Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:42 PM

988 posts, read 3,248,821 times

Advertisements

Whomever gets hot around week 13- week 15 will probably win it all. The Packers look the best but unfortunately for them, these past few years' super bowl were won by an underdog. The Packers were a huge underdog last year and won it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 AM

243 posts, read 1,331,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Whomever gets hot around week 13- week 15 will probably win it all. The Packers look the best but unfortunately for them, these past few years' super bowl were won by an underdog. The Packers were a huge underdog last year and won it all.
I hear ya (and gave you a rep) - But the Packers are the real deal and they are clicking on all cylinders this year. The 49'ers have a great record but they have been playing teams with under .500 records , so they are not as good as their record seems. They could play Green Bay in the conference finals , they are not going to the superbowl.

The AFC is more open. I am a Jets fan. I don't think the season is over. They can get hot and win 5 of the next 6 and get in. It's doable. New England has an easy schedule. The only way they don't win the division is if they beat themselves. But their defense sucks and they won't get any father than the conference finals , Brady or not , if that.

Pittsburgh is always a threat , but I don't think they're hungry. The Ravens look hungry. If I had to guess right now I'm calling it GB vs. BAL and GB winning it all.

But it is football. Anything can happen. One thing I like about the NFL is the parity among the teams. Anybody can beat anybody on any given day.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 AM

988 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
I hear ya (and gave you a rep) - But the Packers are the real deal and they are clicking on all cylinders this year. The 49'ers have a great record but they have been playing teams with under .500 records , so they are not as good as their record seems. They could play Green Bay in the conference finals , they are not going to the superbowl.

The AFC is more open. I am a Jets fan. I don't think the season is over. They can get hot and win 5 of the next 6 and get in. It's doable. New England has an easy schedule. The only way they don't win the division is if they beat themselves. But their defense sucks and they won't get any father than the conference finals , Brady or not , if that.

Pittsburgh is always a threat , but I don't think they're hungry. The Ravens look hungry. If I had to guess right now I'm calling it GB vs. BAL and GB winning it all.

But it is football. Anything can happen. One thing I like about the NFL is the parity among the teams. Anybody can beat anybody on any given day.
Thanks for the rep. I agree with you about the Packers. The Packers look unstoppable this year and SHOULD be the runaway favorite but the playoffs are a whole different animal. You're right though, no NFC team could really push them(well, maybe my Bears before Cutler got hurt). SF put up a good fight with Baltimore and was one bad chop block call away from possibly winning.

New Orleans doesn't convince me and the Giants are very inconsistent so the Packers should make it. The AFC is up for grabs. New England's D is still pretty weak, the Jets O is hurting(which I think dooms them), the Steelers are getting old and injured, and the Texans will be new into the playoffs and will probably lose the Wild Card game.

Baltimore has a sick Defense and some young guys mixed up in there. If they can focus and keep the foot on the petal, then they'll win the AFC. The Ravens vs. the Packers would be epic(unlike many people calling for Brady and the Patriots in which the Packers would blow them out).

Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,082 times
Now that this thread got serious I can put up what I really think of this year... Btw, to the OP no offense intended but when you started talking about the winless colts being a superbowl team you were really asking for it...

My take NFC is strong this year... Teams that I think can contend this year in the playoffs... Packers, 49ers, Giants, Saints, Bears, Cowboys, Eagles (I don't put too much stock on Atlanta's record because they've really been hit or miss lately... While the Saints have been this way too, they have proven that they can get hot in the playoffs so I give them as good a chance as any but they're not my favorites for the NFC...

Also the Lions... I don't know what the heck happened to them... They started off strong and now have really shown how they can be exposed and even dirty when pushed... (i.e. D. Suh against the Packers on thursday... that was just pathetic)...

I also think that the Giants are a legitimate contender if they can get all their players healthy... Without Bradshaw they have no run game and thats affecting everything offensively... But as tough as it will be... if they can muster up 4 tough wins in their upcoming schedule they have a real shot at making the playoffs and making some noise once in there...

In terms of the AFC, I don't really see it being that strong this year like it normally is... Teams that were normally a given to contend like the Chargers and Colts seem really weak this year and while there are some surprises forming... (Texans, Raiders, even Broncos)... I don't realy see those teams as contenders in the AFC... To me, the AFC right now boils down to four legitimate teams that can contend Steelers, Ravens, Patriots and Jets... While the Jets should be the hungriest since they have the most to prove I think the Ravens right now are far and beyond the hungriest team in the AFC...

And they have beat some serious competition... TO me, this year it seems like this team plays either up or down to their opponent which bodes well for them in the playoffs and they can be a surprise team in the superbowl... The teams they've lost too for the most part have been terrible teams but the games they've won have been quality wins...

With the Steelers, I don't think anyone can say that this team isn't hungry enough... This is just how they play in the regular season... It's ugly... No one gives them serious thought and then they end up making it to the superbowl... This is still my pick along with the packers in a repeat game this year...

With the Patriots, I think this team is a distant third after the Ravens and Steelers in terms of AFC... too many problems on defense, no legitimate deep threat and if Brady gets flushed in the pocket 90% of the time bad things will happen even though people hype him up to be the greatest QB to ever play the game...

And the Jets... I still say they're a contender and today's win was definitely a good one and they finally showed that they can win a game with Sanchez being the reason why... But they still have alot to prove for me at least before I give them a chance in the playoffs this year because there's too much chatter with this team where everyone speaks their mind regardless of how it affects the team... that on top of the issues on offense and the running defense...

My final point... to the person that said 49ers haven't played anyone... Please check your facts before speaking... 49ers have beaten alot of quality teams this year and from what I can remember the only two losses they've had are against legitimate superbowl contending teams in the Cowboys and Ravens... I'm not saying i'm picking them for the Superbowl but if Packers lose a game and it has any effect on them... that would be my best bet for who would represent the NFC this year...

Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 AM

28 posts, read 42,936 times
Anon1
Now that this thread got serious I can put up what I really think of this year... Btw, to the OP no offense intended but when you started talking about the winless colts being a superbowl team you were really asking for it...

am from liverpool england and have no clue who or what is the best team because my football is played with a round ball not an egg shaped 1 lol

All i wanted to know could a new york team get the final?. but that prob wont happen just thought it would of made for even better visit if nyc had a team in it.

Cheers all

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,082 times
@ EFC, right now theres a possibility that both teams could make it... This isn't like ten years ago when both teams were struggling or one was crap and the other was solid... Right now both teams have solid defenses and what one makes up for in the running game the other makes up for in the passing game...

If you were to ask me who do I think has a better chance... It's the giants hands down... While they have the tougher road... Eli's proven himself at QB in the playoffs and in the regular season now while Sanchez simply manages the game even through their wins in the playoffs... Also if the Giants do make the Playoffs this year they will have probably been the most tested team in all of football... Because they have to face a slew of playoff and potential Superbowl contending teams towards the end... I think it can happen because while I don't see them winning out because it's too much to ask for any team... They match up well against the teams the face and I think they probably have the best shot of beating the packers next week because of the Packers weak D and the Giants front four Defense. So to answer your question, with so much parity in the league and the way these New York teams are playing theres a chance we may even see the Giants vs. the Jets but your guess is as good as mine as to whose gonna be there in the end cause come playoff time, these games are anything but predictable...

Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 PM

160 posts, read 316,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
These guys are jerking your chain OP.

There is still half the season to go, so which teams will make it thru the playoffs and to the Superbowl is anyone's guess.

The most impressive teams so far are, the Green Bay Packers, last year's Champions and undefeated thus far, San Francisco 49ers, who are 7-1; New Oreans Saints, the year before's Champs with just a couple losses to date.

New York Giants with a 6-4 record, are in first place in their division, they have a rooster devasted by injuries with few staters healthy and playing, rookies fill key positions. So, if the Giants can get this far with a 'bench' team on the field, and no running game, one can only wonder what may occur once the team gets healthy. Unfortunately, the Giants have the toughest remaining schedule of all teams. Giants vs New Orleans Monday night!
The rooster is playing tonight, and they are sucking it (or another word for it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City