Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM

25 posts, read 93,032 times

Advertisements

Im thinking about moving to New York City and there are a few neighborhoods on my radar that Im not sure are that safe so I thought Id come here and ask.

1. Fort Greene
2. Prospect Heights
3. Morningside Heights
4. DUMBO/Downtown Brooklyn
5. Bed-Stuy
6. Bushwick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:24 PM

49 posts, read 126,032 times
i'm from queens and i can tell you for sure #5 and #6 still have lots of crime, #1 good in most areas, #'s 2,3, and 4 I've never been to nor have i met anyone from there so i cant really say for sure.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 PM

9,243 posts, read 24,025,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhipster916 View Post
Im thinking about moving to New York City and there are a few neighborhoods on my radar that Im not sure are that safe so I thought Id come here and ask.

1. Fort Greene
2. Prospect Heights
3. Morningside Heights
5. Bed-Stuy
6. Bushwick
Depends.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,557,688 times
Quote:

1. Fort Greene
2. Prospect Heights
3. Morningside Heights
5. Bed-Stuy
6. Bushwick
1. Generally, it's good as long as you're not by the PJs
2. Generally, it's good though some hood elements still remain
3. Safe
4. Safe
5. As a whole, Bed Stuy still has many problems but some blocks are good especially the west side near Clinton Hill
6. Once again, the neighborhood has many problems though I believe near the Queens border it's ok

Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,893,450 times
Prospect Heights is decent and Fort Greene is getting better. Downtown Brooklyn too.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM

25 posts, read 93,032 times
along with those how about long island city?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,893,450 times
Quote:
along with those how about long island city?
decent area, and getting better too. Just stay away from the Queensbridge housing projects.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,960,557 times
Go with DUMBO...and a good pair of walking shoes.
(I'm going to St. Anne's Warehouse tonight.)

Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 AM

510 posts, read 2,241,651 times
1. Fort Greene - South of Myrtle is good. The area between DeKalb and Fulton and East of St. Felix is one of the nicest areas in Brooklyn in my opinion.

2. Prospect Heights - As long as you're west of Washington it's very nice. The further east you go from Washington the worse it gets. Be wary of realtors selling you Crown Heights as Prospect Heights.

3. Morningside Heights - Safe, nice, kind of boring, Upper West Side spillover with a mix of Columbia Kids. I'd gladly live there. Not a lot of "hip" stuff that far uptown, though.

4. DUMBO/Downtown Brooklyn - DUMBO is awesome. It's a totally manufactured yuppy playground but I don't care, it's great. If I could live anywhere in the city this would be in my top 5. Realtors like to say something is DUMBO when it's actually downtown Brooklyn. Parts of downtown are fine and other parts, while fine safety-wise, are in traffic median wasteland.

5. Bed-Stuy - Some decent areas, some ncie looking brownstones, but still a neighborhood with many problems. I'd personally avoid it but if you do look there know that there are many different Bed Stuys. Some bordering on full gentrification, others run down and awful.

6. Bushwick[/quote] - Young, broke hipster central mingling with low income residents. I think it feels desolate or just unsafe in parts. Typically a high crime area that has seen a lot of gentrification this decade. There's a certain charm to the industrial/loft areas around the Morgan and Jefferson stops and it will probably look like a grittier Bedford Ave in another 10 years. The area around those stops is the only area of Bushwick that I would personally even consider. I kind of like the area but I think I'm too old for the cool kids vibe/lack of amenities these days (I'm 32).

Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,320,467 times
Question: do you have a specific price range? DUMBO is going to be on the more expensive side (for this list). Also, if you are indeed a "black hipster" are you looking for an area that has a heavy black hipster element? I'd say that prize goes to Fort Greene. Natural hair and black rimmed glasses galore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City