Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times

Advertisements

Lots of posters here hurl the word "yuppie" around in a perjorative way. How do you define a yuppie? Are they all scum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Young Urban Professional

Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Nah, all yuppies aren't that bad. To me a yuppie (short for "Young Urban Professional") Is someone who is well, young (around 22-35) who makes around 70,000-100+K a year, lives in a hipster type of nabe ( manly in the city) and into the arts and the such. Usually single, into the city's nightlife, no kids, have a well paying job (usually in the financial sector) is a grad of a major university (NYU, Columbia, or any big time school), also can be seen a "preppy" but that isn't all ways the case.

Most people hate yuppies because some feel that they are driving the middle class out of NYC. Such as moving into nabes that arecheep (for NYC standards) and jacking up the price of living. Also, some people just hate the fact that a lot of yuppies are really just the suburban kids who move to the city and don't know anything about New York. IE, their parents fled to LI or Jersey, and now their kids are flooding back to the Boroughs.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Nah, all yuppies aren't that bad. To me a yuppie (short for "Young Urban Professional") Is someone who is well, young (around 22-35) who makes around 70,000-100+K a year, lives in a hipster type of nabe ( manly in the city) and into the arts and the such. Usually single, into the city's nightlife, no kids, have a well paying job (usually in the financial sector) is a grad of a major university (NYU, Columbia, or any big time school), also can be seen a "preppy" but that isn't all ways the case.

Most people hate yuppies because some feel that they are driving the middle class out of NYC. Such as moving into nabes that arecheep (for NYC standards) and jacking up the price of living. Also, some people just hate the fact that a lot of yuppies are really just the suburban kids who move to the city and don't know anything about New York. IE, their parents fled to LI or Jersey, and now their kids are flooding back to the Boroughs.
People need to realize that it is NOT yuppies fault. If some people here learned from their economics, they will realize that gentrification is a classic case of supply and demand!

The yuppies are not the problem. It's the market that reacts to them!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Yes, but I've noticed a lot of people seem to just hurl the word around, referring to posters on the boards who don't see the city (esp. the Bronx) as an uninhabitable sh&thole--even if these "yuppies" are from NYC and are not rich or suburban.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 AM

^^^ I guess it has to do with the fact that many yuppies are now taking a chance at living in nabes in which people brush them off. Look at Harlem. Many people would aviod living in Harlem, but not the yuppies. Some would take the risk of being mugged at the cost of living in some Brownstone. The same thing with the South Bronx (some call it So Bro). Or LIC, LES, or Williamsburgh.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
So people who have good jobs and move to freely available apartments are doing something wrong? I am not sure I understand.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:17 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Yes there will always be people who need an easy target to blame for problems in their lives or their communities. Yuppies enter communities with money, education, civility, and self-respect, and many "locals" in these communities see this as some sort of personal attack on themselves, their families, and their "way of life." NYC, and its neighborhoods, have always been about change, changing demographics, changing family structures, and ever changing residents. Anyone, or any policies, that choose to restrict that ebb and flow of change are those that promote segregation, obstruct progress, and ultimately ghettofication (as has been proven in blighted communities.)

Some facts that we as human beings, and residents of this city often forget:

1-We do not have a right to live where we want at the price we set or deem fair. Those things are, and should be, set by supply and demand. I do not live in a $2,500 a month apt in Chelsea because I cannot afford to. I do not expect anyone to subsidize my desire to live in Chelsea, nor do I expect the city to subsidize my rent to live there. As a result I live in Mott Haven, somewhere that I can afford...a novel idea!

2-Just because a neighborhood "becomes" black, white, or Asian, does not make it the end of history. For example, the whole concept of "keep Harlem black" is foolish to say the least, as Harlem has only been black for less than 100 years. Before that, Harlem, and just about every other neighborhood, was white and had a great history long before blacks entered the area. So in theory, those saying "Let's make Harlem white again" would be more justified, but no less foolish, and quickly branded as racist.

3-Yuppies, rednecks, poor immigrants, the wealthy elite, corn-fed Nebraskans, people of color, weirdos, artists, deviants, and the working class are all part of what makes the city great, and not so great. Selecting one to blame for your problems, or the problems of your community, is pointless, as there is always another group that will blame you for their misery, misfortune, annoyances, or inconveniences.

Living in this city means living with inevitable change, and new residents. Today it is the yuppies moving in and blamed for all that is wrong with the city. Tomorrow the yuppies may be displaced to make room for a wave of 100,000 Costa Ricans, and many will yearn for the good 'ol days of the yuppies. That cycle is NYC.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 AM

You're right. That is life in this city. Bay Ridge is a perfect example. It was and still is a strong Italian nabe. Now there are a lot of Arabs moving in some parts and you hear people call it "Beirut". People just don't like change. NYC is a city of mostly ethnic and economic nabes. When someone who is an "outsider" moves in, the historical population either protest or usually move out.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
how is it possible that someone starting out after college is making 70K? I start out at 45k in the city and everyone tells me that's more than what most start out with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City