Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

I live on the UES and I cannot count on a 30 minute commute even to Lincoln Center or the Theater District given the vagaries of missed trains and buses.
That 30 minute commute is quite a restiction that almost NOBODY enjoys.

If you are working in the Financial District (it sounds liike ONE of you are) you cannot do much better than NEWPORT (Jersey City.) I have a friend in a terrific 3 bedroom, 2 Bath, 1200 square foot apartment with huge walk in closets (as big as second bedrooms in Manhattan) for $3000. All it lacks is a decent view. The area is absolutely beautiful and completely safe at any hour and the shopping, even without a car, is unbeatable.
You will get your short commute.

Just go to the Sales Office on site and see what they offer. It the first NJ stop on the Journal Square PATH train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Riverdale would offer a Midtown commute of under 30 minutes (not counting getting from home to station and from GCT to office), but Lower Manhattan is going to be a longer trip in rush hour, either by the BxM18 express bus or the MNRR to subway. $4500 might find a townhouse with parking, but should also find a 3BR apartment with parking. You may also, rarely, find a single-family home under $5k in Riverdale, with at least one off-street parking space.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiner View Post
Staten Island has an easy commute to Wall St, though it's definitely a little different than the rest of the city.
But the thing is that in order to get a 30 minute commute to Lower Manhattan, you really have to live within say, a mile of the Verrazann-Narrows Bridge. Then, you can get an express bus into Manhattan, but the thing is that you're spending 25-30 minutes on the bus itself. Door-to-door, it's probably around 40-45 minutes.

But at least the express buses are comfortable and quiet, so it's not as bad as spending 30 minutes packed onto a subway car.

In any case, it's definitely within the OP's budget and the commute isn't terrible (I think they extended the HOV lane on the BQE, so it should be a more predictable commute)

Old 12-17-2011, 06:16 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I live on the UES and I cannot count on a 30 minute commute even to Lincoln Center or the Theater District given the vagaries of missed trains and buses.
That 30 minute commute is quite a restiction that almost NOBODY enjoys.

If you are working in the Financial District (it sounds liike ONE of you are) you cannot do much better than NEWPORT (Jersey City.) I have a friend in a terrific 3 bedroom, 2 Bath, 1200 square foot apartment with huge walk in closets (as big as second bedrooms in Manhattan) for $3000. All it lacks is a decent view. The area is absolutely beautiful and completely safe at any hour and the shopping, even without a car, is unbeatable.
You will get your short commute.

Just go to the Sales Office on site and see what they offer. It the first NJ stop on the Journal Square PATH train.
Also look around the Exchange Place PATH stop (not far from Newport). The trip is about 3-1/2 minutes into the WTC PATH. There are a number of residential buildings, more expensive around the waterfront but there are many nice buildings just a few blocks inland, too.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:19 PM

115 posts, read 273,699 times
I agree with Jersey City.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Bayside. Lirr will get you to manhattan in 15 mins.

You can probably get a 3br/2bath for around 2500.

Oh yea, 15 mins Bayside to Penn. As long as you take the battery out of your watch half way through the journey.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Oh yea, 15 mins Bayside to Penn. As long as you take the battery out of your watch half way through the journey.
Ive never had an issue with it O.O

Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM

90 posts, read 286,047 times
Thank you for your replies! I've looked briefly into NJ along the path train and I am not getting bargains from what I see from a few RE companies as long as you are looking close to the train stations. It is slightly cheaper than manhattan, but it looks like we still have to pay around 4500 or 5K for a 3 bed 2 bath place. Maybe I am not looking at right places or perhaps I should get an agent.

Overall, I am also seeing properties with same size/number of baths in the UWS where I heard the schools are better. Of course this is far out in the 90s, but close to the river, which is nice and the commute by subway 1/2 to the FIDI is not too bad, don't know how crowded it gets though.

I am working in FIDI, DH is in lower part of midtown, so commute for him from UWS will be longer, but he has opportunity working from home, so does not need to commute every single day potentially.

My thinking is, if the prices in NJ along the path train are simiar to manhattan and it's all about getting the right agent to get the better price, then perhaps we should stayin Manhattan? At least there are more transportation options including being able to take a cab once in a while for emergencies.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
Thank you for your replies! I've looked briefly into NJ along the path train and I am not getting bargains from what I see from a few RE companies as long as you are looking close to the train stations. It is slightly cheaper than manhattan, but it looks like we still have to pay around 4500 or 5K for a 3 bed 2 bath place. Maybe I am not looking at right places or perhaps I should get an agent.
A quick check of Home - Newport - Apartment rentals finds a 3BR/2BA for $3875.

You probably need to consider the tax advantages of NJ too (that is, no city income tax)

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,229 times
This exists in Harlem. Move into one of the new luxury condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City