Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM

144 posts, read 324,540 times

Advertisements

I'm on 143rd and 3rd ave - know the area for over 30 years.

In the past 5 days 3 teenagers have been shot within a ~2 block radius. Just moments ago, I heard more gunshots. It feels like spring time with the amount of sirens heard weekly.

At least two made it to the paper this week:

Teen found dead, shot in the head in the Bronx | 7online.com

One teen murdered, another wounded in the Bronx | 7online.com

spot-crime.com has gave up reporting the area...it was never accurate anyway. Bronx, NY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Bronx - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Amazing how many shootings go unnoticed/unreported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
To me Mott Haven is the worst neighborhood in NYC. I think it's one of the worst places in the country. It is the genesis of the south Bronx, and nowadays it stands for everything wrong with the south Bronx.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
The "ghetto" mentality thrives in Mott Haven, a Haven for social problems. The problem is, lots of poor people, little else. Many are stuck in the traditional cycle of poverty, incarseration, teen pregnancy, dropping out. Crap schools, crap amenities, crap housing, dirty subway stations. Potential though, but not encouraging what they should. Instead of trying to attract young professionals and students with subway access and mixed zoning like parts of Harlem, they build cheap family oriented multiunit homes and apartments for those only one notch above poverty. So little will change, many units are also being dedicated go those under the poverty line. There needs to be more income mixture.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
Bad news. I haven't stepped foot in the Mott in some time. I was planning to do so soon just to photograph the area (as it is one of my hobbies), likely a bad idea after all eh ?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
To me Mott Haven is the worst neighborhood in NYC. I think it's one of the worst places in the country. It is the genesis of the south Bronx, and nowadays it stands for everything wrong with the south Bronx.
I was about to disagree with you and say that it is on par with Brownsville and then I saw that Brownsville has a population a little over 100,000 and has 26 murders on the year in comparison with Mott Haven who with these two murders has 20 on the year with a population less than half that of Brownsville... that in itself is insane...

One thing though, there both approximately one square mile so alot of crime is happening in a relatively small area either way but the numbers in Mott Haven far outweigh those of Brownsville considering the population... Right now if the rate continues Mott haven will be looking at a rate close to 50 per 100,000... Those are numbers we haven't seen for a long time...

Interestingly, reading wikipedia would have you convinced that the neighborhood is improving tremendously with the added diversity of high income earning whites moving in as well as low-income blacks being displaced... (there words not mine)... Goes to show you how well you can trust the accuracy of that cite... I'm assuming the level of gentrification is about the same as Ocean Hill in Brownsville (close to non-existant)... though wikipedia would tell you otherwise...

Ocean Hill, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

take a look at present day for a good laugh... "trendy stores have popped up"... you gotta love the hipsters that have taken over wikipedia... Btw, good luck trying to remove that information for factual information... they have that cite on lockdown... I've tried numerous times to change it back to the way it originally was but they continue changing it back...

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
I'm on 143rd and 3rd ave - know the area for over 30 years.

In the past 5 days 3 teenagers have been shot within a ~2 block radius. Just moments ago, I heard more gunshots. It feels like spring time with the amount of sirens heard weekly.

At least two made it to the paper this week:

Teen found dead, shot in the head in the Bronx | 7online.com

One teen murdered, another wounded in the Bronx | 7online.com

spot-crime.com has gave up reporting the area...it was never accurate anyway. Bronx, NY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Bronx - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Amazing how many shootings go unnoticed/unreported.
Thats nothing new my dude. That intersection has been a hotspot for crime in the past twenty years from what I remember. Gun wielding trigger happy blacks that live in the pjs dominate that area. I have walked through that intersection many times during all times of day and night however I have a body type of a cop so no one messes with me. On college avenue there used to be a nypd look out tower im not sure if its still there. Another hotspot is 137 street between brook and cypress avenue, for more than half the year nypd esu truck was stationed outside millbrook pjs due to the highlevel of shootings and other crime in that area. Willis between 141 and 144 is a major trouble spot and also on willis brtween 137 and 138 is also a major trouble spot especially with the 24 hour yemini deli called charlie which was once and irish deli 30 years ago then a rican deli a decade ago. That deli brings all sorts of trouble. Now all 24 hour delis in the area lock the entrance and conduct business trough a bullet proof side window. What I found disturbing in the area most black homicides are aided with a gun while hispanic homocides are knife based assualts.

Moty haven had been a troubled area for years from irish to the growing dominican and mexican populace, and not even the rc church cant save the souls of the area but still rob the people and send the money to the popes lap. I know one black lady who wants to send her son down south to live because her son is going to get killed or end up in jail for life like his father. Does mott haven need gentrificstion to be honest I dont know, but gentrification might save the area, also to escape poverty many ricans in the area move upstate or to pa and florida while the blacks move out of the pjs and head back down south. mott haven also has alot of history that has had a major impact on this country.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-01-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 PM

341 posts, read 902,607 times
This really isn't a surprise to me.

It is what it is.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Last year mott haven had 14 murders but this year mott haven has 20 in the next 30 days it might just hit 24 murders nearly double from last year, especially since the holidays are in full swing and no one has money and probably will rob an underpaid and over worked mexican for all hes got.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I was about to disagree with you and say that it is on par with Brownsville and then I saw that Brownsville has a population a little over 100,000 and has 26 murders on the year in comparison with Mott Haven who with these two murders has 20 on the year with a population less than half that of Brownsville... that in itself is insane...
Why can't we at least stick to FACTS when discussing neighborhood stats ?
I'm not here to argue that there isn't a murder problem in Mott Haven or that it's a great neighborhood but you distorting things by throwing out erroneous information.

Brownsville is Brooklyn CD 16, 73rd precinct:
Brooklyn Community Board 16: About Us
"According to the 2010 census, Ocean Hill-Brownsville is home to 90,235 people..."
2011 murder total is 25: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs073pct.pdf
Doesn't this translate to a murder rate of almost 28 per 100,000 ?

Mott Haven is Bronx CD 1 , 40th precinct:
THE BRONX MALL Community Life - Community Board 1
It has a population of 82,000
It has had 18 murders this year: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs040pct.pdf
Doesn't this translate to a murder rate of 21 per 100,00 ?

So,I have 3 questions:
1)How is a population of 82,000 "less than 1/2" of 90,000?
2)How is Mott Haven's murder rate worse than Brownsville's when it has had 18 murders with a population opf 82,000 vs. 25 murders with a population of 92,000 for Brownville ?
3) With less than 1 month left in the year ,how is Mott Haven's murder rate going to anywhere near 50 per 100,000 ?Wouldn't there have to be at least as many murders in the next 3 weeks as there have been in the last 11 months ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-02-2011 at 05:51 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 AM

28 posts, read 43,011 times
Guys why do you not complain, make a stand against lawless thugs, does your city not do any thing to deter this. We have it in Liverpool but that is down to letting every man and his dog in the country, were full of every nation, and our own can't find jobs ok some don’t want them lol. We should bring back national service to both countries make the low life work for a living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City