U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 AM

570 posts, read 1,724,737 times

Advertisements

I check through NYC forum every now and then out of curiosity to see what is on the mind of New Yorkers. But everytime I check it out, it seems that every other post is about someone wanting to move or are moving into the city. I'm pretty sure that the post on here make up probably 10% maybe less of all the people trying to move to New York.

I know the population now is over 8 million, so my question is, do you think that the NYC's population will reach over 9 or even 10,000,000 in the next few years? Or are there as many people leaving NY as there are transplants coming in?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,171,463 times
The mayor is saying that the city will have a population of over 9 million in about 20 years. That is why he is hellbent on this whole congestion pricing thing. You know, to keep congestion low in Manhattan, and to fix up the subways and infrastructure around the Boroughs. Funny thing is, if you look at the historical population of NYC, NYC hit 7 million in the 1940's, but took untill 2000, for NYC to hit 8 million. That is because of all the people moving out back in the 60's-80's and fled high crime and the break down of this city. If that would of never happend, I think NYC will be over 10 million right now.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:16 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,409,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexsimplicity View Post
I check through NYC forum every now and then out of curiosity to see what is on the mind of New Yorkers. But everytime I check it out, it seems that every other post is about someone wanting to move or are moving into the city. I'm pretty sure that the post on here make up probably 10% maybe less of all the people trying to move to New York.

I know the population now is over 8 million, so my question is, do you think that the NYC's population will reach over 9 or even 10,000,000 in the next few years? Or are there as many people leaving NY as there are transplants coming in?
The US Census estimates that NYC will grow to over 9 million people by 2020-2025. If people from other countries continue moving here, as well as people from the hinterland of the US, NYC will continue the city population growth, absolutely.
The only reason NYC does not have over 10 million population right now is housing prices. The decades from the 1960s to the 1980s were hard on New York also.
I'd say NYC in 2010 will have around 8.35 million, and by 2020 I'd estimate around 8.8 or so. My bets are on 2025 to hit 9 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or