Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

I've seen that many immigrants (with or w/o green cards) will come here for work and at 60 or 65 or whatever, retire back to their homeland in the Caribbean, Europe, or Latin America. (Maybe the Middle East and Asia too? I don't know) I also know that many from Puerto Rico or the DR will take extendeded stays there, moving back and forth to NYC for months or even years at a time.

But I've never seen any numbers on how many immigrants just sort of give up and leave New York and the US altogether. I've been told that this is not uncommon and that a lot of immigrants can never adjust well here, get discouraged that all the streets in the USof A aren't paved with gold, or even sometimes they're just plain homesick.

I read somewhere that as an estimate its about 10% of immigrants end up leaving to go back home, but I've never seen any hard numbers on this. Anybody got any data or barring that, any anecdotal evidence of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
If they're not here legally those statistics are impossible to track. The census and the dept. of immigration might have some info on immigrants with proper documentation.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've seen that many immigrants (with or w/o green cards) will come here for work and at 60 or 65 or whatever, retire back to their homeland in the Caribbean, Europe, or Latin America. (Maybe the Middle East and Asia too? I don't know) I also know that many from Puerto Rico or the DR will take extendeded stays there, moving back and forth to NYC for months or even years at a time.

But I've never seen any numbers on how many immigrants just sort of give up and leave New York and the US altogether. I've been told that this is not uncommon and that a lot of immigrants can never adjust well here, get discouraged that all the streets in the USof A aren't paved with gold, or even sometimes they're just plain homesick.

I read somewhere that as an estimate its about 10% of immigrants end up leaving to go back home, but I've never seen any hard numbers on this. Anybody got any data or barring that, any anecdotal evidence of this?
It really depends on the stability of the home country, alot of them start families here and go back home with their retirement money because thats where they want to die, sorry to sound morbid. I know that no one in my family has ever returned for good. But Keep in mind that most of those who do come here and return almost always leave behind offspring they brought here young, or were born here. And they almost never go back.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
I think that the majority of today's immigrants come to America for economic purposes soley, some for the educational and opportunity interests of their children. Few come to be American.

They all have absolute intentions of returning home as soon as they make their fortune. Most have the primary goal of building a house, as in most other countries mortgages aren't a reality, so they need to pay cash.

What I have observed is, few ever make it happen. Which is not to say that they weren't successful in America, just that things change once here for a while and having established a life.

For many who bring their children or have children here, their children become American, something many parents did not count on. The parents may not be in love with America and long to return home, but their children, despite having spent ample time in the home country, are Americans, and have little desire to move permenantly to a third world country. Their ambitions are 100% American. So the children become a problem. I think immigrant parents resign themselves to the success they have managed here.

All that said I know and know of some that actually make it happen. A childhood friend's parents did very well and retired to the Red Hills of Trinidad. I've met many Greeks in Astoria who have family homes and/or build their dream homes in Greece. Dual citizenship helps and they go back and forth regularly. Two of my former neighbors retired to Greece, and their lone daughters took over the apartments.

A Filipino friend has built a house, and despite having lived here from childhood, and being quite American, plans to move back, marry and start a family. He has started an Internet busines which he intends to support himself.

I've know a few others as well, but most were middle class or better in their home countries, and so may have more to go back to. I don't know, but I always find it surprising that they would give up life in America for a third world country. My Filipino friend says he simply likes it better there and thinks he will do better. I personlly think he he is giving up, and escaping.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
1. People from Puerto Rico are technically not immigrants as it's a commonwealth of the US. They don't need a green card to stay here and you don't need a passport to go there.

2. A lot of people might also return home once they retire because the retirement they have saved here will last a lot longer in their home country than it will here. Some I know returned home to take care of elder family members who were too sick to come to America.

There are numerous reasons why one would stay here then return home, but for the most part they end up staying here.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
A lot of my Asian friends moved back to Asia after college or a few years of work. This makes sense considering the Asian economy.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I know amongst Dominicans its very common to go back for retirement. I would be curious to see a study with the #'s of how many immigrants go back. There is also the phenomenom of many children of immigrants (especially Asians)moving to their parents country of origin to live as expats...

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I think that the majority of today's immigrants come to America for economic purposes soley, some for the educational and opportunity interests of their children. Few come to be American.

They all have absolute intentions of returning home as soon as they make their fortune. Most have the primary goal of building a house, as in most other countries mortgages aren't a reality, so they need to pay cash.

What I have observed is, few ever make it happen. Which is not to say that they weren't successful in America, just that things change once here for a while and having established a life.

For many who bring their children or have children here, their children become American, something many parents did not count on. The parents may not be in love with America and long to return home, but their children, despite having spent ample time in the home country, are Americans, and have little desire to move permenantly to a third world country. Their ambitions are 100% American. So the children become a problem. I think immigrant parents resign themselves to the success they have managed here.

All that said I know and know of some that actually make it happen. A childhood friend's parents did very well and retired to the Red Hills of Trinidad. I've met many Greeks in Astoria who have family homes and/or build their dream homes in Greece. Dual citizenship helps and they go back and forth regularly. Two of my former neighbors retired to Greece, and their lone daughters took over the apartments.

A Filipino friend has built a house, and despite having lived here from childhood, and being quite American, plans to move back, marry and start a family. He has started an Internet busines which he intends to support himself.

I've know a few others as well, but most were middle class or better in their home countries, and so may have more to go back to. I don't know, but I always find it surprising that they would give up life in America for a third world country. My Filipino friend says he simply likes it better there and thinks he will do better. I personlly think he he is giving up, and escaping.
Its not just about the whole third world thing. There are a lot of other factors as well and having travelled a little I can tell you in a lot of countries life is slower, and more fun, less stressful, less economically obsessed, especially compared to NYC. Plus depending on exchange rates the dollar can go way further in another country. A person may be living in a third world country but have a way higher quality of life in that country than they would in the U.S. for the same amount of money. Some of these countries are akin to the U.S at the turn of the twentieth century in that they are ripe with opportunity...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 12-22-2011 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 06:11 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I know amongst Dominicans its very common to go back for retirement. I would be curious to see a study with the #'s of how many immigrants go back. There is also the phenomenom of many children of immigrants (especially Asians)moving to their parents country of origin to live as expats...
Economis has a lot to do with it.

Unfortunately, overall Dominicans, like a great many immigrants, rarely rise above working class status, and in many cases the only retirement benefit is Social Security. That is IF they persued and earned citizenship. Also, many do not receive the max SS benefit, unless they have worked a great many years, as result of low wages.

So, the retirement choice is a lousy apartment in a ghetto til they pass on, or, returning to their home country where their SS benefit will strecth furthest; and if they have been wise and fortunate, having built a house, then retirement, in their home country, can far exceed their working life in America, as well as retirement in America.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
Speaking from the Irish side, it was fairly common from the 70's-90's for the widowed (childless) or never married older Irish to return "home". Many built small cottages on family land, and as was mentioned in a previous post, went home to die. With their monthly social security check and some with additional pensions, it made economic sense to return home.

Starting in the '00's, it then became a thing for younger Irish immigrants (both legal and illegal) to return home to Ireland to enjoy the boost in the local economy brought on by the rising of the so-called Celtic Tiger. Yeah ... that didn't work out so well in the end ...

Nowadays, if the Irish are here legally, they're staying put. It's the illegals (younger generation) that are returning home. With the economy here being in the pits, it's not a good time to be illegal, looking for work, and trying to keep a roof over your head and something in your stomach. I'd say that would not be unique to the Irish, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: