Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 26,548 times

Advertisements

I had lost my job last year and have not been able to find work. I exhausted my savings and loans from family and now I owe 4 months rent and finally was able to get a TLC license so now I can drive a cab for some income.

Is there anything I can do to stop the eviction? Are there any public assistance programs that can help me? I dont want welfare to pay my rent every month. I just need help with the $5000 in back rent and Im good to cover the future rent now that I am driving a cab until I can get another job in the computer IT field where I have 10 years of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 05:08 PM

22 posts, read 42,224 times
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,844 times
See if you can work a deal with the landlord to pay a portion of the back rent and the current rent each month .
Maybe the current rent plus $4-500 of the arrears each month.
Get a roommate if you can't afford that (if the apt has enough room).
If the landlord doesn't go for that I would tell he/she if they get a judgement in court it will be hard to collect since you have no assets.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical thinking View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Why should I be ashamed of myself? You dont know me or what Ive been going through. And none of your posts are helpful to anyone. Mostly racist, garbage posts from you.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongheart4 View Post
Why should I be ashamed of myself? You dont know me or what Ive been going through. And none of your posts are helpful to anyone. Mostly racist, garbage posts from you.
Racist? You have, for all intents and purposes, stolen thousands of dollars from your landlord and are scheming to steal more from either him or from the taxpayer. NYC in 2011 is no place for a deadbeat like you.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Racist? You have, for all intents and purposes, stolen thousands of dollars from your landlord and are scheming to steal more from either him or from the taxpayer. NYC in 2011 is no place for a deadbeat like you.

Stealing? you are a piece of garbage living in your moms house. I know who you are, youve been posting on other forums talking about Canarsie and how its such a ghetto and so on.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Canarsie is a ghetto, pure and simple. I don't live in my mother's house, I live in my own. And I pay the mortgage on time, always.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongheart4 View Post
I had lost my job last year and have not been able to find work. I exhausted my savings and loans from family and now I owe 4 months rent and finally was able to get a TLC license so now I can drive a cab for some income.

Is there anything I can do to stop the eviction? Are there any public assistance programs that can help me? I dont want welfare to pay my rent every month. I just need help with the $5000 in back rent and Im good to cover the future rent now that I am driving a cab until I can get another job in the computer IT field where I have 10 years of experience.
If you cannot work something out with your landlord, you should apply for a one-shot deal.

If you go to housing court, do not agree to anything that you cannot do. The judges will work with you, but be sure that you can actually complete the payment plan - especially, before you sign. Tell them what payment is possible.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
This may be your lucky day, so to speak. The lucky part, for you, is that I just posted information about resources for people facing problems like eviction.

The discouraging part for me, is although I recently posted here for future reference, you obviously didn't bother to do a search, nor did anyone point out to you that I just provided the information within the last two weeks.

You didn't mention some critical details - whether you're stabilized, whether you just had a threatening letter from the landlord or if it has reached the point of involving the marshal, whether you've discussed the problem with the landlord previously. Actually, I suspect you're lucky that your landlord waited this long.

I'm reposting the numbers, and suggest that you call the one at the bottom immediately - Eviction Intervention.

Rent Stabilization 212-385-2934
DHCR (Housing and Community Renewal) stabilization hotline 718-739-6400
Attorney General consumer help line 800-771-7755
Tenant harrassment 212-240-6021
Legal aid for seniors 417-3880
Eviction Intervention 212-308-2210

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...s-trouble.html

Also, if I may say so, to me it's a bad sign that you didn't search. If you want to get through this, you have to be aggressively looking for help, not just posting a plea and expecting others to rush to your aid. I suggest you start by doing a search of this forum, since there may have been helpful solutions in the past, and then proceed with your telephone book plus Google.

Good luck with generating some income. Despite some of the rudeness here, most of us know that times are tough.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
I agree. The handouts need to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City