Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,495 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in the Bronx my whole life, and to me I see no difference in crime statistics through out the Bronx. I do agree there are some area's that are nice, for example, Riverdale, Morris Park and Throgs Neck, but besides those area's most of the area's are the same. Can anyone give me info on Taylor Ave between Archer St and Cross Bronx Service Road N.

I actually went there the other night, about 8pm and spoke to some people in the area, they seem nice and didn't mind. The answers are pretty much the same. On the corner of Archer St is where bad things happen and stay away from that area. Any info or advise are much appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
It's ok there,not great.Sort of a very lower middle range kind of neighborhood safety wise for The Bronx.

Have to strongly disagree with your impression of Bronx neighborhoods.If you can't tell the difference between places like Woodlawn,Pelham Parkway,Pelham Gardens,Van Cortlandt Village,Country Club,City Island and Bedford Park and places like E Tremont,Mott Haven,Soundview ,Morrisania and Hunts Point you have a serious problem.

You should also be able to discern a difference between the neighborhood you are asking about and the neighborhood to the North,Van Nest,which is better and the neighborhood to the South,Soundview,which is worse.They are not all the same at all.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-03-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM

365 posts, read 502,104 times
I used to live on Archer nearer to White Plains and East Tremont and Gurlain. The area isn't too bad, but like you mentioned, the corners are always filled with young men hanging out. I've never heard of anything happening as far as crime goes, but a lot of things in that area go unspoken. You'll just start to notice more police presence. And or notices in the area telling you to be careful. Other than that, I don't think that area is too bad. That service road may be a little busy at times also. I would look into that, in the event that you have children.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
What part of the Bronx is this considered? I'm a little more familiar with the streets directly east of Parkchester like Starling Avenue. Haven't been to the streets immediately west of Parkchester that much.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
west of Parkchester (Taylor and Archer) have often been called West Farms in the news and papers perhaps because they have the 10460 zip code) but in reality it's not W Farms.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What part of the Bronx is this considered? I'm a little more familiar with the streets directly east of Parkchester like Starling Avenue. Haven't been to the streets immediately west of Parkchester that much.
Don't laugh. It's Park Versailles,really.

The Eastern 1/2 of the neighborhood of Park Versailles and the Western 1/2 of the neighborhood of Westchester Heights were torn down and combined into a new neighborhood of Parkchester !

The formerly 2 neighborhoods of Park Versailles and Westchester Heights are now the 3 neighborhoods of Park Versailles,Parkchester and Westchester Sq (always the center of Westchester Heights).

Park Versailles,Bronx - Google Maps

Park Versailles | Best Places To Live In NY - New York Daily News

Side note: When looking at the above google map you will notice Van Nest just to the North of Park Versailles and just above the Van Nest it says Bronx,right near the Bronx Park East subway stop.That is the exact geographic centerpoint of The Bronx ! I just knew you would all want to know that.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-03-2012 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
west of Parkchester (Taylor and Archer) have often been called West Farms in the news and papers perhaps because they have the 10460 zip code) but in reality it's not W Farms.
True. West Farms eastern boundary is Bronx River Pkwy and southern boundary the Cross Bronx Expwy.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
According to the old Bronx map posted recently in another thread the part of West Farms east of Bronx River was Park Versailles!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
looks like the localities of Bronx River, W Farms, Unionport, Soundview, Parkchester all up to Park Versailles!!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 10,495 times
Good to know, thanks for the post, but is it generally a good area. I just don't want to be worried for my wife when she goes from the train station to the house that we are planing on purchasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City