Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM

675 posts, read 1,250,157 times

Advertisements

I remember seeing that special on TV a few year back on McDonalds and the owner of the number #1 spot said the key to his success was keeping the bathrooms clean as possible. Its the McDonalds on the I-95 in CT exit 14 if I'm correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,709,658 times
What I've seen in some restrooms makes me question humanity. I reluctantly wonder what people's bathroom habits are like at home for them to leave a public one so filthy- I can only presume that some people are raised in barns. I know bums couldn't care less about what they leave behind, but I've been horrified at the "crime scene" like display in restrooms for customers only. Half the time I can't figure out if there was a goat being sacrificed to Ba'al in the bathroom, or if there was a scat orgy run wild.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,497,170 times
oh dear

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-not-rich.html

The availability of bathrooms at places like Starbucks was one of the huge QOL improvements of contemporary manhattan over the good old days. IMHO its part of the social contract - we will accept big corp chains, in return you provide us free bathrooms.

I am saddened at this news.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM

650 posts, read 1,805,052 times
I would love to see a Starbucks employee start telling people to leave the restrooms. Poor college student making $8/hour having to deal with homeless people now.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,809,688 times
Quote:
That play Urinetown was based on paying to pee.lol

The play REALLY hit a chord with New Yorkers, didn't it?

I'm old enough to remember almost all subway stations having toilets. They were truly disgusting because the transit authority cleaned them every two or three years, what else would we expect? They shut them down because gays were hooking up and the City cannot have THAT, at least not without paying the mob for a beer.
But you could ride the trains fully knowing you are never too far from a free urinal. That's called common-sense CIVILIZATION...another commodity getting in shorter and shorter supply.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,709,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I would love to see a Starbucks employee start telling people to leave the restrooms. Poor college student making $8/hour having to deal with homeless people now.
$8 with great benefits, might I add. Someone tell the OWS peeps that instead of mucking up the place complaining about not having a job, they can work at Starbucks. They're hiring.

I've seen some of the workers at the union square joint try to shoo out a few homeless peeps who bought the smallest coffee available so they could have an excuse to sleep for a few hours in the back. I'm sure most of the appeal for the homeless was the bathroom. I've been approached for money by several homeless people while inside a starbucks- that's how bad it is.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 AM

446 posts, read 991,597 times
Not even to paying customers? That doesn't make much sense. Part of the "allure" of Starbucks is the ability to sit, have some coffee, and use their wifi to get some work done. HELLO, it's coffee, coffee makes people PEE. If I have to get up in the middle of working and go out on an adventure looking for a toilet, I'm not gonna go back to Starbucks to continue working after I've found one. And I'm not gonna want to order another cup of coffee so I can do the whole thing all over again. What a hassle. It sounds to me like they're trying to discourage people hanging around the shop too long in general.

It's time we step into the 21st century and get some public .50-$1 self-cleaning restrooms like they have in Europe.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 AM

237 posts, read 780,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Not even to paying customers? That doesn't make much sense. Part of the "allure" of Starbucks is the ability to sit, have some coffee, and use their wifi to get some work done. HELLO, it's coffee, coffee makes people PEE. If I have to get up in the middle of working and go out on an adventure looking for a toilet, I'm not gonna go back to Starbucks to continue working after I've found one. And I'm not gonna want to order another cup of coffee so I can do the whole thing all over again. What a hassle. It sounds to me like they're trying to discourage people hanging around the shop too long in general.

It's time we step into the 21st century and get some public .50-$1 self-cleaning restrooms like they have in Europe.
I agree!! Coffee is a diuretic!!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,148,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
They should put some sort of machine that asks for a $1 to use the bathroom.
They have these remarkably clean public Restrooms in Berlin (and probably in other European cities as well). I was perfectly willing to spend a Euro in order to use a clean readily available bathroom.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,455,497 times
While Starbucks' action is certainly a slap in the face, I have to say that I can understand where they're coming from. I wouldn't let most of "the public" use my bathroom, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City