Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,899 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I would love to read opinions about our upcoming move.

My husband and I will be moving from San Francisco to NYC in July. We have a daughter who will just turn three when we move and I'm pregnant with our second child, due in July. My husband will be working for NYU at the medical center (lower east side). I will not be working for the first few months after we arrive but will likely start with per diem or part-time work as a veterinarian in the late fall.

We are researching neighborhoods now and will be doing a short scouting trip in December. Ideally, we would be near other families with small children, resepected schools (we know that private school is a strong probability here), playgrounds, parks and a low crime rate/safe neighborhood. We have heard good things about Brooklyn (Park Slope, Carroll Gardens), Murray Hill and Riverdale - all so geographically different.

1) What is your budget?
Maximum of $3500 but we'd like to stay lower as we're saving for a down payment on something...
No roomates, there will be enough of us as it is

2) Where is your job located?
NYU medical center for husband
Not sure for me just yet

3) Living circumstances
2 children: by the time we move a 3 year old daughter and newborn, gender unknown.

4) Space requirements
At least 2 bedrooms. Rental preferably. Torn between either a brownstone with a few families or a high-rise with gym, playroom for kids, etc. Each is appealing for different reasons.

5) Neighborhood amenities
We won't be getting out much initially with a newborn and all but some nice coffee shops, wine bars, decent restaurants would be nice. We must have parks/playgrounds nearby for the kids. Access to transportation must be within a few blocks - 2 kids plus whatever you went out for (groceries etc) just can't be schlepped all that far very easily.

6) Other interests/ General
I don't care about diversity so much, just safety and other children being around.

thanks in advance for any help - we are a little overwhelmed at this point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
I think a 2br will be a bit small if you're expecting a 3rd baby (but anyway, congratz!)

I'd look into some areas of Brooklyn and Queens that may have more space for the money, but not far commute wise. I have some friends and family in LIC and Woodside/Sunnyside (queens), they like it out there.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times
The UWS is very family friendly. I would also try to find a 3 bedroom but it might be over than 3,500.

Not sure if you would consider Hoboken, NJ but they have a 3 bedroom for your price.

vFlyer - Listings

Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent

Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
If you would be willing to live in a close-in suburb, you could rent a whole house plus backyard with washer/dryer for less. It would be more kid friendly with nicer parks, children's activites, and plenty of veterinary offices in the area. BTW NYU medical center is not in the lower east side.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'm looking at Queens on Craigs List just to get an idea now.

Thanks, Coney. This only shows how new I am to the area! Which area is NYU medical considered to be in then?
Which suburbs are you thinking of?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I suggest Forest Hills in Queens.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
If you would be willing to live in a close-in suburb, you could rent a whole house plus backyard with washer/dryer for less. It would be more kid friendly with nicer parks, children's activites, and plenty of veterinary offices in the area. BTW NYU medical center is not in the lower east side.
I concur with Coney.

The NYU medical complex is on the Upper West Side, York Ave and the river, 60s/70s. Unfortunately, it is not the most convenient commuter location, given the nearest subway runs along Lexington Avenue, several blocks away.

Also, because of its nearness to the Queensborough bridge, several additional medical complexes, a Univeristy, a major acution house (Southebys), narrow and busy York Ave, the number of people working and visiting the area, commuting by car is a major hassle, as well.

Given all that, I suggest you consider for your initial 'landing' the surrounding neighborhood. Desipte the above the area is relatively family friendly, with a large contingent of financially secure 'Yuppie' families. A fair number of stay at home moms, but an even larger number of working moms! Consequently, the majority of 'families' employ 'help' (nannies, house keepers, etc).

Visit the area, between Noon and 6, and you'll visibly note the nannies with their charges of all ages. The area is mostly composed of new and old Manhattan style tower apartment buildings and older walkup buildings. The area is NOT cheap. Your $3500 budget will likely put you at the bottom of the 2 bdrm market; BUT I suggest you check with the hospital, I'm sure they will assist you in finding housing in the area, and perhaps you may be lucky and they may place you in a building owned by the hospital.

You may not wish to 'stay' in the area, but it is a good place to start, then determine what is best for you. Either the near suburbs in NJ, or the gentrified neighborhoods of Brooklyn, Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights. Though in Brooklyn you will have to deal a myriad of 'diversified elements' (<--code word alert!) you may not be prepared for nor wish to. In the suburbs, overall, you will not.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Maybe there is more than one location. So, just for clarity, the location of my husbands work will be 550 1st Ave between E 30th and E 34th streets.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicapeeper View Post
Maybe there is more than one location. So, just for clarity, the location of my husbands work will be 550 1st Ave between E 30th and E 34th streets.
It might be worthwhile to live somewhere in NJ and then take a train into Penn Station for the crosstown bus. I mean, 1st Avenue is pretty far from the subway (the only train is the (6) at 33rd Street/Lexington Avenue), so it makes it harder to access from within NYC.

I mean if your husband doesn't mind a long (though relatively stress-free) commute, you can try Riverdale and take the BxM1 express bus down to 33rd Street/Lexington Avenue and then walk or take the crosstown bus to work. The trip is long, but the seats on the bus are comfortable so he can nap on them.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:06 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicapeeper View Post
Yes, I've been there many times. That's NYU. I guess you would call that area midtown or midtown east.

It really depends on whether you want a concrete living experience or something more green. It also depends on how long your husband wishes to commute and whether he only wants to use public transportation. Unfortunately, that medical center is not near a train and as I recall with gritted teeth, that crosstown 34th St. bus was slower than a snail. But you can check out the suburbs of northern NJ, western Nassau County or lower Westchester if you are looking for areas that consist primarily of families, rather than the mix you get in the city. You could certainly rent a whole house for that budget in Nassau. Also, everything is more expensive in Manhattan, food, gas, preschool, etc. and there is a NYC resident income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City