Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM

961 posts, read 2,466,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Having tuition rates increase and saying it's less liberal is like saying milk costs more therefore it's less liberal. Things go up..unless of course you want everything to cost the same it did 20 years ago and never change? That's not reality.

Small businesses making way for national chains again has nothing to do with less liberal...that has to do with change. In case you didn't know, those national chains were mom and pops, then became very successful, expanded and became national chains. Those are American success stories, not things to thumb your nose at. We wish all mom and pops were that successful!

I don't see catering to Wall St as liberal, nor does any sane person believe that. Who is giving that example?
I'm actually harping on your use of the word "liberal" and what you consider "liberals" running NYC. The free tuition CUNY system was once free because liberals believed government should provide access to higher education to promote upward mobility. Granted for very practical reasons it could no longer support a free tuition system. However increasing tuition every year by hundreds of $'s makes higher education less accessible and "liberals" have been protesting this, thus anti-liberal.

And its not so much that chains are coming into NYC, its that successful small businesses cannot survive because of skyrocketing rents which cause them to leave no matter how well they're performing. You're right, Duane Reade is a local NY success story.

And finally, forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your post but you said "NYC is controlled by unions and class warfare, and everyone caters to Wall St, these are the bread and butter of liberals..." maybe I'm misreading it, but thats what I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,392,963 times
Ok let's bring the conversation back to reality. WHO cannot attend CUNY because it is too expensive? If you are poor you get a free ride via financial aid...so let's refrain from saying CUNY is less accessible. If you have a heartbeat, you get automatically accepted, and if you are poor you get a free ride, regardless of the increases every year. The accessibility remains unchanged.

Spouting otherwise is just rhetoric by those who either don't know what they are talking about or want more freebies. Point me to someone who cannot afford to go to CUNY and I will point you to the reason why they can't: They are incapable of filling out a financial aid form. Who's fault is that?

Skyrocketing rents are not the fault of chains, or anyone else, they are caused by high demand. So it could be chains, or anything else. That's life.

As for my comment above, I was referring to "everyone" as in everyone who wants to line their pockets regardless of political affiliation...which would include some liberals, although they do not openly promote it.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Ok let's bring the conversation back to reality. WHO cannot attend CUNY because it is too expensive? If you are poor you get a free ride via financial aid...so let's refrain from saying CUNY is less accessible. If you have a heartbeat, you get automatically accepted, and if you are poor you get a free ride, regardless of the increases every year. The accessibility remains unchanged.

Spouting otherwise is just rhetoric by those who either don't know what they are talking about or want more freebies. Point me to someone who cannot afford to go to CUNY and I will point you to the reason why they can't: They are incapable of filling out a financial aid form. Who's fault is that?

Skyrocketing rents are not the fault of chains, or anyone else, they are caused by high demand. So it could be chains, or anything else. That's life.

As for my comment above, I was referring to "everyone" as in everyone who wants to line their pockets regardless of political affiliation...which would include some liberals, although they do not openly promote it.
And what of the cuts to Pell Grants which are a large part of financial aid? Anyhow the point is, yes liberals may have a voice in NYC politics, but to say the city is "controlled" by Unions and class warfare...I don't know, I think that just might be a perspective, not fact. As far as commercial rents, many of them are artificially high, I've seen it happen over and over again. Not all landlords do it, but I know of many who do, especially in Brooklyn.

Furthermore I am a student, undergrad you have your pell grants but it gets difficult with raised tuition and cut backs on grants. I'm in grad school now, for which there are no pell grants only loans, so if you can get loans for tuition even after the hike, all it means is more debt. So yes, it does affect accessibility.

Last edited by twist07; 12-23-2011 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 04:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,472,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What do you mean? He is posting actual facts and you're just responding with fluff. It is a fact that New York City had and has lower than average unemployment rates throughout this recession. Also, many areas in the other boroughs outside of Manhattan are developing quite nicely even though we are in a recession. Just look at the Bronx, downtown Brooklyn, LIC in Queens, etc. Like it or not New York City as a whole became a much better city during Bloomie's term.
As usual, this thread derailed. The OP was about Michael Bloomberg. What jobs did he create or helped creating? As I said, I know the economic circumstances and do not accuse him of the recession, but jobs creation?
Aside from that, what is so great about NYC economy? Did you look for a job recently? And how is NYC a much better place than it was 10-15 years ago?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:35 AM

15 posts, read 34,255 times
Mayor bedbug is an arrogant little POS who doesn't care one iota about the people.

GOD FORBID THAT THE PRICK BUYS ANOTHER FOUR YEARS

Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM

559 posts, read 1,112,789 times
That is a valid opinion, and you should be allowed to express that in an election by voting against him. In the same way that those who would like him to stay should be able to vote to do so.

The Republicans have been blocking all legislation in the US Senate by the use of a filibuster, or a threat thereof. Why should votes not be allowed to take place? Why should term limits artificially restrict voters' choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Values View Post
Mayor bedbug is an arrogant little POS who doesn't care one iota about the people.

GOD FORBID THAT THE PRICK BUYS ANOTHER FOUR YEARS

Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,224,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
That is a valid opinion, and you should be allowed to express that in an election by voting against him. In the same way that those who would like him to stay should be able to vote to do so.

The Republicans have been blocking all legislation in the US Senate by the use of a filibuster, or a threat thereof. Why should votes not be allowed to take place? Why should term limits artificially restrict voters' choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Guy wins because he outspends his opponents by 20 - 1. Literally. He basically owns the media and throws his crap in your face 24/7 during election time. And people are for the most part complacent and will do what they're told. That is why he wins, and barely let me remind you against an extremely weak candidate like Thompson who hardly had any money or ads.

The whole point is moot though, because anyone with eyes can tell that his weak third term has made him an even angrier little tantrum throwing troll. I personally feel that he wants nothing to do with it anymore.

Quote:
Derp

Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Mind you, even though he out spent his last opponent (Bill Thompson) damn near 20-1 in the last election, he won by a suprisingly thin margin. And Thompson was extremely lackluster and uninspiring. Which means most of those who voted against Bloomberg did it more to spite him, not because they really wanted Thompson as mayor.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,392,963 times
Oberon1...the answers to all of your question are quite obvious, especially to a longtime resident. As far as job creation, the only places that created jobs were fossil fuel economies, like Texas...the rest of the country is marred in recession like NY.

The reality is, NYC is better off than 95% of the country...or recession was less severe, unemployment not as high, foreclosures negligible, and there are still plenty of jobs to be had, well paying at that. The city is still investing heavily in infrastructure, green space, affordable housing, etc despite the recession. The bail out of the investment banks means that NYC did not get hit as hard, however Bloomberg advocated greatly on their behalf because he knew the repercussions for the city if they went under.

As far as what makes NYC's economy "so great"...well unless you been under a rock for 100 years, you should know that answer..I won't waste my time here explaining it to you. There is a reason the world's wealthy, indigent, and everything in between are drawn to NYC and not..say Poho, Missouri..or any other place in the country. Figure it out.

Regarding how NYC is better than 10-15 years ago...well..I think that's pretty simple and every long-term resident can answer that...drop in crime, improvement of QOL, major investment in infrastructure and housing, more green space, less segregation, more accountability.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM

25,392 posts, read 37,139,204 times
When money and incumbancy can guarantee re-election, then only laws to prevent permanent "elected" positions can stop the encroaching practice.
A HUGE mistake the writers of the Constitution made was to instate a lifetime term for Supreme Court Injustices.

Just like flushing a toilet cleans it, so should politicians be periodically cleaned out. Making either process automatic or mandatory keeps toilets and City Halls (and the Capitol) cleaner.

Do those who espouse a possible lifetime NYC mayor, also espouse a possible lifetime presidency? I'm sure Bill Clinton would be happy to cooperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City