Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,913 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to NYC this Saturday and I expect to get to the tunnel around noon. Just curious about the type of traffic I might be dealing with. I'd like to get to my lower Manhattan hotel by 2:00-3:00pm. It's also been mentioned to me to take the Path train from Jersey City into the city which I assume would bypass a lot of that traffic but I'd prefer to have my vehicle close by in the city.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Well due to Construction on the Jersey City , which is worse on Weekends you can be sitting there for 1-2hrs.... So the PATH train which you can park in Harrison,NJ and take that would avoid most of the construction and traffic...

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Are you saying I might run into this type of traffic going through the Holland Tunnel and/or going to a Path station in Jersey City? Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am95 View Post
Are you saying I might run into this type of traffic going through the Holland Tunnel and/or going to a Path station in Jersey City? Thanks
No , the PATH station were you park is in Harrison,NJ just off I-280 which you would avoid all the construction and grid lock that occurs around this time of year. And yes you'll run into congestion getting to the Holland , every Highway in Jersey City is under construction reduced to 1 lane in some areas...

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
At noon, the trip through either tunnel may not be too difficult, but do check traffic reports as you are on the approach. If the Holland has extensive delays, then I would head for the Lincoln as you can usually get downtown rather easily from the Lincoln at that time of day. Is it possible for you to get to the tunnel a tad earlier? Earlier in the day on a weekend can make a difference with respect to traffic delays in the area. One reason that the Holland may be problematic is the approach, where you would have to contend not only with the stoplights, but the Newport Centre traffic which tends to magnify delays in the area. Another benefit to planning a slightly earlier crossing is that you would qualify for the off-peak toll rate via EZ Pass. If you don't have any EZ Pass, but are coming from a state that has them, get one before the trip.

Once into the tunnel, traffic can flow, but that depends upon the Manhattan side of the tunnel, as there are days when you inch through the tunnel, and others when you can drive through without any difficulty. You do not have to contend with shopping malls on the Manhattah side, but the streets are smaller, have stoplights, and there will be more pedestrians. Unless there is a major event/festival/etc. in Manhattan, specifically Lower Manhattan, the Holland should not be adversely affected by abnormal traffic in the area.

My best advice, as a driver, is to plan on a late breakfast/brunch/lunch on Saturday in Manhattan at a great place so that you are through the tunnel by 11, even if your hotel is not ready until 2-3pm. If garaging at the hotel, you can have the bell captain hold your luggage, valet your car, have a good meal, and be refreshed, rather than dealing with the mind-numbing stop-and-go traffic that can plague the Hudson crossings on heavy travel days. Basically NYC is in season again from Thanksgiving to Christmas, though it's not as bad earlier in the holiday season as the public displays are not in full force, combined with seasonal shows, etc., but it will be a bit busier than a regular Saturday.

ETA: One thing to remember in Manhattan, especially by the tunnels, is do not enter the intersection if you cannot clear it entirely during a light cycle. If you enter the intersection, and the light changes, you will get a hefty ticket, and traffic officers seemingly appear out of the ether around the tunnels. Some intersections are marked with a box, but not all are, so watch the lights, and space requirements for your car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 AM

Thanks Nexis4Jersey and bmwguydc.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Noon on a Saturday should not be a problem getting thought the Tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City