Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 27,724 times

Advertisements

Bluedog, I have not had a chance to do a general search on the forum with HarlemNewbie's name, but I did read the thread you posted. I knew from the start I could count on you for some good and helpful information. Thanks again.

Febtober (like that alias), [SIZE=3]Well, if that’s the worst "crime" I’ll have to deal with, I’d certainly rather not, but I could handle it and count myself blessed. To find a true 1bedroom in an elevator building for under $1200 is a rare jewel [SIZE=3][/SIZE]indeed; good for you! The close proximity to the #1 is one of the more appealing aspects of the area. Know doubt Columbia’s expansion is a contravercial subject, and honestly, I can sympethise with both sides of the argument, but I can’t help but think that a boost for the neighborhood is a boost for me if I’m living in it. Of course, that’s assuming I will not be priced out.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Nykiddo, that’s kind of the way I was thinking, too, but I thought it speculatively, and you say it with such insight and authority! If I moved there, I would quite be at the location, but I guess whatever happens to the neighborhood would likely affect me to some degree or another. I also agree that, no matter how positive the end result, the process will probably cause things to get worse before they get better. One would really have to be convinced of the end result and be willing to endure the ride with the confidence that it will be worth it. There will be the noise and inconveniences of construction sites (which always last longer than anyone expected), an increase of dust and dirt in the environment and inevitably in the homes, the instability of the neighborhood while it transitions from what it is to what it will be, and I suppose, all kinds of other things, as well. One must think of the already-mentioned rats. Just imagine how many must be living in all those warehouse and factory buildings! The ones that aren’t killed will be displaced, and they, too, will be looking for new homes.

Thank you to all that responded. Thank you also for not being discouraged by my comment about trolls, fearmongers, and prejudiced snobs. From what I have read, I knew most of the participants in this forum were none of these, but there are a few. For all who do not fit in any of those categories, you know who you are, and so, my comment was not directed at you. I Haven’t got an apartment yet, and not quite sure if I will at this point, but I appreciate your answers just the same. Thanks again!
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrophy View Post
Ah ha! That's a blind person's secret!--but I'll tell. The computer has a type of software program downloaded on it called a screenreader or screen access program. It runs simultaneously yet invisibly with all other applications, and you use keyboard strokes to command it to read whatever portion of the screen you want with synthetic speech output.

Didn't I say good-night?
That's pretty awesome.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I don't know the specifics of the area but I DO INTIMATELY know what it is like living in a long term construction zone. Spending time at home listening to pile drivers that start at 7 AM and go on all day for months at a time is HORRIBLE. Then you get a few months of peace, but DIRTY peace while concrete is poured from truck after noisy truck.
And then the building is done and beautiful, and in come the cranes and pile drivers to start the process anew.

And then when they are ALL finished after 10 or 20 years, up go your rents because you are now living in a LUXURY complex.

New construction is nice AFTER it's built, not during.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Columbia University is going to raze all industrial/commercial structures west of Broadway between W 125th and W 133rd for a satellite campus. The few tenements in that area will be preserved, likely gut renovation finally turned to dorms. If you are just outside that zone it will be great after all is done. If not you will be relocated. I hope we are talking a north corner of W 133rd. Quality of life isn't the greatest in that area now, nor will it be during construction; but it will be great when all is said and done.
Agree. The quality of life there is in fact abysmal, currently. But I think this will change tremendously in the years to come.

The real estate types love to sell the area using Fairway, and the few restaurants that are just west of Broadway. I can tell you that the restaurants are terrible, and to get to Fairway, you must move through all kinds of projects and truly awful blocks. The schools are also terrible, and when school lets out, mayhem ensues. On most of the streets there is a large amount of social service housing, some of the worst I have ever seen.

The is an enormous rat population in part because the residents simply will not stop littering, dumping their garbage right where they stand. This was made worse by the excavations of the construction.

But again, I think this will change tremendously. If nothing else, there has been a huge amount of investment in the new campus.

In addition, is the place located at 3333 Broadway ? Hope not. There is another thread about that troubled complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: