Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 PM

27 posts, read 75,381 times

Advertisements

I found an awesome deal on an apartment with the only (possible) catch being that it is with an older couple. Anyone try this before? Any downsides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Are you gonna listen to SLAYER with them?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Are you gonna listen to SLAYER with them?
Yes, but I only own headphones, but you never know they could be one of the few other metal head NYC residents!

One thing I have learned living in many thin-walled apartments is just because you like doesn't mean your neighbor (or everyone on the block) likes it. I've done the whole "who has the loudest stereo" competition before....nobody wins

Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times
As long as you know how to be a respectful, polite roommate- and your roommates are the same- it should work out just fine no matter what the age difference.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
I think it would be a very restrictive existence for a young adult.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I think it would be a very restrictive existence for a young adult.
I agree. Might be too much like living at home under your parents roof. Although, with the economy as it is that may be the reason for the couple to rent out a room and may be more-mind-their-own-business type so as to cover their expenses. I would say look into it and find out if there are going to be "restrictions" that go along with the room. Keep in mind that you are living under their roof.

I would suggest finding a roommate that is around the same age and single. At least there will be a feel of common space and being able to voice any issues that may arise. You may feel that you are able to move more freely with someone around your own age. When you are in your 40s you are pretty set in your ways so you may have to work around/with that.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I agree. Might be too much like living at home under your parents roof. Although, with the economy as it is that may be the reason for the couple to rent out a room and may be more-mind-their-own-business type so as to cover their expenses. I would say look into it and find out if there are going to be "restrictions" that go along with the room. Keep in mind that you are living under their roof.

I would suggest finding a roommate that is around the same age and single. At least there will be a feel of common space and being able to voice any issues that may arise. You may feel that you are able to move more freely with someone around your own age. When you are in your 40s you are pretty set in your ways so you may have to work around/with that.
While I agree it can be somewhat "restricting" only due to no real shared interest, it can't be THAT bad (I hope). One thing I do have to say is I would not being living under "their roof" as it is a split rent deal. Regardless of age I make sure to state that, while yea you where there first it is not just YOUR place. I find people seem to forget that I pay the same rent, which entitles me to the same stake in the apartment. That being said, I am almost like a ghost in my own apartment keeping to my own room (force of habit from living in a "communal style living arrangement" for a few years).

The one pro I could see about living with an older group would be stability in a living situation. I find that younger people while more fun can sometimes go overboard on the whole fun thing as well as be a bit more inconsiderate of other people. Plus people around my age seem to change their minds often and are often hypocritical (ex. you must be clean but I can be a pig)

Old 11-24-2011, 03:08 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer9019 View Post
While I agree it can be somewhat "restricting" only due to no real shared interest, it can't be THAT bad (I hope). One thing I do have to say is I would not being living under "their roof" as it is a split rent deal. Regardless of age I make sure to state that, while yea you where there first it is not just YOUR place. I find people seem to forget that I pay the same rent, which entitles me to the same stake in the apartment.
You may like to think that, but the "roof" belongs to the person(s) whose name is on the property 'deed', and/or the mortgage, or the lease.

Without your name on those documents, you have no rights of ownership nor possession. In other words, you have no stake!

You are a renter, subject to the rules and terms of the agreement between you, the renter and the leaseholder/owner. Without a lease, you can be evicted upon one month's notice, for ANY or no reason. Which, in effect, gives the leaseholder full and complete control.

Firsts, got nothing to do with it. Welcome to the adult world.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
If you are planning on a pregnancy, avoid the TANNIS ROOT.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You may like to think that, but the "roof" belongs to the person(s) whose name is on the property 'deed', and/or the mortgage, or the lease.

Without your name on those documents, you have no rights of ownership nor possession. In other words, you have no stake!

You are a renter, subject to the rules and terms of the agreement between you, the renter and the leaseholder/owner. Without a lease, you can be evicted upon one month's notice, for ANY or no reason. Which, in effect, gives the leaseholder full and complete control.

Firsts, got nothing to do with it. Welcome to the adult world.
Of course I would be on the lease! I've been in the "adult world" since I was 17. It is a rented apartment with separate leases. I've already made the mistake of renting without a lease...let's just say it sucked a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City