Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 AM

110 posts, read 355,798 times

Advertisements

jojoC00, frolicking in US is no longer what it used to be and as exhibited by the frenzied posts, highly unrecommended. i have witnessed the exploitation and destruction of countless naive dreamers by packs of hungry wolves.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Everyone else who comes on this forum stating that they want to move to NYC is told right off the bat that without a job and a six figure salary they'll never make it.
What kind of lives could 3 unemployed, uneducated girls expect to have in NYC....not to mention that they'd be here illegally?

They don't have jobs lined up.
They don't have college degrees.
They're coming here illegally.
Doesn't sound like they have any money saved.

If they were your daughters would you advise them to go ahead with it?
Absolutely not!!
Please do not come here if you are not legal!!

What perplexes me is supposedly Ireland is in an economic boom right now..so why emigrate??

Old 08-30-2007, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,768 times
Thank you all so much for the info..looks likes its goin 2 be woodlawn!! goin 2 check out that website for the irish center later,need to get our act in gear arriving in less than a month. cant wait but need to find apt and jobs pretty quick! (got your email mead and will be contact shortly)

Old 08-30-2007, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 14,768 times
plus i would also like 2 say to anyone who thinks were mad as were not legal or dont have college degrees!!! so what we are young free and single!! if we dont like it we'll come home it's not the end of the world!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM

110 posts, read 355,798 times
sad, people just dont listen these days...no wonder its all over the news

Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 PM

43 posts, read 88,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoC00 View Post
plus i would also like 2 say to anyone who thinks were mad as were not legal or dont have college degrees!!! so what we are young free and single!! if we dont like it we'll come home it's not the end of the world!!!!!!!!

Great attitude! Ain't it great to be young again? (The "Ain't" is just slang...not correct or very good grammar on my part)

I haven't been through customs coming from Europe, but coming thru from being in the Carribean, the customs/passport official always ask, what's your business, and how long do you plan to stay....I'd hate for you to be turned around and sent right back to Ireland (altho, I'd love to go in your place! ) Coming and going thru airports is really messy now days!

Good luck to you!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
Honestly half you guys on here are just a bunch of haters. What did the Irish ever do to you? Irish-Americans have done nothing but good for this country. We've given you such things as JFK, RFK, binge drinking, and St. Patrick's day parades. C'mon people, lighten up. ;-)

If anyone on here seriously thinks any of these ladies are going to have any problems in regards to customs/immigration they're seriously nuts. INS doesn't care about the Irish. We have 10-20 miillion illegal immigrants in this country, most of them are Mexicans and as a result the spotlight is really on them at the moment, as it should be.

Have any of you been to California lately? All those Mexicans are running around not speaking English, joining gangs, and getting on welfare. In contrast the Irish who come over already speak English, are more familiar with our culture than random 3rd world immigrants, are hard working, don't mooch off the welfare-teet, and usually settle down and have normal middle class families here. If anything this country needs more immigrants like the Irish, until then we'll just have to settle for the real deal; Irish immigrants.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 AM

479 posts, read 879,301 times
Mead..I get what you're saying, I don't think anyone here hates the Irish (at least I don't) I agree with you also that other races and ethnicities walk right in the country or overstay. They are probably lovely gals but if they wanted to explore the idea of living in NYC shouldn't they do it the legal way? As much as you try to sugarcoat the justification they will be felons after that visa expires.What about all of the others who waiting in line? Should the millions wanting to come to the US just say the hell with it and get temp.visa with intentions of overstaying?

Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 AM

203 posts, read 852,676 times
Yes...it's really an insult to all the people who take the time and effort to come here legally.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
Mead..I get what you're saying, I don't think anyone here hates the Irish (at least I don't) I agree with you also that other races and ethnicities walk right in the country or overstay. They are probably lovely gals but if they wanted to explore the idea of living in NYC shouldn't they do it the legal way? As much as you try to sugarcoat the justification they will be felons after that visa expires.What about all of the others who waiting in line? Should the millions wanting to come to the US just say the hell with it and get temp.visa with intentions of overstaying?

Great Post!!! And I'm sure there are many Irish waiting to come here LEGALLY
iLLEGAL IS illegal You can't say it's ok for a select few...

And other posters please don't mislead these girls into thinking living & working in NYC is going to be a cakewalk..

Not being legal they are going to have to most likely work in service...bartender, waitress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City