Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:04 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,689 times

Advertisements

Mayor Michael Bloomberg: If I Had It My Way I'd Dump Half Of New York City's Teachers « CBS New York

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
He is absolutely correct on this. Especially his assertion about increasing the compensation of those teachers who would be left.

I've said the same thing at the company I work at. If they fired the lazy, incompetent workers they then could raise the wages of those that are actually productive. By providing more incentive, the productive workers would work even harder and overall productivity would increase.
Instead, the productive workers suffer because of the lazy, apathetic, and incompetent.

Same goes with teachers and education.

I bash Bloomberg a lot but he is 100% correct here.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
He is absolutely correct on this. Especially his assertion about increasing the compensation of those teachers who would be left.

I've said the same thing at the company I work at. If they fired the lazy, incompetent workers they then could raise the wages of those that are actually productive. By providing more incentive, the productive workers would work even harder and overall productivity would increase.
Instead, the productive workers suffer because of the lazy, apathetic, and incompetent.

Same goes with teachers and education.

I bash Bloomberg a lot but he is 100% correct here.
I agree 100% with what you said. But the teacher's union and the liberals aka democrats won't have none of that. A-hole public advocate and very liberal democrat Bill Diblasio was bashing mayor bloomberg for that. Typical.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times
As a former public school teacher I would have to say I agree with the fact that we need to get rid of lazy teachers who aren't getting results in the classroom.

However, I also have to say that an increase in class size would only make things worse as far as student progress goes. There is not a teacher alive who would disagree that there is a big difference in working with 20 students vs 35.

Students learn best when they are able to individualized and small group instruction. No way one teacher is going to be able to focus on 35 elementary/middle school aged students.

Just not a reasonable answer.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
I went to parochial (Catholic) schools with never less than 50 students per class, sometimes 65. Looking back it was horrific but I still managed to teach myself.

GOD, such a waste of time that was Bible History and the Baltimore Catechism. If there really was a god, heads would roll for torturing children.

Perhaps teachers should be asked if 50% of OTHER City governmental functionaries should be abolished?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
As a former public school teacher I would have to say I agree with the fact that we need to get rid of lazy teachers who aren't getting results in the classroom.

However, I also have to say that an increase in class size would only make things worse as far as student progress goes. There is not a teacher alive who would disagree that there is a big difference in working with 20 students vs 35.

Students learn best when they are able to individualized and small group instruction. No way one teacher is going to be able to focus on 35 elementary/middle school aged students.

Just not a reasonable answer.
As a current teacher I couldn't agree more.Getting rid of lazy, ineffective teachers ,sure.Doubling current class sizes ? Disaster.

I'd love to see some of the previous responders on this thread face a class of 70 ( it's already frequently 35) South Bronx middle or high school kids.They wouldn't last 1 hour.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
I disagree that it's all about the quality of the teacher. Yeah, that might have something to do with it, but a lot of it has to do with how motivated the students are.

For instance, I've had many of my friends complain about how the teacher moves too fast or doesn't spend enough time covering certain topics because they were too busy focusing on a different topic. However, if they had attended the free tutoring offered after school or had asked the teacher to help them out with a certain topic, or even asked a smart classmate (like myself) to help them out, they would've done better.

I mean, a student who generally scores in the 90s is going to score in the 90s regardless of what teacher they have. The same for a student who scores in the 60s. The quality of the teacher and the class size aren't really the determining factors. I've had averages of 100+ in high school. If you gave me a mediocre teacher and put me into a class with 50 other students, maybe my grade would drop slightly, but not dramatically.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Honestly even though I think it's wrong that teachers are being laid off like crazy, NYC has some of the worst public school teachers in the country, bar none. One of the many reasons why I would never raise kids here.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
I wonder when the politicians will ever have the nerve to confront the real problem? The cultures that many of these kids are immersed in are to blame. You can't tell me that half of the teachers in NYC who should be college educated are inferior. It boggles the mind.

Keep in mind. I'm a conservative anti-union type but this blame teachers meme is corrosive, unproductive and incorrect.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I wonder when the politicians will ever have the nerve to confront the real problem? The cultures that many of these kids are immersed in are to blame. You can't tell me that half of the teachers in NYC who should be college educated are inferior. It boggles the mind.

Keep in mind. I'm a conservative anti-union type but this blame teachers meme is corrosive, unproductive and incorrect.
True indeed. Much of the problems with these schools is the teachers but also the students. Most problems stem from the home and brought into the school. WHen you have many single parent homes and abusive fathers or having a mother work from 9-7 pm there is going to be problems with a students development and learning in school. Parents also need to get involved with childrens learning in school, if they dont then thier kids will be a lost cause and slowly and surely end up in the prison industrial system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City