Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:14 PM

565 posts, read 361,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Living and working in the Center of the Big Apple- Manhattan- used to be a dream of many kids who lived in places like Brooklyn and the Bronx. In the past a large number of New York residents lived their whole life never leaving their neighborhoods let alone going into Manhattan.

While the average person is more worldly today, I wonder if there is still a number of people who live in places like The Bronx, Stanton Island, Queens, or Brooklyn who just never got around to seeing Manhattan.

Do you know of anyone like that and how common is this among New Yorkers in 2011?
One place I've never been in my 48 years as a native is Harlem. I'd like to check out some of its history one day. But, as you know, whitey gotta watch where he/she go these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 10:26 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Alright. I know you like to go on your treks. When the weather warms up, take the ferry to Staten Island. Set your alarm and go for an hour walk around the area by the Ferry. Then treat yourself to a sweet treat before you get back on the ferry to go home.
You know...I really should. You've given me an idea! Just so I can finally say, I've been to State Island! I don't even know where the ferry's at. I'll google it.

As for "upper Manhattan", I agree with you. It's not all that bad. You just have to know where you're going (don't zone out) because it's a block by block kind of thing. I can't wait until the weather gets nicer so I can make longer treks.

But what I really hope is that by Sept, they'll be some semblance of normalcy i.e. restaurants fully open, B'way, ballet, opera back on, tourists back (I can't believe I actually miss them) as well as office workers. sigh.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:17 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I don't know anyone from the outer boroughs who hasn't been to Manhattan.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:14 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
One place I've never been in my 48 years as a native is Harlem. I'd like to check out some of its history one day. But, as you know, whitey gotta watch where he/she go these days!
You are so off-base it's not funny, Doogie Howser even lives in Harlem

Like man you live in a bubble! Like u been in a pandemic with yourself before the pandemic even started. Like I said, blame yourself, your friends, and your family for Flushing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-20-2021, 07:23 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
As others said it's common in poorer neighborhoods. And maybe it was more common back in the day then now. I know I spent a lot of time in the Bronx, over by University as a young adult. I lived in Harlem then. When I'd be out with my friends, all the guys couldn't believe I lived so far away and in Manhattan. Many of them had never been. These were guys young to mid 20's.

I feel like this has to be a pretty low threshold for what "common" means.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:36 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I feel like this has to be a pretty low threshold for what "common" means.
Nope. Increase your people circle. It's the same as my area now. Many never leave a 5 block radius in all directions.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:40 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Nope. Increase your people circle. It's the same as my area now. Many never leave a 5 block radius in all directions.

I think we have different definitions of what common is. If you know a social circle that has never ever left a 5 block radius and are adults, that doesn't mean the majority of the people living in that neighborhood have never done so. I think this is more about what you consider common. Yea, sure, a lot of people don't move during the pandemic and without the pandemic live lives that are mostly within a pretty small radius if they aren't commuters. However, a good proportion of people do commute and within the numbers that don't, a pretty large proportion of people have likely at least at some point gone to Manhattan. Are you talking about there being one square mile of residents in NYC where more than 10% of adult residents have never stepped foot in Manhattan in all their lives? And even then, I think 10% is a pretty loose use of "common" even after trying to cherrypick for just 1 square mile of residents in the outer boroughs.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-20-2021 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 08:37 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
I know people in the Bronx who have never been to Brooklyn or Queens but Manhattan seems unlikely given its central location

Old 03-20-2021, 08:38 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think we have different definitions of what common is. If you know a social circle that has never ever left a 5 block radius and are adults, that doesn't mean the majority of the people living in that neighborhood have never done so. I think this is more about what you consider common. Yea, sure, a lot of people don't move during the pandemic and without the pandemic live lives that are mostly within a pretty small radius if they aren't commuters. However, a good proportion of people do commute and within the numbers that don't, a pretty large proportion of people have likely at least at some point gone to Manhattan. Are you talking about there being one square mile of residents in NYC where more than 10% of adult residents have never stepped foot in Manhattan in all their lives? And even then, I think 10% is a pretty loose use of "common" even after trying to cherrypick for just 1 square mile of residents in the outer boroughs.
I'm saying you don't understand the life of the hood or the projects or low income areas.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are plenty of old timers in Rockaway who have never traveled to Manhattan. If you have a car, it's so much easier to just hop over to Nassau County.

One of my friends lived right under the A train, but never took it in her entire life. Her father drove her to get whatever she needed in Nassau county and after she got older, she drove herself. To this day, she is clueless about the subway.
Yes, my father in law lives in Coney Island. Has only been to NYC once or twice a year. Afraid to take the subways and only drives within the area. His Nissan Maxima is made in 2003 has only 30k mis. It looks beat up because parking in Brooklyn is terrible but the car is rarely driven and he never even takes vacation.

There are lots of NYC hermits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City