Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times

Advertisements

There should also be signs indicating a lower level. Did you know that the E train stops at the lower level at 50th & 8th Ave? I did not know that. Heck, I didn't even know there was a lower level. I stood around like an idiot for 30 minutes and all C trains kept pulling in to the station. The signs say "E" but on the same board there is the exit sign to the street. Then I decided to walk towards the end of the platform and lo and behold! A staircase to a lower level! When I got downstairs the signs said "C" next to the street exit. If there's one thing that the MTA is great at, it's confusing people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
@ Penn station last year , i used one of the Entrances that i had never used before so it threw me off in terms of the direction so when the next 3 train entered the station i went Downtown instead of uptown.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This guy almost got killed when a train hit him in the back of the head when he was looking for it to come in the other direction!

Man hit by subway train is famed Hollywood screenwriter - NYPOST.com
I got hit by a train before when someone prank pushed me onto a train that just pulled in. I bounced off luckily and got a giant bruise on my arm. A very giant bruise!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Tourist?
I've been riding the subways longer than some of you have been alive.
And there is just no reason in Hell we should have to guess the direction a train is going to come from, other than the lazy, incompetent, unimaginative MTA.

I will try checking for the colored lights again and see if thay make any sense. (Last time I looked, both directions were RED!?????)

Old 01-08-2012, 06:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
If there's one thing that the MTA is great at, it's confusing people!
I think they give their employees classes specializing in it.

I think the RED-GREEN system MAY work. My first try was JUST missing the E train yeaterday (in the F-only station, natch, at 63rd and Lex) and I checked the lights...both red. But after a few moments the one in the forward direction turned green and "there was great rejoicing in the land." If it works consistently I will be very pleased.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:25 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think they give their employees classes specializing in it.

I think the RED-GREEN system MAY work. My first try was JUST missing the E train yeaterday (in the F-only station, natch, at 63rd and Lex) and I checked the lights...both red. But after a few moments the one in the forward direction turned green and "there was great rejoicing in the land." If it works consistently I will be very pleased.
Agreed KefirKing.

I have been riding the subways for years, And honestly never paid any attention to the lights. It uses the red stop green go like traffic above? Interesting.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Tourist?
I've been riding the subways longer than some of you have been alive.
And there is just no reason in Hell we should have to guess the direction a train is going to come from, other than the lazy, incompetent, unimaginative MTA.

I will try checking for the colored lights again and see if thay make any sense. (Last time I looked, both directions were RED!?????)
Red signals? Red lights?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
The signage in the subway is horrible in general--and its confusing at times to everyone, natives and tourists alike. The MTA seems completely uninterested in improving it though, they are spending too much money to pay bus drivers to sit around playing cards.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The signage in the subway is horrible in general--and its confusing at times to everyone, natives and tourists alike. The MTA seems completely uninterested in improving it though, they are spending too much money to pay bus drivers to sit around playing cards.
Bus Drivers sitting around playing cards WTF?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Bus Drivers sitting around playing cards WTF?
Well, cards and chess it seems:

TWU union chief John Samuelsen defends MTA employees playing chess on job - NYPOST.com

As long as this type of thing goes on at the MTA, don't expect improvements in anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City