Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,605,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
Midday on 11.18.2017, I crossed the Whitestone Bridge and found 4 troopers idling their cars at various places. One spot that appears to be built for police is when the cables to the Bronx anchorage pass through the bridge structure, and the shoulder first appears. I suspect these stake-outs (4 seen in the 2 minutes it took to cross the bridge) are looking for obscured license plates. And that I cheer.
---
Crossing the Throgs Neck bridge a few hours later, I spotted 2 troopers.
---
In both directions, no MTA cops were spotted. Do they refuse to stop people who evade Andy's tolls?

Far more obscured license plates can be observed on the Long Island Parkways than on these two bridges to The Bronx.
It's a colossal joke. Andy wants to show muscle in NYC but everyone is already laughing at him for his elaborate subway station ceremonies when the rest of the system is literally falling apart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,554,558 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt Politician View Post
In New York State, if you go to anywhere but NYC, a state trooper isn't too hard to find. In my 18 years of living in this city (14 of them having full memory of) I've not once seen a state trooper here. I've seen NYC sheriff cars a few times but thats about it.

According to the official website, there are indeed troopers stationed here. I also found a picture of a state Trooper, however the article notes it's a Troop L car, which covers long Island. NYC is it's own troop.

So it bugs me that while they claim to have troopers here, I've never seen one. Have any of you ever seen one? Thoughts, reactions?
No, not in the boros of NYC, only upstate where I see them frequently.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,732,599 times
By NYC bridges, airport, tunnels, BQE, tourists areas, highway in The Bronx I see them. Upstate and Western New York you see them heavily they hide in unmarked and marked cars on highway or to side you can’t see them till it too late. You will see them in NYC area not heavily like Upstate New York/Long Island. NYC already heavily patrol by NYPD. They enforced speed limits Upstate very heavily

Old 11-20-2017, 09:01 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,197,734 times
see them once in a while on LIE, around freshmeadows area

Old 11-21-2017, 04:00 AM

105,693 posts, read 107,682,511 times
the troopers were given special readers that can get a notification when a driver passes through the toll readers has not paid the past tolls they owe . they can then run them down and catch them .

Old 11-23-2017, 06:37 AM

20 posts, read 15,490 times
I don't think I've ever seen a New York state police car in my life, ever...

Old 11-23-2017, 07:27 AM

3,672 posts, read 3,399,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
Midday on 11.18.2017, I crossed the Whitestone Bridge and found 4 troopers idling their cars at various places. One spot that appears to be built for police is when the cables to the Bronx anchorage pass through the bridge structure, and the shoulder first appears. I suspect these stake-outs (4 seen in the 2 minutes it took to cross the bridge) are looking for obscured license plates. And that I cheer.
---
Crossing the Throgs Neck bridge a few hours later, I spotted 2 troopers.
---
In both directions, no MTA cops were spotted. Do they refuse to stop people who evade Andy's tolls?

Far more obscured license plates can be observed on the Long Island Parkways than on these two bridges to The Bronx.
FYI the Bridge and Tunnel Officer cars are now painted to mimic State Trooper Cars. You can tell them apart by the plate and writing on the rear/front.

Bridge/Tunnel Police say "NEW YORK STATE" or "Highway" on the side. Trooper cars say "STATE POLICE"
Also different patch on the front doors.

For example, here is a newly painted Bridge and Tunnel car

Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 AM

3,672 posts, read 3,399,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the troopers were given special readers that can get a notification when a driver passes through the toll readers has not paid the past tolls they owe . they can then run them down and catch them .
Correct, State Troopers, NYPD and Bridge/Tunnel Police have had LPR's installed on their cars for years. As you drive by it runs your plate against a known database of wanted criminals, people who have outstanding warrants, outstanding fines, etc. Basically they can program it to whatever they are looking for.

Also, the cops also look for are mangled plates or plates with covers on them or people who have peeled or painted parts of their plate to try and avoid toll charges.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
NYS troopers and NYS police patrol NYC transit hubs such as LGA, JFK, MTA Penn Station, MTA Grand Central Terminal, Port Authority Bus Terminal, Fulton Transit Center and World Trade Center. This is where I have seen them mostly. I also saw one patrolling Yankee Stadium. NYS Troopers are at times posted at DMV locations throughout the city. Some months ago, NYPD, PAPD, MTAPD, NYSTP and Amtrak police arrived on to a minor crime scene within a flash. I have to say that NYC has way too much law enforcement these days. You also have Homeland security, FBI, ATF offices here, state and federal court officers, city, state and federal prison guards or correctional officers. This city has way too much law enforcement.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:18 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,732,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYS troopers and NYS police patrol NYC transit hubs such as LGA, JFK, MTA Penn Station, MTA Grand Central Terminal, Port Authority Bus Terminal, Fulton Transit Center and World Trade Center. This is where I have seen them mostly. I also saw one patrolling Yankee Stadium. NYS Troopers are at times posted at DMV locations throughout the city. Some months ago, NYPD, PAPD, MTAPD, NYSTP and Amtrak police arrived on to a minor crime scene within a flash. I have to say that NYC has way too much law enforcement these days. You also have Homeland security, FBI, ATF offices here, state and federal court officers, city, state and federal prison guards or correctional officers. This city has way too much law enforcement.
I see a lot of NPYD driving 2016 Honda Accord, Kia Optima, infinit SUV as unmarked vehicles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City