Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Gosh, all of this non-communication.

The brother did not express himself precisely.

What he meant is that when blacks are out and about, specifically when they are in majorily non-black circumstances (which is ALWAYS the situation outside of a black neighborhood), particularly in majorily white circumstances, blacks will ALWAYS as a matter of course, acknowledge other blacks. ALWAYS!

Why?

Simple, because we are always outnumbered and always outgunned. It is our natural state in America.

Also, in many instances, this acknowledgment is part recognition of a fellow of one's social class. Being a black in many social, economic and business settings the only other black(s) about (usually just one or two) will share a common social and economic status. Its like visiting Mars and coming across another Earthling. You are certain to acknowledge one another, if nothing else.

Whites, in contrast, do not act, generally, as a matter of course, in this circumstancial manner. The simple difference is that the circumstance, for whites, is rarely a matter of pure race.

For example, how often does a lone white find themselves in a room of 100 blacks and/or other minorities?

Blacks find themselves in the opposite circumstance too often for comfort, hence the common acknowledgment. Sometimes it is a 'glad to see you brother' nod, other times it is a 'way to go, keep up the good work' nod, sometimes it is a simple, 'keep the faith' nod. You'll also note, unless they know one another, the blacks will stay far apart. Other than the nod, the won't acknowledge each other. (Of course, there is always a knucklehead.)

Got it? So, that is how he knows. We all know.

Who's the knucklehead, obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
I disagree. I think New Yorkers are the most chatty people in the world. I have random conversations with strangers almost every week just riding the transit and being out and about.

I'm Asian and every race pretty much treats me the same. I haven't noticed any difference in races as far as willingness to interact, chat or be cordial and just exchange pleasantries. If anything maybe just the really rich people would be less likely to interact with others outside of their class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
This is tounge-in -check not a flame. My sample is only wandering around with my 11 yr old daughter and sometimes 19yr old son. We are white my son is Hispanic. This is not statistically significant and anecdotal evidence is inherently unreliable.

We spent a week going through Corona Queens each day and night as well as a few hours walking through Ebbets Field area of Brooklyn and 180th street western areas of Bronx.

Smiling or saying "Hi" to a whilte person was often ignored- maybe 40% of time unless they were tourists and then they would chat. This never happened with the many Blacks Hispanics and to a lesser extent Asians that we talked to. Blacks and Hispanics would often initiate conversations.

Many years ago I grew up in NYC and left in 1969. As a young white person I was told people who look you in the eye may be crazy as would any who talked to you. Maybe at one time this was true.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
This is tounge-in -check not a flame. My sample is only wandering around with my 11 yr old daughter and sometimes 19yr old son. We are white my son is Hispanic. This is not statistically significant and anecdotal evidence is inherently unreliable.

We spent a week going through Corona Queens each day and night as well as a few hours walking through Ebbets Field area of Brooklyn and 180th street western areas of Bronx.

Smiling or saying "Hi" to a whilte person was often ignored- maybe 40% of time unless they were tourists and then they would chat. This never happened with the many Blacks Hispanics and to a lesser extent Asians that we talked to. Blacks and Hispanics would often initiate conversations.

Many years ago I grew up in NYC and left in 1969. As a young white person I was told people who look you in the eye may be crazy as would any who talked to you. Maybe at one time this was true.
This is not exclusive to whites, it's just NYC.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
One thing I will say that I've noticed, is that men of color are more likely to give up a seat to a woman, elderly, etc than any other group. This could be entirely anecdotal, but it is something I have witnessed for years. I think it is likely due to the "old school" mentality, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Just my observation.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I think white people are friendliest to Whites and Black people are friendliest to Blacks.
That's my experience.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think white people are friendliest to Whites and Black people are friendliest to Blacks.
That's my experience.
It's a good thing that's YOUR experience and not mine.

Clearly your experience is not the norm. I(black) was on the elevator yesterday with an older white couple. Both acknowledged me and wished me Merry Christmas.

Your remarks, may be your experience but they sure do sound silly.

My experience is, it's all determined by each individual and no one person or situation represents the entire group.

Last edited by Ron.; 12-21-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM

237 posts, read 329,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
How do you know ?
Well..I've never seen it, not once. but you're right. I don't know for sure

Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It's a good thing that's YOUR experience and not mine.

Clearly your experience is not the norm. I(black) was on the elevator yesterday with an older white couple. Both acknowledged me and wished me Merry Christmas.

Your remarks, may be your experience but they sure do sound silly.

My experience is, it's all determined by each individual and no one person or situation represents the entire group.

My goodness, you as a black person have found friendly white people. Wow. Perhaps you should write a short story for the NEW YORKER.

Dear lord, can NOBODY understand what a generaliztion is? Does the poster need the definition of the word superlative? FRIENDLIEST? Comprende?

Does anyone in the City not believe that blacks are friendLIER (a comparative here...pay attention) with blacks than with whites?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
I'd say it depends on whether they are working behind a cash register or on the street. In my experience, whites on the street aren't so friendly, but they are a whole lot more friendlier behind the cash register than other groups. I don't know if retail stores otherwise seek out the most miserable people when filling those positions or what it is.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
One thing I will say that I've noticed, is that men of color are more likely to give up a seat to a woman, elderly, etc than any other group. This could be entirely anecdotal, but it is something I have witnessed for years. I think it is likely due to the "old school" mentality, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Just my observation.
Entirely anecdotally as well, but when I had a stroller to carry up/down subway stairs, it seemed that people of color were much more likely to help. It could have to do with location - in my neighborhood, which is majority latino, someone would always offer right away. On the upper west side, for example, white men were much more likely to walk right past me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City