Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 PM

41 posts, read 115,707 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a condo in NYC and am considering East Harlem, the area below east 119st. There are a lot of new condos and coops being built. The area seems to be changing for the better. I have a friend that lives in the area and loves it. But, I want to get more than one person prescriptive or experience living in this neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
E Harlem has one of the highest crime rates in the city and there can be lot of quality of life issues as well.The real estate prices in E Harlem are also among the most over inflated in the city.

I think it could be ok to live in parts of E Harlem provided you do a lot of homework on the exact building and block and have a high tolerance for quality of life issues but I wouldn't advise buying anything there because it is too in vogue with people who don't know what they are doing and in such a situation everyone pays too much.

You should really rent in a neighborhood like that first and experience it yourself during the summer, when all the quality of life issues will be more evident.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 AM

111 posts, read 173,676 times
I agree with Bluedog. Don't buy but rent first in the area. In the summertime, Harlem and Washington Heights become really rowdy. If you have the $ to buy a condo, you should buy it in a well-established safe area. Harlem is in the process of gentrification but sadly, there are a lot of shady areas in Harlem.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
I tend to agree with that also. East Harlem has sky high prices but a Southern Bronx quality of life...doesn't make sense. There is alot of upside in the neighborhood however, as you can see all the developments shooting up to 125th. Rent first, even if it's just a temporary/6 month rental, just to get a feel for the neighborhood.

If you are a longer-term buyer, as in 10 years, I think buying in East Harlem is excellent (assuming you are ok with a transitional neighborhood). If you are a short-term buyer, as in 5 years or less...it may not pay-off for the sacrifices you make in QOL.

I am bullish on the neighborhood, but it is a long term investment...I feel the same way about the Southern Bronx as well..both long-term investments which will pay off handsomely IMO.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,851 times
The best part of East Harlem is north of E96th, south of Mt. Sinai Hospital, between 5th and Madison ave. Clean quiet street, prewar buildings, no sign of any ghetto-ness. That is the non "el barrio" part of East Harlem. It is also the most expensive part.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
The best part of East Harlem is north of E96th, south of Mt. Sinai Hospital, between 5th and Madison ave. Clean quiet street, prewar buildings, no sign of any ghetto-ness. That is the non "el barrio" part of East Harlem. It is also the most expensive part.
that is one little block right here, how about the "ghetto-ness" of lexington & 102nd st between the carver and the washington houses??

Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 PM

41 posts, read 115,707 times
thank you all

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGirl_2011 View Post
I'm looking to buy a condo in NYC and am considering East Harlem, the area below east 119st. There are a lot of new condos and coops being built. The area seems to be changing for the better. I have a friend that lives in the area and loves it. But, I want to get more than one person prescriptive or experience living in this neighborhood.
East Harlem has a loooong way to go before it even becomes a somewhat decent area.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:19 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I tend to agree with that also. East Harlem has sky high prices but a Southern Bronx quality of life...doesn't make sense. There is alot of upside in the neighborhood however, as you can see all the developments shooting up to 125th. Rent first, even if it's just a temporary/6 month rental, just to get a feel for the neighborhood.

If you are a longer-term buyer, as in 10 years, I think buying in East Harlem is excellent (assuming you are ok with a transitional neighborhood). If you are a short-term buyer, as in 5 years or less...it may not pay-off for the sacrifices you make in QOL.

I am bullish on the neighborhood, but it is a long term investment...I feel the same way about the Southern Bronx as well..both long-term investments which will pay off handsomely IMO.
How much do you think property will go up in 10 years? There are lots of nice condos in Harlem now for $500k. You think it will double to 1 million or more, or less?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
How much do you think property will go up in 10 years? There are lots of nice condos in Harlem now for $500k. You think it will double to 1 million or more, or less?
Anyone who thinks there is even a remote possibility of real estate values ever again doubling in a 10 year period needs their head examined.In 10 years, the Harlem condos now selling for $500,000 will be selling for $500,000......if they are lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City