Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 12:01 PM

360 posts, read 167,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Upper Manhattan is home to one of the best hospitals in the city, arguably country.
And I do my best to avoid hospitals. They're not exactly a tourist destination. I grew up in low income housing projects in Lower Manhattan. Going north of 125th street I am going to see the same things again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 12:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,305 times
I can honestly say I’ve been to every borough ( all five !) in the past TWO weeks for either work or pleasure visits. My first time in Staten Island in maybe 20 years
So proud of me !

Old 03-22-2021, 07:54 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, and I'm saying you don't seem to have a clear idea of what common means.

I was half expecting to hear the First few bars of "Fanfare For The Common Man" there for a second or two.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:36 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You sure are a man that can't admit you see things differently and perhaps your way isn't always correct.
I will give you one example. In a building I know 30 people. There are about 50 apts. Most of those 30 people have never been to Manhattan so therefore in the group/building it was common to not have been to Manhattan. Just because you don't know these people or reg go and socialize with people in certain areas does not mean its not common.

Is your building a neighborhood? And do you really know that the adults you've talked have never once been to Manhattan? Mind you, this isn't saying that you don't know any adult residents who have never been to Manhattan or that they don't exist.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-22-2021 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-22-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
One place I've never been in my 48 years as a native is Harlem. I'd like to check out some of its history one day. But, as you know, whitey gotta watch where he/she go these days!

Well, if you've never been to Manhattan, then it stands to reason that you would have never been to Harlem. There are places in Manhattan where the majority of the neighborhood is white though.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 AM

5,676 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Quote:
Is your building a neighborhood? And do you really know that the adults you've talked have never once been to Manhattan? Mind you, this isn't saying that you don't know any adult residents who have never been to Manhattan or that they don't exist.
Yes I really know all those people. How many times do I need to tell you
Just because you don't happen to know a lot of people who don't go to Manhattan does not mean its not common in some areas/cultures to stay local.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Yes I really know all those people. How many times do I need to tell you
Just because you don't happen to know a lot of people who don't go to Manhattan does not mean its not common in some areas/cultures to stay local.

Staying local isn't the same thing as having never been to Manhattan. Your social group is not necessarily a neighborhood by itself. It could be that I have no clue how people in some neighborhoods live and I know my time living in economically depressed neighborhoods isn't representative of all people in such neighborhoods, but at the same time, it would seem like that would apply to you as well. The OP's question was *never* having been to Manhattan which is different from people who "don't go to Manhattan." Never would mean not even once for any occasion whereas you're saying "don't go to Manhattan" seems more like people who conduct the vast majority of their lives within a local area which definitely exists and is pretty common.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-22-2021 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-22-2021, 10:40 AM

325 posts, read 199,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
And I do my best to avoid hospitals. They're not exactly a tourist destination. I grew up in low income housing projects in Lower Manhattan. Going north of 125th street I am going to see the same things again.
You don’t need to go north of 125th to see that . Projects start to build up around the 90s on both the west and east side .

Old 03-22-2021, 10:46 AM

5,676 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Quote:
Staying local isn't the same thing as having never been to Manhattan. Your social group is not necessarily a neighborhood by itself. It could be that I have no clue how people in some neighborhoods live and I know my time living in economically depressed neighborhoods isn't representative of all people in such neighborhoods, but at the same time, it would seem like that would apply to you as well. The OP's question was *never* having been to Manhattan which is different from people who "don't go to Manhattan." Never would mean not even once for any occasion whereas you're saying "don't go to Manhattan" seems more like people who conduct the vast majority of their lives within a local area which definitely exists and is pretty common.
Seriously what is with you. Are You such a small man to realize you don't know everything. GET it through your head please I am talking about actual people, in an actual building that have NEVER been to Manhattan. Why the heck would I make this up. Seriously. Staying local means staying in the neighborhood and not leaving it to go to Manhattan

Old 03-22-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Seriously what is with you. Are You such a small man to realize you don't know everything. GET it through your head please I am talking about actual people, in an actual building that have NEVER been to Manhattan. Why the heck would I make this up. Seriously. Staying local means staying in the neighborhood and not leaving it to go to Manhattan
What is going on here? Are you so small-minded that you think what's going on in your immediate circle is going to be applicable to the entire neighborhood?

Staying in the neighborhood and not leaving it for your needs does not mean the same thing as never having left the neighborhood at any point, and the latter is what the OP was explicitly asking. It seems like you're confusing the two things.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-22-2021 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City