U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 16,865,586 times

Advertisements

Next thing Starbucks might do is to start charging extras for those that sit there all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:48 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,825,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
The bathroom in my morning Starbucks is usually pretty clean, but one day I saw a homeless person coming out of it. It really grossed me out.
I always know when there's a homeless person in a Starbucks bathroom, at least here in Santa Monica. They go in the early mornings, and spend 20-30 minutes in there. If I'm waiting outside the door, I hear them flushing the toilet, then running the sink, then using paper towel after paper towel, then flushing again, running the sink again, more paper towels, more flushing, and so on...

I've figured out that some homeless use Starbucks bathrooms to bathe themselves, washing their entire bodies as best they can with all those towels. Perhaps even washing a few items of clothing in the sink. It's the only thing that makes sense for those half-hour uses, with the constant flushing, running the sink, and seemingly 50 paper towels.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 PM

8,009 posts, read 6,465,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I always know when there's a homeless person in a Starbucks bathroom, at least here in Santa Monica. They go in the early mornings, and spend 20-30 minutes in there. If I'm waiting outside the door, I hear them flushing the toilet, then running the sink, then using paper towel after paper towel, then flushing again, running the sink again, more paper towels, more flushing, and so on...

I've figured out that some homeless use Starbucks bathrooms to bathe themselves, washing their entire bodies as best they can with all those towels. Perhaps even washing a few items of clothing in the sink. It's the only thing that makes sense for those half-hour uses, with the constant flushing, running the sink, and seemingly 50 paper towels.
Yes I have seen this too. And what is that odor that they leave in there. It smells the same, like all of the disgusting odors that man and beast can produce all rolled into one.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM

2,736 posts, read 4,292,749 times
Very reasonable.

I always walk into the nearest nice hotel to use the bathrooms on the main floor. Just walk in confidently. I've never been stopped. No hotel can recognize every one of their guests/friends of guests.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:16 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,088,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
1) Metal is hard

2) 1 plus 1 equals 2

3) We need air to breathe
1.) good point. I should have said to use the toe of your shoe to flip up the seat. On the other hand, metal toilets, usually seen in photos of prisons and other retaining institutions, dont have seats, so...

2.) Im sorry, but Im not following. Are you saying "pee plus pee equals poo"? o.0

3.) Please! This is the NYC forum. No one said anything about breathing air.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM

29,841 posts, read 24,531,959 times
Many pubic places now have signs saying "restrooms are for customer's only". Places are just fed up the homeless, druggies, drunks and anyone else trashing their loos.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,774,942 times
Defecating and urinating is a human right. Who here hasn't had stomach cramps and was 2 seconds short of having a major accident? Finding an open restroom is that situation is like finding an oasis in a desert and is a major relief.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,088,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many pubic places now have signs saying "restrooms are for customer's only". Places are just fed up the homeless, druggies, drunks and anyone else trashing their loos.
Bugsy, I know its probably a typo, but you have me LMAO right now.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 AM

899 posts, read 1,185,737 times
i was at a starbucks a few days ago in manhattan. they had a free bathroom to use for the public. this story hyped up the drama but didn't shut down toilets in every branch.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM

575 posts, read 654,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Aw, Manhattan used to have this policy. Back in the day you couldn't find a public place to pee in unless you had some coinage to put in the slot affixed to the door.

Sure people went under doors, people would trash the coin machine and steal the coins. Then finally one day the city got rid of those. Thank God. It's not pretty hopping around trying to find change or realizing you had no change for the time of calling.

That play Urinetown was based on paying to pee.lol

My guess is freaky people were probably hooking up in the bathrooms. I was told by an employee of Best Buy they stopped allowing shoppers access b/c people were having sex in them.
For real? I was in Best Buy at Union Square a couple of months ago and pretty sure I used the restroom. Which store told you this.

I am reading this thread thinking of where I can now get relief for my enlarged prostate when in Manhattan. Best Buy and Bryant Park came immediately to mind. I for one, am a regular Starbucks customer and cannot think of a rare occurrence when I would not make a purchase for the privilege of using their restroom. It's not like I would knock on some stranger's door and ask to use theirs.

Maybe as I venture thru all of the posts there will be other suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City