Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM

326 posts, read 470,481 times

Advertisements

isn't it true that sidewalk bicycling is illegal in new york city? if so, exactly which boroughs have banned bicycles from sidewalks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,047 times
NYCDOT - New York City Traffic Rules and Regulations for Bicycles (That Apply to Bicycles)

"4-07 (c) - Restrictions on crossing sidewalks
3. Driving bikes on sidewalks is prohibited unless sign allows or wheels are less than 26 inches in diameter and rider under 14 years of age. See also Administrative Code ¤19-176
."

Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 PM

326 posts, read 470,481 times
anyone else have any comment on this?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,171 times
In Central Park, they have bike lanes, so you can ride there. It's too congested to ride on the sidewalks anyway. Some people ride in the street (not the sidewalks), alongside the traffic (including bicycle messengers) but it's kind of hairy/scary. But some folks do it.

But sometimes you'll see a whole group of cyclists riding through an area. In the Bronx, for example, I think there's more places where bikers can get together for organized rides and I've heard of annual bike a thons or something there..

Old 09-01-2007, 07:15 AM

59 posts, read 232,881 times
I'm a year round bike commuter, and I live in the Bronx. My old commute to school was five miles each way during the week, and 15 miles to work on the weekend. At my new job the commute is shorter during the week - about 2.5 miles each way.

Yes, it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Three years ago I got a summons for riding my bike on the sidewalk along Boston Road in the Pelham Parkway section of the Bronx. As other posters have already noted however, more often than not the sidewalks are too congested to ride on. Studies have also shown that it is more dangerous to ride on sidewalks as well. If you're traveling at any kind of real speed you're liable to hit a pedestrian, or get hit by a car at intersections.

I would recommend you go to your local bike shop and get a copy of the NYC bike map. It's a very big, two sided detailed map of the city which shows you which streets are good to bike on (bike lanes, low traffic, ample shoulder) and which ones to avoid (high traffic, little room).

I'd be happy to answer any of your questions here, but I'd also highly recommend Bike Forums - lots of very experienced cyclists in NYC and other parts of the country who can give you invaluable advice.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 PM

314 posts, read 492,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeBronxite View Post
I'd be happy to answer any of your questions here
i was thinking of biking from bay ridge to brooklyn heights (court st. and montague st.). any suggestions on safe routes to take?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM

216 posts, read 992,827 times
take the bqe. lol

Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i was thinking of biking from bay ridge to brooklyn heights (court st. and montague st.). any suggestions on safe routes to take?

I'm afraid not - not familiar with that part of the city. This map would be a good start, but the physical version you can get at bike shops is even better. I know that posters on Bike Forums in the Northeast board would be able to answer you though. Lots of NYC commuters and messengers.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:28 AM

314 posts, read 492,494 times
thanks, bro. that helps a lot, actually.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 AM

No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: