Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Thank you for reading. Need some solid advice.

**About me**
-single (30's)
-Bring in around $3,600 per month after taxes (teacher).
-great gig, excellent work hours, cool coworkers, great students
-possibility of job layoffs in next couple of years if budget cuts occur
-currently have about $60,000 in student loans that I need to pay off
-have an aging parent that I also help support financially (due to job layoffs)

**My Opportunity**
-Recently received an offer to work overseas on 3 year contract.
-Salary will be around $5,000 per month (tax free)
-Rent, utilities, health insurance, and yearly plain tickets ---> Will all be paid for by company.
-Bonus pay of $5000 for each year of completion

**My Question**
Is the overseas offer enough to leave a good job in the United States. I calculated my expenses and would be able to pay off my student loans in 2 years and save a nice chunk of $$ if I made the move. I absolutely love NYC, but at my current rate it would take me at least 15 years to pay off my loans. Thanks for your input. Feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 AM

420 posts, read 823,615 times
Where overseas, exactly? And will your aging parent, barring your financial support be okay without your support that you would give if you stayed in NYC?

Your pay and benefits seem pretty damn good at your new job, but are you willing to leave your comfortable, amiable job and your friends and family?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
As long as your parents are well enough, I would say go for it. I have a friend who has been in South Korea for two years teaching English and loves it, plus she has had the opportunity to travel to a number of countries that should would of never had a chance to visit. Plus once it is all over, you can move right back to nyc debt free and a vast amount of cultural knowledge....and it isn't like nyc is going anywhere, it will still be here when you finish the program.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Do NOT leave a tenured teaching position...it might be the last job left standing in the United States.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM

111 posts, read 173,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you for reading. Need some solid advice.

**My Opportunity**
-Recently received an offer to work overseas on 3 year contract.
-Salary will be around $5,000 per month (tax free)
-Rent, utilities, health insurance, and yearly plain tickets ---> Will all be paid for by company.
-Bonus pay of $5000 for each year of completion

**My Question**
Is the overseas offer enough to leave a good job in the United States. I calculated my expenses and would be able to pay off my student loans in 2 years and save a nice chunk of $$ if I made the move. I absolutely love NYC, but at my current rate it would take me at least 15 years to pay off my loans. Thanks for your input. Feel free to PM me.
I would go for it. It will make your resume stronger that you taught internationally. Also, the pay and the perks are very good and you can also travel during your off periods.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM

233 posts, read 753,421 times
Yep I would go for it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City