Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 26,670 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Texas to New York, and I've just accepted a job with a great company in Midtown.

I do not start my new job for another month, so I'm asking for help on how to move and find an apartment.

I'm in my 20's, and I'd like to be in a safe neighborhood; I'm financially stable, so high rent is not a concern at all. Should I search for apartments in Midtown that are closer to my job? Go farther downtown? I've been told to go from neighborhood to neighborhood to get the feel of them, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to experience them all in such a small timeframe.

Is Craigslist a reliable source or are brokers worth the cost?

I'm already residing in a 1 bedroom apartment, and I'm looking at studio apartments and 1 bedrooms - opinions on whether it's worth the hassle of moving myself up there or should I sell all of my furniture in Texas and buy new furniture in New York?

Any other tips on moving would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM

111 posts, read 172,831 times
Congrats on your job!

Midtown is a crowded place due to tourists, office workers, shops, etc. I would not live there.

Places you should consider are Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Batter Park, and Hoboken NJ. A studio to 1 Bedroom will cost around 1700 to 3000. Remember, you will need 1 month rent, 1 month rent as a deposit, and broker fee if you go that route.

Craiglist is good but also try Trulia, NYBITS.com, Urbanedge.com.

Is the furniture of sentimental value to you?? If not, i would sell it and bring only the electronics, dvds, clothes and books. Ikea has good prices on furniture.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM

19 posts, read 67,458 times
To throw a wild-card out there:

If you're willing to consider somewhere outside of Manhattan, then Long Island City or a surrounding neighborhood in Queens may be worth a look.

These are each about 10-15 minutes from mid-town on the subway, and it is much easier (and cheaper) to keep a car, and drive somewhat regularly in Queens. Not to mention the cheaper rent and overall cost of living.

If you have money to possibly buy, then the best investment at the moment would be in Sunnyside. It's the next neighborhood to explode in value, and there are a number of town-house style buildings in that neighborhood. If you work close to Grand Central/Bryant Park/Times Sq, then they are all accessible on the 7 train in about 15 minutes on weekdays.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,123,811 times
Congrats on the new gig and new life.

Check out this website: New York City Apartment Rentals | Apartments Integrated Inc. Manhattan, NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by haerickson View Post
I'm moving from Texas to New York, and I've just accepted a job with a great company in Midtown.

I do not start my new job for another month, so I'm asking for help on how to move and find an apartment.

I'm in my 20's, and I'd like to be in a safe neighborhood; I'm financially stable, so high rent is not a concern at all. Should I search for apartments in Midtown that are closer to my job? Go farther downtown? I've been told to go from neighborhood to neighborhood to get the feel of them, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to experience them all in such a small timeframe.

I'm already residing in a 1 bedroom apartment, and I'm looking at studio apartments and 1 bedrooms - opinions on whether it's worth the hassle of moving myself up there or should I sell all of my furniture in Texas and buy new furniture in New York?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
In your 20s, you would be bored on the UES for the most part. I would tend to look more toward Downtown neighborhoods such as SoHo, TriBeCa, parts of the Village, etc. Murray Hill is also popular, though it can have more of a post-college vibe. Midtown East is worth a consideration, as would be Turtle Bay, Kips Bay, and even Sutton Place.

Any choice in neighborhood depends upon a few key criteria: What sort of neighborhood feel do you want? How close to work do you want to live? Do you want to be able to walk to work, or is a commute by subway/bus acceptable? Do you want to bring a car with you? Do you want a newer building, or an older building? There are many great areas to consider, but it really depends upon what you want as to what I would recommend.

Moving can be expensive, but so can furniture. If you have invested in good furniture, then it might make sense to move it, but New York has just about any kind of furniture available, so you would be able to replace it without too much difficulty.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 AM

43,299 posts, read 43,957,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max11USA View Post
To throw a wild-card out there:

If you're willing to consider somewhere outside of Manhattan, then Long Island City or a surrounding neighborhood in Queens may be worth a look.

These are each about 10-15 minutes from mid-town on the subway, and it is much easier (and cheaper) to keep a car, and drive somewhat regularly in Queens. Not to mention the cheaper rent and overall cost of living.

If you have money to possibly buy, then the best investment at the moment would be in Sunnyside. It's the next neighborhood to explode in value, and there are a number of town-house style buildings in that neighborhood. If you work close to Grand Central/Bryant Park/Times Sq, then they are all accessible on the 7 train in about 15 minutes on weekdays.
I would suggest Astoria which is just north of Sunnyside and is a good vibrant neighborhood for a young person.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haerickson View Post

Which part of midtown (nearest intersection, or general vicinity) is the job?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,123,811 times
Great post.

Gives me something to work with as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
In your 20s, you would be bored on the UES for the most part. I would tend to look more toward Downtown neighborhoods such as SoHo, TriBeCa, parts of the Village, etc. Murray Hill is also popular, though it can have more of a post-college vibe. Midtown East is worth a consideration, as would be Turtle Bay, Kips Bay, and even Sutton Place.

Any choice in neighborhood depends upon a few key criteria: What sort of neighborhood feel do you want? How close to work do you want to live? Do you want to be able to walk to work, or is a commute by subway/bus acceptable? Do you want to bring a car with you? Do you want a newer building, or an older building? There are many great areas to consider, but it really depends upon what you want as to what I would recommend.

Moving can be expensive, but so can furniture. If you have invested in good furniture, then it might make sense to move it, but New York has just about any kind of furniture available, so you would be able to replace it without too much difficulty.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 26,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'd prefer a somewhat busy neighborhood that has a lot of options when it comes to shopping/nightlife/restaurants. I don't necessarily want to walk to work, but I would prefer a short commute via subway. I will NOT be bringing a car with me - I think it's more of a hassle to have it. And I'd rather a newer building over an older, but that's definitely not a requirement.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 PM

988 posts, read 3,240,920 times
What part of midtown will you be working? You'll want the shortest commute possible and least transfers of subways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City