Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
If NYC had a complete bike infrastructure, would you bike?

What I mean is:

•Protected bike lines along selected major thoroughfares (Up/down/crosstown routes), these would be the primary "bike highways".
•Unprotected bike lanes or shared-street markers along smaller side streets (Not every street).
•Adequate bike parking, frequently located.
•City wide bike share.
•Complete bike greenways lining the perimeters of the boroughs and other special routes.
•Direct routes to areas of interest.
•Bike/pedestrian bridges from Red Hook=Lower Manhattan, Williamsburg=LES, Greenpoint=Alphabet City, Long Island City=Midtown, Astoria=UES, All Bronx=Manhattan crossings, Hoboken=West Side.
•Includes bike signal system integrated into existing network.
•Better enforcement vs lane blockers, aggressive drivers.

?
Could these bike lanes be used by Segways and other low powered scooters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM

279 posts, read 853,956 times
its a 15mile trip from my home to my job each way. About 30 miles roundtrip. It currently takes me about 45min using public transportation. If i bike, it may be take 2 or 3 times longer

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Could these bike lanes be used by Segways and other low powered scooters?
I don't know the cruising speed of a Segway but yes if it can keep up with the average bike speed (10-15mph?). Scooters like a Vespa? No, better for the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
its a 15mile trip from my home to my job each way. About 30 miles roundtrip. It currently takes me about 45min using public transportation. If i bike, it may be take 2 or 3 times longer
Where do you live? Work? Bike commuting may just be too far for you? In your case you would still benefit from a reduction in mass transit users and car traffic.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM

279 posts, read 853,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Where do you live? Work? Bike commuting may just be too far for you? In your case you would still benefit from a reduction in mass transit users and car traffic.
ridgewood, queens to lower manhtattan (wall st area)

Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
ridgewood, queens to lower manhtattan (wall st area)
Ridgewood to Lower Manhattan would benefit from a bike/pedestrian crossing at Long Island City or Williamsburg, south along the East River Greenway in Manhattan to your destination. Not sure how long that potential ride would be, under an hour? Right now you have the Williamsburg bridge.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
In other words azspeedbullet, you'd better start biking to work or you're a bad American.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
In other words azspeedbullet, you'd better start biking to work or you're a bad American.
Hardly, an urban city should have available all forms of transportation. A strong biking system in the city would allow for azspeedbullet to have less people on the trains, and have lighter traffic to deal with in the car. Nothing in his life has to change for NYC to have a better bike infrastructure.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM

The small percentage of people who do and/or will bike to work in the future will hardly make a dent in any of that. No matter how much you hold their little hands. Most people don't like being drenched in sweat when they get to work. And it's too goddam cold in the winter.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The small percentage of people who do and/or will bike to work in the future will hardly make a dent in any of that. No matter how much you hold their little hands. Most people don't like being drenched in sweat when they get to work. And it's too goddam cold in the winter.
So then what are you worried about, the amount of money that it would cost to build a great bike infrastructure wouldn't even make a dent in the transportation costs of the city. Sounds like it wouldn't have any effect on your life, therefore there is nothing for you to be worried about, unless of course you are strangely anti-bike yet live in an urban city...

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So then what are you worried about, the amount of money that it would cost to build a great bike infrastructure wouldn't even make a dent in the transportation costs of the city. Sounds like it wouldn't have any effect on your life, therefore there is nothing for you to be worried about, unless of course you are strangely anti-bike yet live in an urban city...
I've gone over this with you specifically in other bike threads already. I'm not "worried" about anything necessarily. I do think it does nothing but create a hassle for businesses when their unloading zones are done away with for protected lanes that some people use. And more importantly, they legitimately put a strain on emergency vehicles trying to make good time in getting to a call. You know, to potentially save someone's life. Many times every second counts in situations.

And once again, I'm not anti-bike. I own a cannondale caad9-5. I ride often and I love it. I ride to work at times as well. I've been riding since I was a kid and I always will be. I just don't need the city holding my hand because I'm special. Thanks for playing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City