Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,565 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and have searched for hours on end to see a post similar to the question I'm about to ask but to no avail, so here it goes.

I live in Mitchel Houses in the Bronx, and let me just say the management office is the rudest place ever. The receptionist has a MAJOR attitude problem. She waves her hand at you to stop you in your tracks before even hearing you out, and treats almost everyone like a second class citizen. The office also plays favoritism, if your at the window and some one she knows comes in she'll once again interrupt you by putting her hands up, not even say excuse me and continue to talk to the person who just skipped you. Oh and if you're one of the druggies who need to use the bathroom she'll interrupt you and talk with them and give them the key so they can "use" the bathroom. Almost everyone is FED up but can't do nothing about it! (I say almost everyone because there are some who are very "close" with the receptionist so they get treated well)

There is also NO use in complaining to the office managers, they're just as bad if not worse than her! They are extremely sarcastic and racist, and brush off any question you have. They also HATE to be asked to be seen unless they DEMAND you come to the office when they ask you to. And if you happen to miss an appointment, they won't even reschedule they'll just roll their eyes and tell the receptionist to "handle" it.

My question is what higher up can I complain to about how this place is being run? It's an atrocity. There's nothing worse than having a bad management. Is 311 a good option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Ask Ms. Cohen shes pretty cool. A lot of those managers and office staff at the managmemt offices don't know how to handle people too well. There used to be a very nice lady at that front desk butlt she passed away a year ago, she was very nice and had a southern charm with her positive attitude.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This is par for the course in the housing projects. They can be as rude as they like...because there are no repercussions. What will happen? She gets fired? Never will happen....you think people are lined up to "work" for their Section 8 or government programs?

That's the people who work in an increasing number of city jobs. If apply for Section 8, many of the case workers are on Section 8 and could care less about much of anything. They don't want to be there any more than you do! Other programs are similar.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:13 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Work harder, learn more, earn more, and get the F out!

What else is there to do when you are at that level of life?

The effort you might put into trying to 'fix it' w/b better spent improving your personal life to a point you can say goodbye to all the losers. Isn't that enough motivation? Knowing the day is coming when you'll leave their sorry asses behind.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellz21 View Post
Hello everyone I'm new to the site and have searched for hours on end to see a post similar to the question I'm about to ask but to no avail, so here it goes.

I live in Mitchel Houses in the Bronx, and let me just say the management office is the rudest place ever. The receptionist has a MAJOR attitude problem. She waves her hand at you to stop you in your tracks before even hearing you out, and treats almost everyone like a second class citizen. The office also plays favoritism, if your at the window and some one she knows comes in she'll once again interrupt you by putting her hands up, not even say excuse me and continue to talk to the person who just skipped you. Oh and if you're one of the druggies who need to use the bathroom she'll interrupt you and talk with them and give them the key so they can "use" the bathroom. Almost everyone is FED up but can't do nothing about it! (I say almost everyone because there are some who are very "close" with the receptionist so they get treated well)

There is also NO use in complaining to the office managers, they're just as bad if not worse than her! They are extremely sarcastic and racist, and brush off any question you have. They also HATE to be asked to be seen unless they DEMAND you come to the office when they ask you to. And if you happen to miss an appointment, they won't even reschedule they'll just roll their eyes and tell the receptionist to "handle" it.

My question is what higher up can I complain to about how this place is being run? It's an atrocity. There's nothing worse than having a bad management. Is 311 a good option?
The normal thing to do if you are not happy with a building or it's management is to move ,not pick up the phone and call 311

Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Write or e-mail HPD.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:11 AM

15 posts, read 25,173 times
Hi,
welcome this forum!! and Work harder, learn more, earn more....

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I am in agreement in general that if people are unhappy with their living situation, they should "just move." The 3 problems I have with this theory are:

1. We are talking about someone living in the housing projects, so the presumption is if they could be somewhere else, anywhere else, they would be, so they are stuck there.

2. The idea of "just leaving" sounds great for you, but it never solves anything. You get out, but those who are unable to leave are stuck. How about we address the problems and solve them, so that even if you do leave, others currently residing, and future residents, are not stuck with these problems forever. A revolving door or people, and problems never addressed makes things worse, not better.

3. Housing is not really like a restaurant where everyone will stop going and it will close. It is a necessity as much as breathing and food, which is why see people living in inhumane conditions with no hot water, heat, mold, and decrepit surroundings. They need to live somewhere.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am in agreement in general that if people are unhappy with their living situation, they should "just move." The 3 problems I have with this theory are:

1. We are talking about someone living in the housing projects, so the presumption is if they could be somewhere else, anywhere else, they would be, so they are stuck there.
This is the talk of liberal progressive losers!

Stuck there? In my youth I used to think somewhat similarly, but with experience I have learned it just isn't true. Of course, nothing is absolute, but the reality is that people make choices. Yes, some people have more advantage and more options, but EVERYBODY has choices to make. Choices which will lead them in one direction or another.

Today, fewer and fewer people grow up in a vacum. Grow up in the projects in a bad neighborhood, you may not personally know more, but you damn well see more, TV, internet, and unlike back in the day, such folk are more mobile than ever. Back in the day, you might live deep in the hood and rarely leave it; racism and prejudice was FAR greater, a whole host of FAR greater negatives which weighed the disadvantage down, specifically brown and black people.

At NO point in American history have brown and black people had it so good, with so much opportunity before them. STUCK? Puh-leeze!

Quote:
2. The idea of "just leaving" sounds great for you, but it never solves anything. You get out, but those who are unable to leave are stuck.
Are you NUTS? Doesn't solve anything?

It solves things for YOU, the wife you have or may have, the children you have or may have. Let me emphasize, if you are young w/o wife/husband or family, it means that you have a *chance* at finding a positive mate, as opposed to the virtual certainty of a negative mate.

Your children will have positive role models. Go to decent schools. Frankly, escape the worst of the worst of influences and environments.

Moreover, if you really do the job right, there will not be 'fallback' and you will have founded a new generation of SUCCESS!! Your children, their children, their children's children, and so on, and so on, and so on....

One person making the right choices and working hard, can effect the lives of generations of his/her blood to come.

The people left behind are not my burden. The people who are yet to be born are my responsibility.

Quote:
How about we address the problems and solve them....
Sobro, Precisely and exactly, what is the problem?

so that even if you do leave, others currently residing, and future residents, are not stuck with these problems forever. A r
evolving door or people, and problems never addressed makes things worse, not better.
[/quote]

3. Housing is not really like a restaurant where everyone will stop going and it will close. It is a necessity as much as breathing and food, which is why see people living in inhumane conditions with no hot water, heat, mold, and decrepit surroundings. They need to live somewhere.[/quote]

You know Sobro, I find you bit contradictory. You claim to be a LL, and that you screen your tenants carefully. What for? Just accept anyone and work to solve their problems, which will become your problems.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM

111 posts, read 173,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Work harder, learn more, earn more, and get the F out!

What else is there to do when you are at that level of life?

The effort you might put into trying to 'fix it' w/b better spent improving your personal life to a point you can say goodbye to all the losers. Isn't that enough motivation? Knowing the day is coming when you'll leave their sorry asses behind.
I agree with Jcoltrane. If you complain and something is done about it you better hope they don't name you as the reason for the change. All you can do is move out and avoid living in that type of housing/environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City