Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM

559 posts, read 1,113,948 times

Advertisements

The knee-jerk spewing of vitriol actually reminds me of Tea Partiers ranting against Obama.

Let me reiterate and try to refocus on substance:

(1) Why not allow a vote fourth term, not guarantee a fourth term? And this goes for any public office.

(2) New Yorkers can always vote against him. Ed Koch lost his try for a fourth term, and Ron Lauder, with all his money, performed miserably. If he is indeed despised, then he will lose if he chooses to run--unless you don't trust the people.

(3) Liu? Quinn? Don't you find them a wee bit like the description of the first George Bush? That he "reminded every woman of her first husband"? These potential successors seem like hacks, who've never had lives outside politics. In the same way that schools don't admit one-dimensional candidates who do not have extracurricular activities or outside interests other than exams, do you really want these people who, as I've said, are like the Reese Witherspoon character in Election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,175,374 times
I like Bloomberg. A lot of good has become of this city during his reign. I hope the next guy is all for urban development, diversity, and a green NYC. I also hope he leans LIBERAL, but our voters guerentee this.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,411,680 times
Urban...it's the same reason we don't have Presidents allowed to run more than 2 terms. We could have a contingent of the population large enough to just keep voting in the same horrible guy over and over again...Bush for 2 more terms? Yikes! Having a maximum 2 terms mitigates any fraud, or abuses by any one person or group and keeps everyone more honest (although not honest..just moreso). You have the same guy and his same friends in there for 20 years..nothing ever gets "uncovered"...you know what I mean?

In the bigger picture it's better that way. The end.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:33 PM

5,001 posts, read 8,234,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
There is a difference between being a race-baiter, and someone who acknowledges the racism that exists today.

You've baited on various threads. And I call you out anytime I see it.

But I admit I've diverted from the topic. I just couldn't help it when I saw that.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM

9,252 posts, read 24,128,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I like Bloomberg. A lot of good has become of this city during his reign. I hope the next guy is all for urban development, diversity, and a green NYC. I also hope he leans LIBERAL, but our voters guerentee this.
Not necessarily.We could easily get stuck with another Ghoulianni type creep.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM

9,252 posts, read 24,128,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Urban...it's the same reason we don't have Presidents allowed to run more than 2 terms. We could have a contingent of the population large enough to just keep voting in the same horrible guy over and over again...Bush for 2 more terms? Yikes! Having a maximum 2 terms mitigates any fraud, or abuses by any one person or group and keeps everyone more honest (although not honest..just moreso). You have the same guy and his same friends in there for 20 years..nothing ever gets "uncovered"...you know what I mean?

In the bigger picture it's better that way. The end.
Exactly.There should be term limits on everyone,not more exceptions.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,479,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
What diversity exists in neighborhoods with $20M apartments that are rented for $20Ka month? During Bloomberg's time in office these enterprises are flourishing.
(Note - I am still holding my breath for the jobs on the way, because you know, Bloomberg knows Wall Street folks very well).
But we all can count on one thing: if he remains in office, smoking will be banned in people's toilets (gee, that's a potential area of growth - toilet inspectors...).
Green? Not a problem: sidewalks on Canal Street and FDR drive will be painted in green, chairs and tables be brought for people to sit and rest between the traffic lanes. That's development!
Wait, I almost forgot this clever invention: a modest $8 congestion tax for anyone driving mid and down-town. (Including those getting out, because we need to be fair).

Last edited by oberon_1; 12-19-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,411,680 times
Oberon..the wealthy need a place to live as much as the indigent..and we have both in this city. Would you rather have the generationally poor double in size in NYC, or the wealthy? Which is better for NYC?

Note-keep holding your breath for the jobs on the way....it's the entire economy, not just NYC in the doldrums. In case you didn't know, we are much better off than most of the country.

And we can all count on another thing if he is in office, more ludicrous statements by people who love to hate...Bloomberg just happens to be the current target.

And if you don't like green...maybe paving over the entire city and all greenspaces is the better strategy? Trees and NYC don't mix after all...just concrete. And who needs places to sit....heck no..we want more traffic, exhaust and highways! Yes!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,175,374 times
Oberon, are you blind? I see you have failed to notice the non-stop construction of mixed income housing across the boroughs. Gentrification creating diversity in formally economically segregated neighborhoods. I see more internationals here then ever. NYC has truely earned the title, world class city.

People complain and complain but do not acknowlege the hard work. The Bloomberg administration has done wonders and continues to change the city for the better. Some of you should read and download plan 2030 to see just whats in store and the challenges to meet those goals. Good stuff for NYC.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 PM

5,001 posts, read 8,234,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
The knee-jerk spewing of vitriol actually reminds me of Tea Partiers ranting against Obama.

Let me reiterate and try to refocus on substance:

(1) Why not allow a vote fourth term, not guarantee a fourth term? And this goes for any public office.

(2) New Yorkers can always vote against him. Ed Koch lost his try for a fourth term, and Ron Lauder, with all his money, performed miserably. If he is indeed despised, then he will lose if he chooses to run--unless you don't trust the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Guy wins because he outspends his opponents by 20 - 1. Literally. He basically owns the media and throws his crap in your face 24/7 during election time. And people are for the most part complacent and will do what they're told. That is why he wins, and barely let me remind you against an extremely weak candidate like Thompson who hardly had any money or ads.

The whole point is moot though, because anyone with eyes can tell that his weak third term has made him an even angrier little tantrum throwing troll. I personally feel that he wants nothing to do with it anymore.

Derp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City