Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,465,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutais View Post
why?? I would love to hear why? I know that life can be very different in NYC depending on your circumstance. Its no different anywhere else really.I want to know why NYC is so much worse than other major cities in the world. To me it seems crazy if you hate living here so much why you would stay?
First, it's not always so easy to just pick up and leave. Family, job, etc. Making a big move is a stressful and hard experience.

And many natives (like myself) are just over the city and are ready to move on. After a while, the novelty wears off and everything just becomes annoying and overpriced. LOL Oh, and the weather sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 PM

174 posts, read 413,985 times
Ok I have to say I agree with the weather. Winter is brutal! However I like the summer here the city was alive

Overpriced yes it is but Sydney where I am from is probably worse. The rents are not as bad but groceries and food is out of control back home.

I suppose I know I will go back one day however for us its been about getting to know a different way of life.
Australian's in general travel A LOT! Much more than Americans. I have noticed this because I am a Travel Agent here and most prefer to stay with in the US. Australia is so isolated from the world that we LOVE to explore and see outside our back yard. I have travelled extensively prior to getting married and having kids. So to move here has been a great opportunity especially at my age

I do however totally understand and empathize.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,836,839 times
Quote:
Ok I have to say I agree with the weather. Winter is brutal! However I like the summer here the city was alive
I don't mind the weather all that much. Winters are FAR worse in Pennsylvania, New York State, New England. THe proximity to the ocean has a mitigating effect on the cold.

Quote:
but Sydney where I am from is probably worse
And in NYC you don't have all those pesky earthquakes to deal with...they can REALLY spoil your day.

I've been within 3 miles of Times Square for the last 40 years and I wouldn't have it any other way. And EVERY day in Winter I awake with a warm glow knowing I'll NEVER have to dig a car out of the snow or jump start a dead battery , or find the car MISSING ever again.

Where else could I see TWYLA THARP on Sunday, JAZZ at the GUGGENHEIM on Monday, and SATYAGRAHA at the met Tuesday...without leaving home?

I'm almost exactly a year in my new digs in Manhattan too and I am glad we both had a good year. (although I am getting sick of "home repairs."_

Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Kefir King- Yes the proximity to so much is what I just appreciate so much. I love Australia however being so isolated from everything makes life somewhat insulated.
The snow well its all new to us as our coldest day in Sydney would probably be around 55 and that is a VERY extreme cold day for us LOL.However its been such an experience especially for my children.Imagine getting a day off school because its snowed!! Priceless...
I love living here in Manhattan I just can't imagine moving back home for a very long time.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Hey I have teamed up with some other bloggers and we are giving away an iPad 2 on our blogs. I know everyone already has them but just in case anyone was interested visit my blog You can spread the word around too.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 PM

878 posts, read 2,005,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
First, it's not always so easy to just pick up and leave. Family, job, etc. Making a big move is a stressful and hard experience.

And many natives (like myself) are just over the city and are ready to move on. After a while, the novelty wears off and everything just becomes annoying and overpriced. LOL Oh, and the weather sucks.

I agree. I couldn't believe the majority of the people I've graduated with in HS decided to go to college either out-of-city or out-of-state.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 AM

669 posts, read 1,268,120 times
I don't get how so many native NYers on here "hate" living here so much, I never wanna live in a suburban town and live that generic boring stereotypical American Dream. I think a lot of ppl just are fed up with their circumstances and have the grass is greener mentality(like my parents did when the moved us to Florida) only to move back a few years later. Almost all my family members and family friends thats moved to FL, GA, and NC have moved back to NY, though most have settled in Long Island instead of the city.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:53 AM

I agree joshd9124 NYC is very different to the rest of the US and I would have found it very difficult to have adjusted coming from Australia. I think this is why Australians love NYC as we can relate better to the diversity and culture that is so abundant here.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Thanks to those who read my blog

Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,775,406 times
Congratulations!!! ☼
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City