Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:42 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times

Advertisements

As the title say has any one from the city been to the Poconos mountains areas from the city and been to one of the resorts there for a short vaction to ski and do other winter time things

Where did you stay and how was the drive from the city or can you take the train out to the area and take a cab or rent a car once you are in the area .

Any indeas for a jan time frame for a week long stray there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I've been to the Poconos frequently but only when I lived in the Lehigh Valley (of Pennsylvania.) I never stayed overnight.
The sking is easy, bunny trail stuff becasue the mountains are not high.
For better skiing weekend try Vermont.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:55 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
my two favorites are skytop and woodloch . both are just beautiful.

we have a home in the area and go to skytop ofton to photograph the grounds.

cabs and public transportation are almost non existant in the area.

Poconos Family Resorts | All-Inclusive Family Vacations in the Poconos Mountains - Woodloch Pines

Poconos Mountain Resorts | Skytop Lodge | Skytop, Pennsylvania

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-09-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
First of all there is NO Train you can take. There are buses from the Port Authority.
Driving from the City is approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on traffic.
I love the Poconos.
Poconos Official Website - Resorts, Restaurants, Golf, Skiing, Maps - Vacation & Visitors Information from the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau

http://visitpoconos.org/

Old 12-09-2011, 01:55 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
I go snowboarding in Shawnee frequently and been there during the summer too for some kayaking. It's pretty fun but the mountains are not that high. It's about a 2 hour drive from Manhattan. A week long stay may be pretty expensive for that time of the year. Peak season for the ski and snowboarders. So book now if you want to save money!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
There WILL be a train line to the Poconos...I believe it's planned for the 2020's. But meanwhile, it's an easy drive--straight out Route 80, about 2 hours, maybe less depending upon how far in you go.

As far as your question about people from the city having been out to the Poconos...over the past two decades, the city has MOVED to the Poconos. There has been a huge migration of people from the ghettos up there due to the cheaper housing availability. There is now even a Monroe County Gang Task Force. The long-time residents are not happy, as you might imagine. My sister has lived there for years, and my niece, now 33, started carrying a knife for protection during high school. My sister sent her to Jersey to live with my mom because of this.

You should be fine in the resort areas, though.

Gangster contagion spreads in Poconos | PoconoRecord.com

Old 12-10-2011, 03:31 AM

that statement above can very mis-leading. its like kings point ,the hamptons and roosevelt are all long island.

there are many areas that make up the poconos. monroe county down by route 80 is like a cesspool in many places.

pike and wayne county which is where we are and off route 84 is simply beautiful with none of the issues monroe county has.

all those ads in the newspapers years ago "why rent when you can own" brought inner city drugs, gangs and trash into the stroudsburg areas. the gated communities provided protection from police for this scum.

we are exactley 2 hours from bayside queens.

but like i said get away from that area and the poconos are just beautiful and as safe as can be.. our only danger is bears or over eating at any of the fine restaurants in our area.

we are at the house now in the poconos , got up last night.and headed into hawley this weekend to one of the best steak houses around . about half the price of mortons.. there is a fair amount of snow is on our deck too, it looks so pretty.

http://www.thefallsportinnandrestaurant.com/dining/

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-10-2011 at 05:00 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
There WILL be a train line to the Poconos...I believe it's planned for the 2020's.

I have read in a couple sources that the claim of a train connecting the Poconos with NYC was nothing more than a scam promulgated by real estate developers to convince New Yorkers that buying in and commuting daily to Manhattan was something more than the dumbbest idea ever dreamed up.
People fell for it, bought in, realized it was an impossible commute but cannot get out because their mortgages are so far underwater. Some are suing for fraud.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 AM

monroe real estate taxes are rediculious. our real estate and school taxes are 2800 a year and if you google it lake wallenpaupack school district is one of the top in the area and perhaps the state.

monroe county can be 6-9k a year because of all the hospitals and schools . many folks work in new jersey and new york stiffing pa on the taxes too.

we have very few in our area that commute to nyc every day,its just to far and not practical.
marilyn and i were going to shoot a photo tour in stoudsburg. we got there and quickly changed our minds for fear of getting robbed.

to tell you the truth we are more comfortable photographing harlem which we will do christmas week.

but dont let monroe county be the spokesman for the poconos. its just magnificant once you head north.

lake wallenpaupack has the best schools because its the largest boating community in the poconos .

with 52 miles of shoreline its the mecca for water sports.
its alot of part timers . we pay lots school taxes but many of us have no kids in the schools since many of us live elsewhere.
its been said that wallenpaupack high school has better equipment than most universities .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-10-2011 at 07:36 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that statement above can very mis-leading. its like kings point ,the hamptons and roosevelt are all long island.

there are many areas that make up the poconos. monroe county down by route 80 is like a cesspool in many places.

pike and wayne county which is where we are and off route 84 is simply beautiful with none of the issues monroe county has.

all those ads in the newspapers years ago "why rent when you can own" brought inner city drugs, gangs and trash into the stroudsburg areas. the gated communities provided protection from police for this scum.

we are exactley 2 hours from bayside queens.

but like i said get away from that area and the poconos are just beautiful and as safe as can be.. our only danger is bears or over eating at any of the fine restaurants in our area.

we are at the house now in the poconos , got up last night.and headed into hawley this weekend to one of the best steak houses around . about half the price of mortons.. there is a fair amount of snow is on our deck too, it looks so pretty.

The Falls Port Inn and Restaurant
This is true. I am mostly familiar with Monroe County, but the Poconos area does extend beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City