Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 10:40 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

This AM around 10 i set out to have breakfast Starbucks at River Plaza, do a bank transaction, then buy some food for dinner at The Garden Gourmet.

There were zero places to park by my apartment, Broadway was packed from my apt to River plaza. Not one place to park in the River Plaza lot and only Starbucks was open, everything else was closed

I had to go to the Riverdale Diner to eat then when i got out of there some of the parking spots were opened and i was able to park, shop and come home(there were a few spots in my neighborhood)

Why was everything so jam packed this AM and why was River Plaza lot packed full when only Starbucks was open (Target and the at least 5 other stores were closed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 AM

I know it must have been last minute holiday shoppers but why no spaces in my area and why was the River Plaza lot packed when the other stores for it were closed?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:18 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
People from Westchester were probably parking in the neighborhood to take the subway to midtown to watch the parade.They park in my neighborhood to take the subway to go to work in Manhattan every day.

Believe me,they know all the neighborhoods with safe,free parking on all the subway lines!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 AM

would River Plaza parking permit that on the holiday? Also the Riverdale Diner lot was packed but the diner only had a little more patrons inside it than usual

Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 AM

I'll bet they do that in Woodlawn to take advantage of the express buses and Bx 34

I wonder if they do that in Wakefield (the #2) or Norwood (the #4) on a daily basis

Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm sure they do it everywhere they can get away with it . My neighborhood is directly off the Bronx River Parkway exit and 2 blocks from a midtown express bus,the 5 train down the East side and the 2 train down the West side.They come right off the parkway,park almost immediately on Bronx Park East or other neighborhood streets and walk 1 1/2 blocks to the transportation area under the el on White Plains Road.

The weird thing is that most of the people who live in my building and neighborhood who have cars take them to work . Ironically , a lot of them work in Westchester.It's like a revolving door.As the residents pull their cars out of parking spots in the morning,the commuters pull right in and head for the subways or busses.Then in the evening it reverses.

I bet Long Islanders do it in Queens too.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-24-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I know it must have been last minute holiday shoppers but why no spaces in my area and why was the River Plaza lot packed when the other stores for it were closed?
Cocaine stuffed turkeys. Google it!! It's the new thing at the river plaza lot.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 PM

Mr K- yeah i did hear something about that at River Plaza. seriously.

bluedog--i experience the same thing. I get into my car at Lakeview Place, 252 street or Broadway and someone else is waiting for me to pull out so they can get in

bluedog does your area have any free parking spots where there are no meters or alternate side parking. starting at 251st street west of Broadway all the way up to Yonkers there is plenty of free parking (excluding the Fieldston area which is considered a private community) in my area

i might think that past a certain point like around Williamsbridge Rd in your area you can score streets with no parking restrictions. years ago when i worked at Bronx Psych Center for a few months i parked around Morris Park Avenue and W'bridge to go in to get a sandwich from an Italian deli, there was loads of restriction free parking around. and man was that sandwich good!!

Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 PM

There are alternate side restrictions in my neighborhood but it's only 1 day a week so it's pretty easy to work around.The only meters are on White Plains Road .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City