Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,706 times

Advertisements

A quick scan through the forum and I think the time I have is close but may make it but here's my question anyways.

I'm coming landing at JFK at 2:15 PM. I then have a flight at LGA at 6:30 PM. I'm an international passenger so barring any delays from the airline, it this 4 hour 15 min window good enough for immigration and to make it to LGA on time? Travelling light so luggage not a concern. I can take a shuttle or cab depending on suggestions and traffic at the hour. What's the recommendation on that one?

Any replies appreciated.

Last edited by markrodricks; 01-26-2016 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Added travel options details to the post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrodricks View Post
A quick scan through the forum and I think the time I have is close but may make it but here's my question anyways.

I'm coming landing at JFK at 2:15 PM. I then have a flight at LGA at 6:30 PM. I'm an international passenger so barring any delays from the airline, it this 4 hour 15 min window good enough for immigration and to make it to LGA on time? Travelling light so luggage not a concern. I can take a shuttle or cab depending on suggestions and traffic at the hour. What's the recommendation on that one?

Any replies appreciated.
It should be okay if you have no checked in luggage and no delay on your incoming flight to JFK.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:32 AM

436 posts, read 565,075 times
If you want to save a bit on getting between airports, you can take the JFK Airtrain to the E train and then take the E train to Roosevelt Ave. for the Q70 bus that'll get you to LaGuardia airport. That should be about an hour trip at worst and much less costly than taking a taxi (which is also subject to traffic on the road during that time).

Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 AM

44 posts, read 80,614 times
Quote:

Any replies appreciated.

You might be cutting it close around that time due to school being let out and just traffic in general. You'll probably end up leaving JFK around 3:30-4 After get your bags, and make it through customs. JFK and LGA are about 20 mins apart w/o traffic. If you're flight leaves at 6:30, and you make it to LGA from JFK around 4:30-5 you should be fine. pending you can make it through security quickly.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Is it cheaper to fly through two airports instead of just one? This all depends on everything being on time. If your first flight is delayed, you may be screwed. On the weekends, the subway and buses are all messed up so it may take you longer if you go that route between airports. You might also hit a traffic jam going between airports. It might be doable but there is no margin for delays.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It should be okay if you have no checked in luggage and no delay on your incoming flight to JFK.
Thanks Chava. I would have checked in luggage but less. I did specify traveling light because I thought if there's any other transportation option other than cabs that's cheaper I could look at that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
If you want to save a bit on getting between airports, you can take the JFK Airtrain to the E train and then take the E train to Roosevelt Ave. for the Q70 bus that'll get you to LaGuardia airport. That should be about an hour trip at worst and much less costly than taking a taxi (which is also subject to traffic on the road during that time).
I'm going to keep a tab on this. But on the face of things, an hour maybe way too much for me. Still, I appreciate the suggestion. Praying that there's 0 delay and faster immigration so I can give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLE. View Post
You might be cutting it close around that time due to school being let out and just traffic in general. You'll probably end up leaving JFK around 3:30-4 After get your bags, and make it through customs. JFK and LGA are about 20 mins apart w/o traffic. If you're flight leaves at 6:30, and you make it to LGA from JFK around 4:30-5 you should be fine. pending you can make it through security quickly.
Thanks Elle. I come in on a weekday so I guess I am going to get the schools traffic. Appreciate the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Is it cheaper to fly through two airports instead of just one? This all depends on everything being on time. If your first flight is delayed, you may be screwed. On the weekends, the subway and buses are all messed up so it may take you longer if you go that route between airports. You might also hit a traffic jam going between airports. It might be doable but there is no margin for delays.
For the 2 airports instead of 1 bit, I guess it is cheaper. Also, I am coming in on Qatar which only flys JFK and then on Envoy Air (I think) onwards to Columbus. American flies on only cream routes from JFK hence have to switch to LGA.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. With pretty much everyone agreeing there's no scope for onward flight being delayed or traffic and immigration etc., would you recommend me changing my onwards flight from LGA to a tad bit later? A quick check on Flightradar24 shows barring the snow delays, QR has been making in or before time to JFK. Any suggestions welcome.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:42 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Thanks Chava. I would have checked in luggage but less. I did specify traveling light because I thought if there's any other transportation option other than cabs that's cheaper I could look at that option.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. With pretty much everyone agreeing there's no scope for onward flight being delayed or traffic and immigration etc., would you recommend me changing my onwards flight from LGA to a tad bit later? A quick check on Flightradar24 shows barring the snow delays, QR has been making in or before time to JFK. Any suggestions welcome.
If you have checked in luggage it will probably take more time to exit JFK. So if it is possible to make your flight from LGA a bit later, I think that is better. Should things go smoothly (and you have more time with a later flight) then it is worth taking public transportation (JFK Airtrain to E subway train to Q70LTD bus to LGA) with the option of a taxi if you are tight on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City