Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,075 times

Advertisements

Census Report Shows Hispanic Population Leveling Off

August 15, 2007

According to a new census report released last week, for the first time in decades, the city's Hispanic population is no longer growing by leaps and bounds – it's actually leveling off. NY1’s Dean Meminger filed the following report.

The Hispanic population in the Bronx is continuing to grow, to the point where the latest census figures show the borough is now officially more than half Hispanic, up two percent since 2000. But between 2005 and 2006, the growth slowed dramatically.

While the Hispanic population did increase somewhat in the Bronx, Queens and Staten Island, it decreased in Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Moderator cut: copyright material

NY1: The Bronx

Last edited by Keeper; 12-07-2007 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Once again, this is interesting stuff if it is true. Racial trends seem to be changing somewhat in the city. I suspect that most of this decline in the Hispanic population is coming from Puerto Ricans leaving the city for the surrounding suburbs or Florida.

The city as a whole seems to loosing a lot of its traditional character and population. Italian, Irish, and regular (reformed/conservative) Jews are leaving the city and being replaced by Yuppies, Russians, and Hassidic Jews.

African-Americans are leaving the city and going South and are being replaced by West Africans and Domicans.

Puerto Ricans are leaving the city and are being replaced by Mexicans, Central Americans, and Dominicans.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,075 times
^ Don't forget about the Asians. They do seem to be growing in New York aswell...

Asians Make Broad Population Gains in New York

By SAM ROBERTS
August 9, 2007

Asians were the only major racial or ethnic group to record population gains in every county in the New York metropolitan region since 2005, according to census figures released yesterday.

The Hispanic population grew in most counties, except New York (the borough of Manhattan), Kings (Brooklyn) and Hudson in New Jersey. The number of blacks declined in every borough except Richmond (Staten Island) and in some suburban counties. Whites increased in only two counties in the region: New York and Kings.

In the city, the growth among whites in those counties and the decline in black residents reflected a continued, if modest, reversal of patterns that had seemed immutable until the beginning of this decade.

But the dispersal of the black and Hispanic population to the outer suburbs appeared to be mirroring a national pattern. Within just a few years, the New York metropolitan region -- which includes the nearby counties of New York, Connecticut and New Jersey -- is projected to become the first large metropolitan area outside the South or the West where non-Hispanic whites are a minority.

But non-Hispanic white New York City residents became a minority in each borough except Staten Island by 1990, as they did in Hudson and Essex Counties in New Jersey. Union County, N.J., is on the brink of tipping, with Middlesex County, N.J., not far behind.

Since 2000, New York has recorded the greatest increase in Asians (309,773) of any metropolitan area (Queens was fourth among all 3,100 counties, with 58,515). The largest percentage increases in the city were on Staten Island (35 percent) and in Manhattan (20 percent).

From 2005 to 2006, the number of Asians increased by more than 10 percent in three New Jersey counties: Gloucester, Salem and Warren.

Metropolitan New York ranked fourth nationally in growth among Hispanic residents (418,720). Since 2000, the Hispanic population increased by 31 percent on Staten Island.

''New York is one of the cities being propped up by the growth in the Hispanic population,'' said Mark Mather, a demographer with the Population Reference Bureau in Washington.

Since 2005, though, according to the census, their ranks declined slightly in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Hudson County, N.J. The biggest increases among the Hispanic population in the metropolitan area during that period were by more than 9 percent in Litchfield County in Connecticut and by more than 7 percent in Warren County, N.J.

Since 2000, the New York metropolitan region lost nearly 250,000 white residents. The largest decline was in Nassau County (71,651), followed by Queens (59,056). Since 2000, the Bronx lost nearly 11 percent of its white population; Manhattan's rose by nearly 9 percent.

From 2005 to 2006, according to Census Bureau results released yesterday, Union, Bergen and Hudson Counties in New Jersey and Nassau and Queens Counties in New York posted the biggest white percentage declines.

Since 2005, the black population declined in the city and several suburbs, including Westchester and Rockland Counties, Fairfield County in Connecticut and Passaic, Hudson and Essex Counties in New Jersey. But it increased on Staten Island, in Nassau and Suffolk Counties and, in New Jersey, in Union, Morris and Bergen Counties.

Since the beginning of the decade, the biggest increase among blacks, nearly 102 percent, was at the western fringe of metropolitan New York, in Pike County, Pa., across the Delaware River.

Since 2005, among the largest population percentage gains, more than 6 percent, were in Putnam County in the Hudson Valley and in Warren County, N.J.

http://select.nytimes.com/search/res...10894DF404482#

Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
If the Hispanic population in NYC flatlines, I belive NYC will start to loose population again. A few years ago NYC slightly lost population (04-05 I belive). It makes sense for immigrant populations to flatline or decline as living cost are now out of this world and continue to rise. If this happeneds values for housing in areas like Bed-stuy will go to ****. A disaster in the making. A true housing collapse. Immigrants fuel NYC's growth. If it wasn't for immigrants, NYC would have have about 6 million people right now.

However, rents in areas like Midtown will always be high as people will try to relocate there from other parts of the city.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,044 times
Since Hustla bumped the thread, I might as well ask if there's any updates on who's leaving and who's not?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Since Hustla bumped the thread, I might as well ask if there's any updates on who's leaving and who's not?
Same old.

Whites leaving. Whites make up the bulk of the middle class in the USA. NYC offers nothing for the middle class.

Some pro urban people "yuppies" are moving to NYC and settling in Manhattan, some in Brooklyn. However there is negative net growth when it comes to the White population.

Blacks. African Americans (originally from the south) are leaving. Replaced by Jamaicans, Hatians and other West Indians. Also African immigrants. Don't know if they have a negative net growth or what.

Latinos, according to this Latinos are stalling. By far the fastest growing group in NYC. Makes sense considering immigrant Latinos are poor. I guess the word got back home NYC is a rip off.

A lot of Dominicans are starting to leave for cheaper areas although there is a huge DR population in NYC. North Carolina seems popular. DR's are usually only in NYC for one or 2 generations.

Puerto Ricans are declining population wise. Still similar population to Dominicans though and like Dominicans where you find Puerto Ricans, you find lots of them. However I read in two boroughs there was an increase. I belive this due to PR's leaving areas they are priced out of (Bushwick, East Harlem, LES, Sunset Park) and moving into already heavy PR hoods like the South Bronx. The two boroughs are the Bronx and Brooklyn. South Bronx of course, and East NY/Cypress Hills in Brooklyn. However many Puerto Ricans are moving to central Florida (Orlando), NJ (Camden), PA (North Philly, Reading, Lancaster, Allentown I belive), and back to PR.

Mexicans are becoming significant. Years ago I used to never see Mexicans in NYC. Today forget it. They are taking over East Harlem, Sunset Park, and Bushwick, along with other areas across the city. Also in the Bronx they stick around train stations across the borough. Many to an apartment is how they afford the rent.

Asians are growing, especially in Queens and Manhattan. Maybe Brooklyn and Staten Island I don't know. The Bronx has a such a small Asian population anything is growth. So city wide growth.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Here are two articles I found from the NY Times about the demographics of the city & surrounding areas:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/12/ny.../12census.html

Interesting quotes:

Quote:
After shrinking for decades, the proportion of New Yorkers who are white and non-Hispanic appears to have leveled off since 2000 and may even have risen slightly in 2006, the latest year surveyed by the census, according to results released yesterday.
Quote:
“The decline of the white population seems to have come to an end,” said Andrew A. Beveridge, a demographer at Queens College of the City University of New York. “After at least six decades of decline, the white population has stabilized, and there is evidence that it even increased during the last couple of years. Unlike other cities, such as Detroit, it may be possible for New York City to be diverse, but with relatively stable populations from a wide range of racial and ethnic groups.”
Quote:
In the region, Asians were the only major racial or ethnic group to record population gains in every county in 2006. The Hispanic population grew in most counties, and the number of black residents declined in every borough except Richmond and in some suburban counties.

During the same time that the city’s white population has stabilized, the region has been on the verge of becoming the first metropolitan area outside the South and West where minorities form more than 50 percent of the population. In 2006, non-Hispanic whites made up 51.2 percent of the population of the region, including the city, down from 51.5 percent in 2005.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/ny.../16weekwe.html

Quote:
The suburbs continue to swell with immigrants like Mr. Seon and Ms. Kim and their children, newly released census data show. The Hispanic and Asian populations grew faster in the suburbs of New York than in the city in 2006, while the white population in the suburbs grew more slowly.
Quote:
All the major ethnic groups are suburbanizing,” said William H. Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution. “What drives it is where the jobs and cheap housing are.”

In just one year, the Hispanic population in suburban counties grew by 85,000 to just over two million — an increase of about 4 percent. Some of that may be a result of the inclusion of those who live in group quarters, but the proportion of the population that is Hispanic also grew to 16 percent, from 15.6 percent.

The reported number of Asians in the suburbs increased by 50,000 to 859,000, compared with an increase of 40,000 in the city.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
"During the same time that the city’s white population has stabilized, the region has been on the verge of becoming the first metropolitan area outside the South and West where minorities form more than 50 percent of the population. In 2006, non-Hispanic whites made up 51.2 percent of the population of the region, including the city, down from 51.5 percent in 2005."

I thought I had read that this happened in Chicago already. Maybe they are including Chicago as part of the West since it is in the midwest.

I do want to point out the Hispanic community in NYC is much more diverse now than in previous years. There is a growing Mexican population, there is also a pretty big Central and South American presence, mostly concentrated in Queens people always seem to forget about.

Anyway a lot of interesting information in this thread.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Not sure if anyone touched on this but keep in mind that Hispanics/Latinos aren't a racial group but a cultural one so their numbers can represent something different than those of Blacks,Whites and Asians.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 PM

Mead (Doesn't let me quote your quotes):

Eventually the White population will hit rock bottom. However I still feel it is way too early for that and based on my observation, the mentality of the White population, and historical trends I doubt the city net population has grown. A hiccup like a stall is possible but I doubt the population grew any.

I feel the White population will hit rock bottom soon, then grow a little, sink again, ect. Eventually stay stable but at a lower percentage of the city then it is now.

The news that all Blacks are leavin is new to me. Surprising. I thought West Indians were still filling parts of this city up. Guess not and it makes sense. The city is too damn expensive. NYC is not good for Blacks anyway.

Latinos, didn't see this one coming. Again, the city is too damn expensive. Latino's have been the driving force behind the growing population of NYC over the years.

Asians, expected growth. However it looks as though Asians were the only group to grow.

So the city must have experienced another slight decline in population. The second in 5 years.

Now the bad is this. The city has become too expensive and people realize this. People will stop coming to the city when the only affordable area are full of problems. When the population starts to fall, the needs for housing will drop. This is good and bad. The good is less homeless. The bad is, property values will collapse in certain areas where they are heavily inflated. Central Harlem, Bed-stuy, Crown Heights, ect. These areas that were otherwise desireable only becuase of their low price no longer will be. With a shrinking population, more housing is available. That means more housing now vacant in desireable areas (well temporarily vacant). That means people will try to relocate to more desireable neighborhoods. That doesn't mean Park Ave/E 57th Street will be cheap tommorow. However there will be housing there for the taking and with less population to move in, people will want to live there. The undesireable areas will also have more vacant housing but with more housing available, why live there? Anyway you get the point.

Whatever goes up must come down and this is one of many signs NYC has some hard times ahead. The city overall has been too fortunate for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City