Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

How many of you choose to live in a metro area like NYC because you prefer not to drive?

I was thinking how a yearly metro pass (or whatever time period you buy one for) would probably be quite expensive. Then I realize that when you're not paying car insurance, car maintenance, payments, gas etc. it's really just a small % of what you would pay.

I live in an area where it's necessary to have a car and I really get tired of all the traffic. I also get tired of having to worry about getting in accidents. In the last 6 months I've had two people rear end me. Fortunately it was not any damage because they were going slow but it just gets so annoying having to go through those things.

So how many of you feel that being able to take the subway conviently is a big reason you stay in the NYC metro area?

Btw, I know some people have cars who live in NYC but I know quite a bit do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I stay in NYC because I prefer urban living, I'm used to urban living, and I prefer to have less than a half hour commute to work. I don't mind not having a car, but it's not the primary reason I live here. The lower rent moving to the suburbs would likely offset the cost of the car anyway.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Well, as long as you seem to be polling us...

I was born in Brooklyn. I choose to live here because it's my hometown. Driving doesn't enter the equation at all, as far as I'm concerned. It happens that living in the city means I don't need a car (and if the need should somehow arise, I've got a license; I could certainly rent one).

Old 11-30-2011, 01:39 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, as long as you seem to be polling us...

I was born in Brooklyn. I choose to live here because it's my hometown. Driving doesn't enter the equation at all, as far as I'm concerned. It happens that living in the city means I don't need a car (and if the need should somehow arise, I've got a license; I could certainly rent one).

I have to agree with Fred on this. For I am also a native Brooklynite, and will probably die here. It is nice to know that you don't have to have a car, I am guilty though, I do have a pick up, but the train at the corner is a beautiful thing.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
I've lived in Manhattan so long I don't know how to drive- never had to until now! I'm getting my learners permit and going to take driving classes since I'm relocating to either Nashville or Dallas next summer. A car isn't optional in those locations.

While I prefer not to drive, there are some unexpected trade-offs in the NYC metro area where population density is high. Mass transit doesn't save as much time as it should considering the small distances: service is crap, rush hour is sardine-can hell, and track work turns the service to molasses on weekends.

Another trade off is the crowds and population density causing outrageous time-sinks. Sure I can walk to all the shopping one could need- USQ whole foods, Trader Joes, etc, in less than 5 minutes. But once I arrive the crowds inside the stores are SO thick it takes me over a half hour just to collect all the things I need, and then an additional 30-45 minutes waiting in line just to get to the cashier. The lines in TJs and USQ whole foods are often wrapped around the entire store!!! Where's the convenience in that? There aren't many other places to shop, mind you, so I'm stuck with this whether I like it or not. And I've tried doing my shopping at 8am on Saturday to avoid the crowds only to find that nothing is re-stocked until 10 when the crowds hit- lazy bastards! You should be ready to hit the ground running when you OPEN, not two hours after you open, friggin bastards...

SO I don't feel that there is much benefit to "not having to drive" anymore when the time-sinks are eating up far more of my time than if I lived in a suburban area and had to drive everywhere.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:17 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
I certainly do.

I love being in an area where a car is a luxury as opposed to a necessity.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I've lived in Manhattan so long I don't know how to drive- never had to until now! I'm getting my learners permit and going to take driving classes since I'm relocating to either Nashville or Dallas next summer.

How does it feel to be an older driver? (I don't mean older negatively - no clue your age!) I ask because my husband never learned to drive either. He was recently talking about taking driving lessons since it's sometimes annoying when we go away and rent a car that only I can drive.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
How does it feel to be an older driver? (I don't mean older negatively - no clue your age!) I ask because my husband never learned to drive either. He was recently talking about taking driving lessons since it's sometimes annoying when we go away and rent a car that only I can drive.
Lol, no worries!

The only things that concern me about being an older driver are:

1) Even though I'm older and more than responsible than a 16 year old, I'll have to pay the same high insurance rates as teeny-boppers until I've proven to the insurance company (over time) that I'm not a car accident waiting to happen. Not that I blame the insurance companies for that, it's just the way it is. I'm high risk because I'm a new driver.

2) That car rental places won't allow me to drive their cars until I have some driving experience under my belt. I have the same problem that you mentioned where the spouse is always the one stuck driving when we travel. But once I get my license, he'll still be the one driving the rentals for a while.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Lol, no worries!

The only things that concern me about being an older driver are:

1) Even though I'm older and more than responsible than a 16 year old, I'll have to pay the same high insurance rates as teeny-boppers until I've proven to the insurance company (over time) that I'm not a car accident waiting to happen. Not that I blame the insurance companies for that, it's just the way it is. I'm high risk because I'm a new driver.

2) That car rental places won't allow me to drive their cars until I have some driving experience under my belt. I have the same problem that you mentioned where the spouse is always the one stuck driving when we travel. But once I get my license, he'll still be the one driving the rentals for a while.

Is it sad that I'm only afraid to let my husband learn how to drive?? Not that I think he would be a poor driver - but to be a new driver is just scary! Even though I've driven by years (albeit, never owned a car and only drive occasionally), I still find driving on the BQE or Cross Bronx to be intense!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Is it sad that I'm only afraid to let my husband learn how to drive?? Not that I think he would be a poor driver - but to be a new driver is just scary! Even though I've driven by years (albeit, never owned a car and only drive occasionally), I still find driving on the BQE or Cross Bronx to be intense!
I hear that to drive anywhere in NYC you need nerves of steel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City