U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,764 times

Advertisements

I had received a letter from NY dept of labor stating that I may be eligible for extended benefits. It also included the work search form to be sent in at the end of every month while collecting extended benefits. I was able to certify for the first week of extended benefits but it was never released. I call the ny dept of labor and I talked to a supervisor who told me they had received a fax and because the Jobs Bill Act was not passed my benefits were on hold but to keep on certifying every week. When I called them again after 2 weeks went by I was told I was not eligible to collect extended benefits because I had already collected extended benefits on a previous claim. So I was told a completely different story. I've been certifying every week since the beginning of October. I haven't received another letter from them. Does anyone know anything about this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,486,650 times
Hey Erreat -- I also got that letter a few weeks ago along with the papers to mail in to show that i am actively looking for work. I have to send it this weekend. after that letter I haven't had any issues - after reading your post i logged in to see if my $ was released for this week and it said it was so we'll see what happens.. anything can change and u wont even know until ur $ doesn't come in.. they don't even send u a notification letting u know when ur time will be up.. its crazy!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM

40,771 posts, read 40,663,933 times
After you receive the letter that you may be eligible for extended benefits, one needs to send that work search form in at the end of every month until the extended benefits are over. If there is a unemployment benefits extension bill pending one needs to keep on doing that in order to get the benefits retroactively after the bill passes assuming that one is eligible for those extended benefits. When one's extended benefits are up, one does receive a letter of notification to that effect.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:57 PM

24,762 posts, read 34,755,928 times
I was under the impression that extended benefits up to 99 weeks were guaranteed through Dec, 31, 2011 under the deal that was struck between Obama and the Republicans extending the Bush tax cuts for the mega-wealthy through Dec.31, 2012. (A VERY expensive deal for the country.)

erreat,

Is it possible you have already received 99 weeks unemployment via 2 extended benefits periods?

It is unlikely that there will be any more extensions unless all taxes on millionaires and the corporations they own are eliminated completely.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,764 times
Kefir King

I received 99 weeks under another claim. Under the current claim I have I received through tier 4 and received a letter stating I may be eligible for extended benefits. I've been certifying weeks since the beginning of October without receiving any benefits. I was told that I can't receive extended benefits twice under 2 different claims.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erreat View Post
Kefir King

I received 99 weeks under another claim. Under the current claim I have I received through tier 4 and received a letter stating I may be eligible for extended benefits. I've been certifying weeks since the beginning of October without receiving any benefits. I was told that I can't receive extended benefits twice under 2 different claims.
So extended benefits are only for ONCE in this depression?
I guess come next month it will be the battle royale and Obama will give billionaires the blood of the poor to drink and all the gold left in Fort Knox, if any, in exchange for another short extension.

The rules are complicated. I have a firend who will need it soon and I tried to make heads or tales of the rules governing the extensions. It gave me a migraine.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 AM

If anyone really understands these various levels of extended benefits, please spell it out for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City