Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:16 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,582 times

Advertisements

Wanderlost...thanks for the compliment. Feel free to repost my comment where ever you like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 04:02 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,562 times
A yuppie means different things to different people. One thing all definitions have in common is they usually are finanically wealthier than the exisiting residents and are from outside the community. Any other social/demographic/ethinc labels attached often go with the situation. To someone in Bed-Stuy, a middle class white family would be "yuppies", were as not so much in Bay Ridge.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,196 times
On this forum, I think that "yuppie" is code not only for wealthy whites in Manhatttan, but any whites who choose to live in non-white areas. In this forum, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you live within your means in a "sketchy" outer borough, you're a yuppie. But it's usually those who come AFTER the initial "wave"--when things are more "acceptable" and more "white"--who are more likely to be yuppies. To afford NYC now, you gotta have some guts and foresight, and move in before an area gets "hip." Buy into the area if you can, and ignore the naysayers who tell you an area is hopeless and you're a fool or a dreamer.

Hustla is right about one thing--we live in a capitalist society. Very few bother themselves with those who are pushed out, unless it is they who are being pushed. No one cares about the truly poor being ousted, esp if they are people of color, whom some seem to hate, fear, and/or resent in a knee-jerk fashion. They care about whether THEY are in turn ousted. Are they more entitled than those who paid their "dues" and lived in the area during the "hellish" times?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
The area where I've seen Arab-Americans best accepted in this part of the country is in and around Passaic County, NJ. There is historically a large concentration of Arabs in South Paterson who moved there 100+ years ago for the silk factory jobs and there continues to be an Arab presence in the South Paterson and the surrounding suburbs with ongoing immigration from Syria, Lebanon, and Turkey (I know, not Arab, but close enough).

The newer Arab immigrants who live in these areas are a little bit fob'ish, however they're generally accepted in that part of NJ. The older immigrants are however pretty much completley assimilated Americans. If you met one of those old time Arabs you would have no way of knowing that he was Arab unless you asked him or was speaking to him as he was eating a kefta-kebab sandwich.

Over on this side of the Hudson though most people seem very standoffish towards Arabs, especially after 9/11. Over in that area of NJ they are very much an accepted part of the community and are considered pretty much like regular white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I'm not fat nor gay, but yes, I'd hate to have deal with all those stereotypes.

I look Italian (like many Lebanese folks) people tell me, so I don't always deal with those stereotypes until I yell out "I'm an Arab!"

I have no idea where to put it.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:12 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,071 times
Yuppie:

-Moves in and raises the rent. Gets ripped off. Which leads to displacement for others.
-Calls ****hole areas up and coming on the net.
-Their city is perfect in their eyes, like a child with a brand new toy.
-Think they are street smart, but wonder through the ghetto. Defeats the purpose.
-Usually from the burbs, find them "boring". However could be from the city. Grew up sheltered.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:09 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,196 times
The orig. def of a Yuppie is simply "young urban professional"--hence the acronym. My point, as the OP, is that cynics like Hustla (hey, welcome back!) add on other characteristics as a matter of course that may or my not be true.

If you can't afford Manhattan or even Brooklyn and you want to live somewhere in NYC, what choice do you have? The point is that many people who move to "marginal" areas don't have the means to live in the "nicer" areas. Is there some inherent sin involved in that?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:39 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
I consider a Yuppy to be:

Someone from outside the NY Metro area who moves to NYC because they saw a few movies and think it is cool

I do not consider all suburban kids to be yuppies because we have as much claim if not more than some of you in NYC because:

NYC is somewhere around 50% foreign born. Many Kids in the burbs are descended from the real NYers that grew up here during the old days. And they grew around mostly those people.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
I grew up in Rockland County and I moved to Riverdale 16 years ago when I got a job in this area and didn't want to commute every day. I chose Riverdale because my maternal grandparents lived there and i always liked it, and the desirable southern Westchester Communities I wanted to live in were too expensive. Riverdale was cheaper. I'm still glad i live here. I want to move to Bronxville but it costs a fortune to live there

I remember when the controller at my company gave me a reference to my landlord when I moved to Riverdale and she described me as a "Yuppie" to the landlord(which was probably OK to them).

However I have run into some narrow minded people who have this "moving up" mentality and question "why would someone move from Rockland to live in Riverdale?"; I have even heard people voice the question "why would someone move from Eastchester to Yonkers?". As if they see my decision as stupid or something. It gets to the point where I get embarrassed to tell people where i grew up and why I live here now. For god's sake, I went to school to help people, I moved to the area(and a nice one too) so i could be close to my job and to live in a safe affordable place, what more do they want?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:45 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
Are young white people who grew up in NYC and have professions also considered Yuppies?

Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I grew up in Rockland County and I moved to Riverdale 16 years ago when I got a job in this area and didn't want to commute every day. I chose Riverdale because my maternal grandparents lived there and i always liked it, and the desirable southern Westchester Communities I wanted to live in were too expensive. Riverdale was cheaper. I'm still glad i live here. I want to move to Bronxville but it costs a fortune to live there

I remember when the controller at my company gave me a reference to my landlord when I moved to Riverdale and she described me as a "Yuppie" to the landlord(which was probably OK to them).

However I have run into some narrow minded people who have this "moving up" mentality and question "why would someone move from Rockland to live in Riverdale?"; I have even heard people voice the question "why would someone move from Eastchester to Yonkers?". As if they see my decision as stupid or something. It gets to the point where I get embarrassed to tell people where i grew up and why I live here now. For god's sake, I went to school to help people, I moved to the area(and a nice one too) so i could be close to my job and to live in a safe affordable place, what more do they want?
My gf lives in Rockland, and is paying $8300/yr in property taxes! Moving from Rockland to Riverdale is NOT dumb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City