Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,493 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planing on getting a house in the Bronx. This house is fully renovated and before we sign anything should we hire a home inspector or engineer to see the property? The owner told us that they had an city inspection done a few weeks ago and pass with no violation.

Should I hire an engineer or a home inspector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,213 times
Absolutely - without a shadow of a doubt. I wouldn't buy a house built in the 90's without a thorough inspection - never mind a place that could have structural issues, insulation problems, wiring problems, past fires that could have had an impact on the roof beams, substandard plumbing, etc. Spend the money now to be sure of what you're getting into. If issues ARE discovered, you can choose to walk OR work with the seller on a lower price. And do your research on the home inspector you bring in. Treat the choosing of the inspector in the same manner you would research various surgeons who were going to operate on you. Make sure they're licensed and you check them out with the BBB. Best of luck to you and your wife. I hope it all goes smoothly for the two of you.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
It is always good practice to have your own home inspection when purchasing a property. You should meet with the inspector at the property, as well as your agent, and the owner may be present, but should not interfere with the inspector. This report is for your benefit, and will let you know if the renovations are to code, and whether or not the fixtures and appliances are in good operating condition at the time of inspection.

All of this information can be used to decide whether or not you wish to continue with a purchase, and/or to negotiate the final price of the house. I would not advise proceeding without your own home inspection, as the cost is minimal when compared with potential outlays for undisclosed/unknown issues that manifest once the house is your own. It can be very difficult to prove undisclosed issues, unless they are patently obvious to anyone who walks into the home, so lawsuits against sellers/agents are expensive, time consuming, and may not result in sufficient recovery after legal expenses to make the necessary remedy(ies) to the property.

A qualified home inspector can identify any problems, and if you have any identified structural issues, you can then hire an engineer to determine the scope of any identified issues, and cost to remedy. And, if there are inspection issues that do not require the use of an engineer, you have a negotiating point for a seller concession or allowance to fix the problem. You can write an offer on the house that is contingent on the results of your own independent home inspector's report, which is generally a standard addition to a contract, and would only be an issue in a red-hot seller's market when houses sell in a matter of hours, i.e., not the current market conditions.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupdy View Post
My wife and I are planing on getting a house in the Bronx. This house is fully renovated and before we sign anything should we hire a home inspector or engineer to see the property? The owner told us that they had an city inspection done a few weeks ago and pass with no violation.

Should I hire an engineer or a home inspector?
I'd get an engineer. They're much better about finding problems an inspector may miss, and they're more versed in local building code.

Other then that, what everyone else has said is right on: never take the owners word for it. Get your own engineer to inspect. City inspections don't cover everything.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM

518 posts, read 1,579,477 times
GET ONE!! The city inspector literally just looks around for any visible damage. A coat of paint, a drop ceiling can cover a multitude of sins. We didnt get one, and now have found 4 dead electrical outlets, and a few other surprises. Its worth it!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
Yes, yes, double yes, triple yes. Get a good one.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Not to beat a dead horse but GET AN INSPECTOR.
What the City is looking for and what YOU, as a homeonwer should be looking for are two VERY different set of criteria.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I'd get an engineer. They're much better about finding problems an inspector may miss, and they're more versed in local building code.

Other then that, what everyone else has said is right on: never take the owners word for it. Get your own engineer to inspect. City inspections don't cover everything.
I second this. Get a structural engineer. They will be able to pinpoint any issue with the foundation, joists, beams, lintels, etc.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: