Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitaintbroken View Post
It's nearly a year later, but I feel compelled to reply to this post, especially in these post Hurricane Sandy days when so many people are forced to take new routes including the East River Ferry. What common sense would dictate is for there to be no need to get a receipt - what bus drivers and the machines incorrectly call a "ticket" - when you have purchased an unlimited card, with fares increasing more and more frequently, that has always served as a transfer (and proof of purchase) in the past, no extra step needed. What would make sense and what silly people probably think is actually the case would be for these machines to be a way of purchasing a metrocard right there at the bus stop. There is a concept. The SBS "ticket" requirement is counterintuitive and just another way for the city/state to make money off of a broken system. The MTA working on a pseudo honor system is what is "really that difficult" to understand.
THANK YOU!! In San Francisco, the Metro (Muni) card is plastic. Each BUS has an electronic reader at the front of the bus. People know to have their cards out and they simply touch them to the reader, it beeps, they go. Quick. It blew my mind that in supposedly transit-advanced NYC, the monthly metro card is paper. And you have to walk up to what has to be an expensive machine each and every ride and print out more paper that you have to hold onto for the entire ride (which is annoying). I rode the M34/A every day for a month in NYC. Not a fan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 12:28 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
THANK YOU!! In San Francisco, the Metro (Muni) card is plastic. Each BUS has an electronic reader at the front of the bus. People know to have their cards out and they simply touch them to the reader, it beeps, they go. Quick. It blew my mind that in supposedly transit-advanced NYC, the monthly metro card is paper. And you have to walk up to what has to be an expensive machine each and every ride and print out more paper that you have to hold onto for the entire ride (which is annoying). I rode the M34/A every day for a month in NYC. Not a fan...
Boston , Seattle , Toronto , DC , and LA have Smart cards like SF , along with Jersey City (PATH) & South Jersey (PATCO) , NJT is working on a system , along with Philly , Connecticut , Maryland should be up by 2017. NYC is still fighting over it and the current system doesn't really work..

Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM

255 posts, read 475,797 times
I just can't wait to see peoples actions when it arrives on the B44. The Bx41, I doubt people will do such a thing since undoubtedly, they've had time to get used to the Bx12.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
The MTA will soon take a great leap forward...they are introducing a system whereby customers buy brass, coinlike objects that they will will call TOKENS.
Each of these brass objects will entitle customers to a ride on a subway or bus.
They will cost $10 each...but a bulk discount rate of $9.99 each will apply if you buy a roll of 100 tokens.

(Additional State and City taxes will be charged on the purchase.)

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM

255 posts, read 475,797 times
Sarcasm?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Funny thread, I LOL'ed at a lot of the complaints - but there's some good suggestions on how to improve it too. A valid Unlimited Ride MC should absolutely be good enough proof of purchase.

I use the M15 SBS between Midtown and the Lower East Side all the time and I think it's an improvement over the local buses. Traffic makes it somewhat irrelevant at rush hour, but at all other times it's much faster - at least for that stretch. That's the only one I've ever taken. I'm all for people getting ridiculously expensive tickets if they don't have a receipt too... it's like a karmic tax on stupidity. I understand being confused the very first time you encounter the machines, but if you can't grasp/remember the concept subsequently, please see a doctor.

On the other hand, if you just HAVE to rebel against this tyrannical and poorly implemented system, what's to stop you from running away when the MTA inspectors ask you to produce a receipt? In this way, you are sticking it to the man and riding for free, and not holding up everyone's commute while they pull you out and write a ticket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City