Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times

Advertisements

Wash Heights is not bad. But if your walking around and you're asian or white, you're bound be sold some weed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:00 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Oh wow, I have a lot of memories from that place. Some good, some bad.

That's where I grew up. It was one of the worst blocks in Wash Heights during the crack epidemic. It's a paradise now compared to how it was back in the 80's.

There's an elementary school on that block now (built in the mid-90's), so it's not that bad but there is still a bit of drug activity that goes on there. I don't really consider it a dangerous area though. That's just me. Some people might think it's horrible. It's not great but I wouldn't say it's really dangerous either.

Someone mentioned a restaurant called La Barca, but there is a great hole in the wall Dominican spot on Broadway between 159th and 160th called Margot Restaurant, it's a real dump but the food is really good and authentic.

To me Wash Heights, at least after the crack epidemic subsided, is only really dangerous for cops (dangerous job anywhere in the city), firefighters (going into those old tenement buildings is scary), livery cab drivers (late night muggins), bodega owner's (late night robberies), and drug dealers (even for drug dealers it's nothing compared to all the beefs that would go on in the late 80's/early 90's).

It (Wash. Heights) is loud as hell though. I will say that. Only quiet around Riverside and Fort Washington.

The thing about Washington Heights is that the rent is not that much of a bargain anymore. A 1br in many parts of the Heights now goes for like $1200-$1500. I think that is way too much.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-03-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
The Dominicans are being pushed down towards the 150's by gentrification. Some move to the Bronx like Kingsbridge

Old 09-04-2007, 08:02 AM

Dominicans have been living in the 150's and Harlem for some time now. Since the mid 90's more or less.

There are many going to the Bronx though. The western portion of the Bronx is becoming more Dominican by the minute.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Yes, the Dominicans will take over West Harlem. Mark my words. They also have their eye on the northwest Bronx. The areas north of Washington Heights along with Bedford Park and Moshulo.

Anyway as for safety. Washington Heights has a crime rate above the national average. You just have to be careful. I wouldn't want to live there or recommend anyone to. It's just too slummy.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 AM

79 posts, read 331,036 times
I've lived in Wash Heights all my life (am now 38 yrs old). Went to public schools there. Still live there. It has it's ups and downs, like anywhere else. The Dominicans and locals will leave you alone in the overt, obvious sense, but will make your life miserable in other ways. In general, alot of the locals tend to have zero understanding that sound carries, and make as much noise as possible no matter who it affects. This is evidenced by the large gatherings of people in front of buildings, street corners, bodegas, etc., until the wee hours of the morning, yelling and playing loud music. They won't mug you necessarily - there is actually a sense of community. But if you're a working person, or going to school, or just like to sit in your living room and read a book, you'll have to contend with noise from outside, or kids screeching and running in the hallways, teenagers hanging out in the lobby, or the people upstairs dropping things on the floor or letting their kids jump off the bed hundreds of times a day. Noise is a huge factor. If you're hard of hearing or don't care about noise, then you're half way there. The other problem w/the Heights is the garbage on the streets. Refuse everywhere, particularly in the summer, and often there's a stench from the garbage outside. People literally eat outside, and rather than walk a few feet to the garbage can, will throw the chicken bones, plates, forks, etc., right there where they stand. Anyone who's walked a dog in the Heights knows what I'm talking about - the pooch seems to find all the chicken bones and tries to eat them. It's bad and in my opinion, is getting worse. The cops are really overwhelmed with these quality of life issues and pretty much ignore them unless they happen to be driving by and it's something really blatant. Even then they tend not to do anything because it's just too frustrating to deal with.

I would recommend Inwood, a little north of the Heights and cleaner with comparable rents.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:07 AM

I would agree that quality of life tends to be more of an issue than safety in Wash. Heights. But some stretches on Riverside and Forth Washington are very quiet.

Also I would be careful with generalizing about Inwood. Overall, yeah it is probably a little cleaner and quieter than Wash. Heights, but these two neighborhoods are very similar. It pretty much comes down to how your block in particular is.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM

79 posts, read 331,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would agree that quality of life tends to be more of an issue than safety in Wash. Heights. But some stretches on Riverside and Forth Washington are very quiet.

Also I would be careful with generalizing about Inwood. Overall, yeah it is probably a little cleaner and quieter than Wash. Heights, but these two neighborhoods are very similar. It pretty much comes down to how your block in particular is.
Yes. I live on Riverside Drive and it is better. But not much. Inwood and the Heights are very similar indeed, but that long stretch of Seaman Ave., around the park, up on ParkTerrace by Isham park, etc., is all really nice and pretty quiet. They even have their own patrol to supplement the cops. 160th and Broadway, ooof, no way papi!

I love the eats in the Heights & Inwood. You can't get better Dominican food anyplace else, except in the D.R. Nice places keep popping up too. The neighborhood is liveable overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: