Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM

88 posts, read 201,467 times

Advertisements

Hey New Yorkers. As a non-New Yorker, I was wondering if I could get your guys' take on the new Barclays Center under construction in Brooklyn.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/Jericho-79/BacrlaysCenter.png (broken link)

I realize that New York City consists of five separate boroughs. And I also understand that the New Jersey Nets will become the Brooklyn Nets once the team moves into the new arena next year.

However, practically everyone says Madison Square Garden is in New York, New York, even though MSG is located in the borough of Manhattan. And Saturday Night Live always does their "Live from New York..." schtick, even though NBC Studios is also located in Manhattan (i.e. SNL has never used "Live from Manhattan...").

So, is it still proper to say that the new Barclays Center is located in New York City, rather than in Brooklyn?

For example, let's say that U2 films a live concert DVD at the Barclays Center.

Would it be more appropriate for the title of this concert DVD to be "U2 Live from New York"? Or would it be more appropriate for the title of this concert DVD to be "U2 Live from Brooklyn"?

Like I said, people always associate MSG with New York, New York. Manhattan is never mentioned.

Do you guys think the Barclays Center should be more associated with New York, New York? Or would it be better for the Barclays Center to be more associated with the borough of Brooklyn?

I don't mean to split hairs here. Personally, I just find it odd that the Nets will become "Brooklyn" property, even though Brooklyn IS New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Yes, technically Brooklyn is a part of New York City. However, the different boroughs have very strong, historical identities so its more appropriate to say that Barclay's Center will be located in Brooklyn. Whenever someone says "New York" it will be assumed you mean somewhere in Manhattan.

As for the Barclay's Center itself I have mixed feeling about it. I never like to see the city declare eminent domain and seize private property to build these projects, but at the same time it's construction will help correct a very sloppy and dangerous intersection and at least it looks like it will be a nice building.

I would not want to be a local resident with a car when this thing opens.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM

88 posts, read 201,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Yes, technically Brooklyn is a part of New York City. However, the different boroughs have very strong, historical identities so its more appropriate to say that Barclay's Center will be located in Brooklyn. Whenever someone says "New York" it will be assumed you mean somewhere in Manhattan.
Does that rationale also apply to Queens and The Bronx?

I mean-

Is it more appropriate to say that Citi Field is in Queens? (Or is it Flushing?)

Is it more appropriate to say that Yankee Stadium is in The Bronx?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM

105 posts, read 322,548 times
Part of the effort to sell the Barclay's Center has been to note that the facility will improve and capitalize on Brooklyn as a "brand". So I think you'll see a strong effort to link the facility with "Brooklyn" proper, and a strong resistance to generalizing it as a "New York" institution. Brooklyn is coming into it's own, and the Barclay's center is a big part of the coming of age story.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
First of all, they could have picked a better name.

But no, I was not for this. I do not believe in Eminent Domain. I don't care if a person is living in a run down tenement, that is still their home, that is where they lay their head a night to go to sleep.

I do not believe that people should be thrown out of their homes for a sporting arena.

I have seen it in person. While it looks huge and pretty nice, i will never go there, ever.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
All the boroughs of nyc have a rep.

Manhattan is the most popular one since it has the most tourist and landmark attractions.

Brooklyn - with the mobsters, the accent, the old dodgers, coney island etc. Recently, it has become the hipster mecca.

Bronx - yankee stadium, nuff said

Queens - World Fairs, mets, far rockaway, jfk and lga airports.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
However, practically everyone says Madison Square Garden is in New York, New York, even though MSG is located in the borough of Manhattan.
New York, NY is the proper designation for Manhattan as an address.... If you live in Manhattan, your address is New York, NY. It is not Manhattan, NY. MSG is indeed in New York, NY. And no one would argue that Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, The Bronx, and SI are all in New York City. You can of course say both "Live from Brooklyn" or "live from NYC".

Old 11-15-2011, 01:57 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
I'm for it mostly because I'm a huge basketball fan(even though this lockout is making my fanhood diminish) but when ever the season starts back I can go to games easier since I live in BK and the games will prob be a lot cheaper.

And it just makes the overall area a lot more appealing.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM

84 posts, read 249,851 times
As a big basketball fan and sports fan I like it. The Brooklyn Nets vs New York Knicks should be sick.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
However, practically everyone says Madison Square Garden is in New York, New York, even though MSG is located in the borough of Manhattan. And Saturday Night Live always does their "Live from New York..." schtick, even though NBC Studios is also located in Manhattan (i.e. SNL has never used "Live from Manhattan...").

So, is it still proper to say that the new Barclays Center is located in New York City, rather than in Brooklyn?
The Barclays Center is in the New York City Borough of Brooklyn, however, the Barclays Center itself, as seen by the renaming of the Nets as the Brooklyn Nets, will be promoting itself as "Brooklyn" not "New York".

The confusion over what to call the various areas within New York City is mostly because of the U.S. Postal Service amd the fact that the majority of mailing addresses in New York City are not "New York, NY".

The U.S. Postal Service has divided the City of New York into 7+ postal cities: New York (covers Manhattan and the Bronx), Staten Island, Brooklyn (covers most of Brooklyn and parts of northwest and southwest Queens), Long Island City (most of the original Town of Newtown in Queens), Flushing (includes all of the original Town of Flushing and parts of the Town of Newtown in Queens and also part of what was Town of Bushwick in Brooklyn), Jamaica (most of the original Town of Jamaica in Queens and a small area in what was the East New York section of the Town of New Lots in Brooklyn) and Far Rockaway (in Queens). (Additionally, a few small areas in the Bronx are serviced by post offices located in Westchester County and hence have "Westchester" mailing addresses, such as "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City