Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM

25 posts, read 34,654 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I will be in New York the first week of March. We are staying on W 128th street. We are in town for 2 music auditions and a private lesson. My daughter plays the double bass and we will have the bass trunk. A mini van would work fine if the seats fold down. Stow in go - works very well. This is what we will need:

3-2 - From LGA to W 128th Street (bass and trunk)
3-3 - From W 128th street to private lesson (bass only) will know location soon
3-3 - From lesson to W 128th Street (bass only)
3-5 - From 128th Street to MSM (bass only)
3-5 - From MSM to W 128th Street (bass only)
3-6 - From W 128th street to Mannes (bass only)
3-6 - From Mannes to W 128th Street (bass only)
3-7 - From W 128th Street to Newark airport (with bass and trunk)

We do not need "fancy" service. What we do want is reliable, reasonably priced service. It doesn't have to be a company, a person with a van would be fine. We are planners and would like to prearrange everything, I really don't want to have to hunt down a mini van taxi while we have her instrument.

I've looked at many car services, but without asking I honestly don't know who to trust. She can not be late for any of these.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Kay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Any car service to meet your wants and needs would, indeed, be "fancy", as well as costly. I do not know of any "minivan" taxi service, so you would likely need to arrange for a limo thru a black car company.

Also, note, as you seem aware, because of your space needs, and the special vehicle, that you'll have to have the vehicle and driver, not only pick you up, but also *wait* while your daughter auditions and has her lesson, in order to return you to your location. Meaning you'll have to pay for the entire time while the car and driver waits, from pick up, to audition location, then back to original location.

Depending upon time and distance, a guesstimate as to cost w/b $100-$150 each trip. Frankly, once in the city, you could just lug the thing on the subway, though I don't suggest that. While, yes, there are minivan yellow taxis for street hail, they are few and far between, particularly at your location!

My suggestions:

First, I would suggest a better location. One safer, and perhaps within walking distance or central to your auditions and lesson.

A regular hotel, for example, with a desk/concierge who would make these arrangements for you.

Second, alternatively rent a mninvan at the airport, and be sure to have GPS.

Third, find a nearby garage to park the rented minivan, or if you use a hotel, choose one with a garage and/or valet service.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Thank you for the reply. I am not concerned about our safety in Harlem. There are several car companies that have mini vans for car service. They offer pick up to and from all airports. They also have flat rates for point to point. My question was leaning more towards companies that are reliable.

Thanks again,

Kay

Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
If no one can give you specifics on here, I suggest that you check reviews of car services on yelp.com.

Car & limo service New York

Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If no one can give you specifics on here, I suggest that you check reviews of car services on yelp.com.

Car & limo service New York
Thank you.

Kay

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybabycakes View Post
Thank you for the reply. I am not concerned about our safety in Harlem. There are several car companies that have mini vans for car service. They offer pick up to and from all airports. They also have flat rates for point to point. My question was leaning more towards companies that are reliable.

Thanks again,

Kay
True, but those companie specialize in *airport* service.

What you are asking is to be picked up, dropped off several blocks away, and then re-picked up a couple hours later and dropped off at your original location.

That is taxi/limosine service, a bit different. I believe you will find some difficulty in arranging what you want, and the cost will reflect that.

I have used a number of black car services, some have limosines, which I think will serve you just as well as a minivan, at least to the auditions and lesson. Here is one I used in the distant past, and appears to provide comprehensive service:

Luxury Car & Sedan Service in NYC, New York | Dial 7 Round Trips

In my experience, unless you have the car *wait*, you will wind up doing the waiting. Also be sure to give yourself PLENTY of lead time, as a late arriving car could ruin your day.

Luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Congratulations on the audition at MSM. Great school and faculty. Mannes is excellent as well. Both schools have very different environments and approaches.

Does not the case for the bass have those little wheels? You are staying so close to MSM. Why not just walk the few blocks and pull the bass? Mannes will be a couple of miles from where you will be staying. The only airport transport that I use with a van is based in Queens and Long Island. I am sorry, but cannot recommend a company that would go into Manhattan, but there are plenty of them. I'm sure they will do what you want for the right price. If you are not traveling during rush hour, musicians do lug their big instruments on the subway and if there are 2 of you, it's easier. Never did it with a bass, but took the subway with a friend and a cello several times. It would only be a few subway stops from where you are staying to Mannes. The biggest problem would be the stairs, but if there are 2 of you, you could manage.

How well do you know the teacher who is giving the private lesson/coaching session? Surely, he/she also has to travel with the bass and perhaps could offer a suggestion.

Best of luck at the audtions.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times
I know it's not ideal, but I live in a neighborhood with a ton of Broadway musicians and I see people with their basses on the subway often. You can use the wheelchair/stroller accessible option on hopstop.com to help plan your routes to do a mix of car service and public transit.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Thank you for the wonderful information. We are close to MSM, I didn't realize close enough to walk.

If I rented a vehicle, where would someone park in the w128th street area.

Thanks so much.

Kay

Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM

282 posts, read 575,348 times
Quote:
In my experience, unless you have the car *wait*, you will wind up doing the waiting.
Just a head's up about this--"waiting time" with a car company can run you as much as $45-50/hour. The companies don't like drivers sitting around so they charge a fortune. Just be aware and ask ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City