Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times

Advertisements

I'm from (well, everywhere) but I'm also from the Pac NW. I'm getting a degree in an "economically disadvantaged" area of study. I have one internship under my belt. I've had a couple of dead end jobs.

By the time I will have graduated, I'll have had perhaps another internship and another dead end job. I'll also have 12k in debt. This will be within a year from now.

I'm in it for the experiences. Life's too short to not experience it. New York, if nothing else, will be an experience. I'm not sure any other place in America could say that. (Maybe LA..certainly not the Pac NW, or anywhere between..).

I've never actually been to New York. Details, Detail....

I have no idea how I'll get there, and no idea what I'll do when I get there, but that's where I'm going. I think I'll buy a car, pack up, and make my way there. I don't want to necessarily over think it, because it gets in the way of experiencing it when I do experience it.

When I get there, then what? I guess I'll find out.

How many people have done this, this going against reason, certainty, and have decided that there are more important things in life than just reason and certainty? That perhaps life is too short not to make brash (read stupid) moves?

How many people have actually managed to make it work?

Any tips? (Besides, you know, don't?). I'm well aware of how stupid I'm being. I've made my peace with that.

Any others doing the same?
Any New York success stories?
How about failure stories?

Let the public flogging begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I suspect you really wanted this to be in the New York CITY forum.

Or are you worried about being chewed up and spit out by farmers or Adirondack park rangers?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Dairy farmers aren't much on spitting, but their cows sure chew the cud.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Sometimes it swallows you whole.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
You will be in for a rude awakening and you will be back in the Pacific NW in no time. Sorry, truth hurts.

I could lie to you if you want....

Most people not from NYC can't make it here. Jobs are hard to come by even for the experienced people. Rent is more expensive here than most places in the country. I would not recommend having a car in NYC...nowhere to park it, and if you do find, it'll be expensive to get a spot, insurance is a fortune in NY.

Why would you want to move somewhere you have never been? At least come here and visit before you make such a move. It's a great place to live and work...very cut-throat though. What kind of job are you planning to get?

I wish you the best and I hope that happens for you, but plan on expecting the worst. It's tough to live here.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Could a mod move this NYC..please?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
I don't really understand the whole "new york spitting people out" deal. I've worked in NY in the past and it was no different than working in my home area, minus the transportation part.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Dub Dub, I would say moving into the New York City area as a low to middle income single would be very tough, if nothing else because of the expense. The reason many other people make it here is because they already have an established network and family & friends or they team up with other young people.

As for this "spit me up and chew me out" stuff, I would say that most New Yorkers I met over the years are actually pretty good most of the time. No, its not small farm town Kansas friendly but its not as bad as people make it out to be either.

Anyway, this is the New York STATE forum. And if your interested in New York State as a whole, not just NYC, well then you can find some of the things you are looking for.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
dub dub,

I applaud you and say "Go for it." After all, this life we live is NOT a rehearsal.
If you hate it you can always go somewhere else but there is just no substitute for experience.
Time for SAFETY when you are MUCH older.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Don't buy a car. Keep one suitcase full of possessions and take a bus or train or airplane to get here. There's nowhere to keep a car here and you don't need one. It's just a liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: