the culture and know what to look for, can you detect the anti-Jewish undertones that spring up regularly? It's quite easy.

My father is a lot more angry about what happened yesterday than I am. He grew up around Jew hatred and was a victim of discrimination. I grew up in the NYC and have never felt anything of the sort. In fact, I've only experienced two incidents in my 23 years in the US and both involved Russians. Go figure, eh? lol

It is what it is and I said what I did because I know the undertones in Slavic cultures regarding Jews. There is a reason most Jews fled Eastern Europe (mostly pre Soviet collapse) when they were given the chance and it had very little to do with economic opportunities. It was simply because Jews were and are ( the few Jews that are left in Eastern Europe) second class citizens.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 11-12-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default Question

my landlord who is Yugoslavian only puts up Christmas decorations in the building lobby during the holidays. once i had a local deli(a local Riverdale Jewish eatery) deliver to me and the delivery guy said jokingly "looks like a broad spectrum of culture they have down in the lobby!"(meaning "where are the Jewish decorations?").

Does the Christmas decorations only indicate any prejudice toward Jewish decorations or could it just mean that's their religion and that's what they know? we're in central Riverdale

Old 11-12-2011, 04:59 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
my landlord who is Yugoslavian only puts up Christmas decorations in the building lobby during the holidays. once i had a local deli(a local Riverdale Jewish eatery) deliver to me and the delivery guy said jokingly "looks like a broad spectrum of culture they have down in the lobby!"(meaning "where are the Jewish decorations?").

Does the Christmas decorations only indicate any prejudice toward Jewish decorations or could it just mean that's their religion and that's what they know? we're in central Riverdale
My building only puts up Jewish decorations. I'm not Jewish. It doesn't bother me.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
it doesn't bother me that they don't but i do get curious if they wonder about me or what my ethnicity is

Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
I'm usually cynical about stuff like this but, since no one died, my first thought was that this was a phony hate crime designed to gain pubic sympathy for a certain group of people and perhaps get some free publicity and donated money out of it. It's almost like a public form of Munchausen syndrome. Hoax crimes are more popular than people would like to believe.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I am not going to argue with you on your personal views. It's not worth investing my time since you are entitled to your own opinion. However, my own opinion would still be that your comment "Jew hating is part of the culture in Eastern Europe" is hateful and hurtful. I agree to disagree.
I agree to some extent with this.

Jew hating has been part of many cultures for thousands of years. WE can name every culture, Empire, Kingdom who hated Jews. Let me bring up a list. Babelyon, Caannites, Persians, Selecid Greeks because of these people you Jews have Hannukah, Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Crusaders States, Kingdom of England, REpublic of Venice, Kingdom of SPain/SPanish Empire, Holy Roman Empire, Austrian Hungarian Empire, RUssian Empire, SOviet Union, Nazi Germany, Iraq and other arab states and CUBA.

States that embraced Jews were Persia for the time being, Alexander the Greats Empire before it fragmented, Ptolmaic Egypt, Arab Caliphates, Ottoman Empire, Kingdom of Poland, England when it was a Republic, French Empire under Napoleon Bonaparte, and the good ol USA. Im sure there are other nations that embraced JEws but dont know much about.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I will put this in a nutshell: Racism and hatred are ignorant..To burn the cars of people [i]you do not even know because they are from a certain background is nuts. This applies whether the perpetrators are jews, muslims, christians, klingons or whatever. People are torching random cars in the street because of someone's faith..in 21st Century America in a city on a quiet street.

I have been in Brooklyn 30 of my 35 years, And have personally seen spray paint, And headstones defaced..But never anything on this level. There is NO justification for it. To say "well so and so group is racist first" is merely a means of trying to justify something like this. This is not kindergarten, Peoples lives are being affected.
Completely agree.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Jews were and are ( the few Jews that are left in Eastern Europe) second class citizens.
Gypsies are not even considered humans there. During WW2 especially the Polish people were more than willing to turn them over to the SS who deported them to Treblinka, Majdanek, Sobibor and Belzec.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
... and the good ol USA. Im sure there are other nations that embraced JEws but dont know much about.
The USA did not embrace Jews. For starters, they did nothing to stop the death camps.

Do you mean that once those who did get in were here, nobody rounded them up ? Not exactly an embrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City