Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
Real talk , nobody wants to loses anything cuz economy, and I know that the rich since they earn it, and to give it away might be frustrated. Let's put aside the rich ask the GOVERMENT where the hell is the money?? If USA makes it, do they need to be held accountable ? Unless they sending piles of money to other country. Behind our backs .this can't be true.!!have you notice, they are. It making no more dollars bills with new designs ?? Or check you're 20 dollar bill and see what year has. There more things behind all of this GOVERMENT going on. Hum!!
Money is wasted by the government in many ways. The government often overpays for services to contractors because of shady connections. Some guy voted in to a city counsel might try to persuade others to give certain municipally funded projects to friends/family/campaign contributors instead of a qualified company or person. Japan had/has a huge problem with this that lead to massive cost overruns for infrastructure projects, (there's more to that story too).

Sometimes the government sees their tax base as an endless source of money that will never run out, and they don't care if they overpay for something even if it's something small and seemingly trivial. My Father-in-law loves to watch O'Rielly and eagerly told me the tale of the $16 muffin- I'm not shocked that it happened.

A lot of government officials are voted in thanks in larger part to the financial support of special interest groups- banks, unions, political groups, certain industry lobbyists and large companies; "hey senator so-and-so, we will contribute $x if when you are elected you pass legislation that benefits us. We will also pull whatever strings we can to help you get to the top, but once you're in you need to pay us back- you owe us favors".

When NYC was trying to make ends meet and the press was reporting how Bloomberg was trying to figure out if we'd be able to pay our police and fire departments, I remember seeing a commercial to "raise awareness" of bicycle riders so that drivers would be more mindful of them on the road. This commercial was very dramatic, well filmed and obviously cost money to produce and at the end it had a "A message from the NY dept of..." While I don't remember which department made the commerical, I do recall asking myself "If we can't afford to pay our police officers, how is it that the city can afford to make stupid commerical to "raise awareness" of a non-critical issue of bike rider accidents?!?!?!?!" .. The answer is that a person(s) in the government owed someone a favor, and precious city money was delivered for a non-essential project to appease someone who helped a politician along the way to return the favor.

Then there's the issue of social welfare programs. While they are well intentioned, they are often too expensive to sustain but no one wants to be the bad guy and make cuts. I suspect that there is another side to this (just my opinion), he/she who promises the most freebies gets the most votes as people tend to follow the path of least resistance (in general). Those who collect the most freebies will not shoot themselves in the foot by voting out a politician who has made the said freebies available to them, even if they can't stand the politician otherwise. So I do think that to a certain degree these freebies are offered with the ulterior motive to enslave people when it comes to voting. Politicians don't care if they bring their state or country to financial ruin, they just care about holding on to their position of power.

There are lots of other ways the govt pisses money away, but these are just a few examples of how non-essential spending can get out of control.

This happens on both sides of the political spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,372 times
If the American dollar bills lost their value today. What would think will happend? If the United States ends up like Irak , what will hapend .? The biggest issues is that we are having is us the goverment wants to extend territories around the world . The colonization is over, is the fact they want to be on top of everthing. The way I see we need to start educating base on what it could be on the next few years, pretty much civil war, hunger, violence, and all type of surviving things to live. I'm not a fanatic , protester or religious even politician. But no one is going to be on the same page.sad but true.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
"The way I see we need to start educating"

Sure do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City