Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 PM

302 posts, read 308,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Indian and black mixtures were frowned on by Indians until recently. Deny that if you wish but it is indeed a fact. The term "dougla" meaning bastard doesn't exactly convey acceptance does it.
This a dumb comment.Because in Trinidad were according to you Indians and Blacks are in harmony the term is used for Black and Indian mixes.The term douglas is a word used on all the islands.

You're talking nothing but lies dude, I got hella grand uncles and aunts who are douglas, so in no way is it frowned upon by Indians.

Quote:
Sprinkles of Afro Guyanese among Indo Guyanese in NYC and of Indo Guyanese amongst Afro Guyanese!!!

Why is that if we are all one love fest? Indeed 40% of the Guyanese LIVING in Richmond Hill/South Ozone should be black Guyanese if we are all one happy family.

Light and dark skinned Dominicans live TOGETHER. While they do have their skin color and hair texture issues they see each other as DOMINICANS.

For Guyanese, no way is that the case.

And why is it that with every election racial tension rises if we are all one happy family. Were we one happy family we wouldn't identify based on ethnicity, and we wouldn't vote based on ethnicity and we would have sent the politicians who promote ethnic divide packing.

But we don't.

By the way we don't have "federal" elections in Guyana.
I never said there is no distinction between Indo-Guaynese and Afro-Guyanese, but what I also told you that its not a point of conflict when both groups run into each other. And actually yes there are a lot Afro-Guyanese living in Richmond Hill though but yes they Indo-Guyanese like Indo-Trinis,seek refuge in predominantly Indian neighborhoods but that don't mean a black Guaynese and Indian Guyanese don't get along or won't find a bond with each other ,cause they do.

You are talking pure lies brugh , because you sound like a dude living in the past like I said the parties in Guyana are no longer based on race, because know you have Groups like AFC and TF stepping in. Even PNC is out of power and are no longer a power house, they are only holding on to power because of APNU.

If there is that much racial tension how come blacks and Indians party together, why is there is so much black and Indian babies, and why is there gangs composed of black and Indian members.

If there was so much racial tension why even in worst and poverty stricken areas of Guyana (Like the picture above in Albouystown) do you have Blacks and Indians merging and coexisting gangs?

Now answer this why are black badmen and black shottas also hate black cops and black PNC members how about you tell that side. There is racial tension but not like how you make it seem.

Just as in Brazil or the Dominican republic you have blacks marginzalied and there is racial tension between the color of your skin that doesn't mean racial harmony doesn't exists to some level,although its lesser then in guyana.

You sound like a butthurt Guyanese who wants to rant and rave about race politics because there is nothing better for you to talk about.Then you have low self esteem because of the underachievement.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-13-2014 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 10:53 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post

Apples and oranges,first of all many New Orleaneans had Cuban roots at the time Jazz was created,on that same note many generational Aframs living in New Orleans help to bring forth Jazz. People could actually trace the syncopation, ragtime,and swing which are all birthed in the region.This analogy so contentious though because you're comparing an ethnic group starting a musical genre to a place starting a musical genre, and they are not always the same. One thing is undeniable many of the first and great Jazz artists
were Aframs, unlike Soca who had many non-Trinidadian artists in its back ground and non-trinidadian music in its background.

That's not what I said , I said you had festivals and mass celebrations in Guyana before Mash, and Mashramani was modeled after Carnivals in general not just Trinidad. More over Masquarade which is rooted in Igbo tradition is STILL celebrated in Guyana.

I know what Kwe Kwe is , but its more of ritualistic celebration rather than an actual cultural practice. Trust me I know which ethnic groups its similar to it, but Guyanese music is not based off of it.

That's false, Kwe Kwe is a celebration dude, that's like saying Americans celebratory music is based off 4th of July songs. Its like saying Irish River dance is based of St Patricks Day. Pork Knockers are gold searchers they have nothing to do with the music. You're wrong you just using stuff I just mentiioned to draw a bridge to Guyanese music. Many of Guyanese songs can be inspired by Queh Queh ,porknocker,and other stuff but its not based off of it.

First of all you do know that Cadence-lypso is Dominica in origin right?Some of the first Soca songs that Ras Shorty claim to have made sounded like Cadencelypso ,Cadence and Zouk. 2 of the genres I just mentioned are Dominican in origin the other Zouk is very vibrant in French Caribbean influenced countries such as Dominica.. Ras Shorty was inspired by one Dominiquen artist's called Maestro and this Dominquen was going to show him some things, but he died before he could.

Later on Ras Shorty came back from his tour on the Exhile 1,he had heard some music from another Dominiquen artists like Lord Tokyo which inspired him to make record a some songs.When he recorded Ou Petit, he had it written by some Dominican artists for him ,he returned to Trinidad happy that he had something new to bring TO TRINIDAD.So its obvious that he had to bring back something from Dominica to make something to bring to Trindiad. So hope that's a key point, he already thought that Calypso was dying and many of the youth in Trinidad were leaning toward Jamaican music. Plus there countless Dominican artists that helped him out.

The other key points of Trinis claim to making Soca is mixing African rhythm with Indian music was something done way before by Guyanese like Mootoo Brothers which was a black and Indian band. Coincidentally they were always used for prominent Calypso Musicians in Trinidad. Calypso itself is said to be the forefather of Soca music to Trinidadians but obviously its not true since they took so much from musical genres like Cadence,Cadence-lypso,Zouk, Disco,Chutney,and Kaiso.

Now the thing is many West Indian countries had their own form of pre-Soca music. Ras Shorty and other people like Mighty Lion wanted other islanders to call their music Soca and genres like Guyanese Shanto,Dominica Cadence , Grenandan Caricou, and Bajan Spouge all got infused to the Soca genre. But see the thing is Soca was not dominated by Trinidadian artists as was Dancehall,Rockstead,and Reggae which are Jamaican invention were dominated by Jamaican artists.

Eddy Grant was a Guyanese musician that took Guyanese elements to the UK.My family knows him. Just because he was a good rock musician doesn't mean he wasn't a good Soca musician, a Jack of all Trades.

Tell me what Bajan musical style did he bring with him to Barbados before he came there?Eddy Grant was and still is influential to ring bang till this day. Coincidentally ring bang Soca is even made with a lot of Chutney music, which is pretty much half way Guyanese. You're still going to talk with an audacity to say Guyanese have no links to it.

Its pretty much linked to the bad studios that's in Guyana and the lack of access to some equipment. Its literally the government of past PNC and the somewhat the present PPP that is stifiling the talent of Guyanese artists.

You really don't know how Soca started so how do you make that assumption?

Guyanese Soca artists from the 70s onwards till the present, made Soca music based on Shanto music.

Of so now Kwe Kwe is a ritual. Not too long ago you said it was a fete. And indeed many of the folks songs which we know come out of kwe kwe. Kwe Kwe is a ritual but it also has a musical component. I have never been to a Kwe Kwe without music, and almost all the songs sung are familiar to me out of Guyanese RICH folk traditions.

I am fully aware that masquerade draws from Igbo traditions and indeed the similar masquerade in St Kitts even has the same feathers that they use in Nigeria. That is why when Guyana had Carifesta the St K masqueraders were a draw and at Carifesta in St K Guyanese shocked Kittitians by how similar the two masquerades are.

The moko jumbie (stilt dancing) are of Igbo origins. The chanting and rhyming of the performers also draws from those traditions. We use pitchy patchy cloth instead of dried palm leaves.

Now tell me how much of Mash has that focus instead of the TRINIDAD style carnivals which they have exported around the Caribbean and to the Caribbean diaspora. At least in islands like St Lucia and St Kitts people lament marginalizing their local traditions for a Trinidad style carnival. Guyanese, who slavishly copy every thing not Guyanese, don't even do that!

If soca is of Dominican origin, why does Dominican music sound NOTHING like soca, except for the similarities which all Caribbean beats (except reggae) have in common? the usual explanation for cadence is that it incorporated the jumpier beat of soca to the normal slow ball room style beats of French Antillean music of the 70s. Dominicans being more exposed to Trini music and introducing elements of it to Guadeloupe and Martinique. But cadence is French Antillean music and very distinct from soca.

Soca is Trinidadian. ACCEPT THAT FACT. Until the mid 1980s the vast majority of the soca artists were Trinidadians (by residence and citizenship, even if not by birth).

Ring bang was started by Eddy Grant while he was in Barbados. He DID NOT import Guyanese musical traditions. He was embedded in the Barbadian entertainment scene, did recordings and arrangements for many Bajan performers, AIMED AT BAJAN audiences, and out of this milieu ring bang evolved.

Should he as a Guyanese get credit for starting ring bang? Yes. Should you then claim that ring bang is Guyanese. Not until you call jazz Cuban and rap Jamaican!

And good for that because if ring bang was Guyanese, we would have rejected it, as we reject most Guyanese popular music, and it wouldn't be around.

I have a close friend who used to play in many bands in Guyana. To his dismay he used to say that Guyanese wanted them to play the foreign popular music EXACTLY as they heard it over the radio. The band members (all of whom had a background in jazz) would have loved to improvise it and bring in some of their creativity. Because it didn't sound like the original recording, the crowds weren't having it.

And this is why Guyana has many talented people in the music business but we don't have a national "sound" that Guyanese will support. So you are left with citing examples of Guyanese who were involved in ring bang, calypso, reggaeton. Yes helping OTHERS develop THEIR sound! Indeed Sparrow had a whole crew of Guyanese musicians in the 60s because Trinis were focused on pan at the time.

I don't know that gov'ts other than Trinidad, Barbados, or Jamaica support their music industries either. So don't go on your anti PNC rant on that one.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Ethnic tensions after the 1997 elections. Again after the 2001 elections. During the civil servants strike in 1999 there was ethnic tension. Between 2002-6 again another period of ethnic tension.

Guyana is a land of two tribes. The others watch on hoping that they don't get crushed when they fight.
Between 2002 to 2006 was sparked by inside toxic dealings between blacks But it was basically rocked by Black Criminals going after bad corrupt cops. You even had a few black cops turning to the other side.
The cops being bull**** artists went to the PPP politicians for help and used the fact these criminals were black like themselves ,were a threat because they weren't compliant to Indian based PPP demands.

Although there were innocent bystandards why is it, you had mostly Phantom members were mostly black (which was supposed to be a pro-Indian death squad )after the black criminal groups of Fyneman.The 2002 and 2003 uproar was about black criminals set loose and out for venganace against a lot of the cops.

Now as for the breakdown of Guyanas ethnic groups in 2002 it was 16.2 mixed but some estimates put it at 25%,but the black population was 36% and Indian population 43%. THe Amerindian population was 10% or so. Now with the recent influx of Brazilians which number from 50k 100k and a whole host of Chinese getting citizen ship, the population is no longer black and Indian based. I will politely say this HUSH.

Even during the racial years of the 70s , Burnham never had complete control of the black population many blacks like the WPA and some members of the UF were against the PNC.
And like I said you really don't know about the politics.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Jamaicans don't even like Reggaeton. They think that it is a bastardization of Jamaican culture.

If you went to a Puerto Rican claiming that Reggaeton was spawned by Guyanese they would laugh at you and ask why is it sung in Spanish then? Just because a Guyanese might have been among the arrangers, musicians or producers doesn't make it Guyanese.

I can name loads of Caribbean people involved in R&B, rap, and jazz, but those genres come out of black American traditions.
Why do you keep mentioning Jamaicans I never said Jamaicans lay a claim to Reggaetone or like it feel free to quote me where i said this.

It doesn't matter what a Puerto Rican says about Reggaetone, it doesn't matter. Ricans like to claim they made Salsa ,and made Salsa in NY at that ,which is clearly wrong,most musical scholars agree it is a Cuban invention.

No Caribbean person lays claim to R&B and Jazz. There might of been a few anamolies of those genres that had popular artists with Caribbean backgrounds but they have always been thwarted by Afram muscians. Nor did these genres except rap reach out for Caribbean influence.Rap has its roots in Dancehall but also funk artists but I won't digress into that. Comparing apples to oranges.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
because there is nothing better for you to talk about.Then you have low self esteem because of the underachievement.

I see when people can't defend their argument they resort to personal attacks. YOU DO NOT KNOW ME SO YOU DEMEAN YOURSELF BY MAKING SUCH IGNORANT COMMENTS!

So are you claiming that huge numbers of Indians vote for the PNC now? Because the PNC gets loads of votes. 41% last time. If Indians aren't supporting them in large numbers than it must be that the vast majority of the blacks and mixed voters are.

WHY do they support the PNC one can ask? Because the PNC has a track record of excellence? Or an ethnically based fear of the PPP?

Why don't you answer this question? Why don't blacks and Indians live together in NYC. No I am not talking about a splinter here and there. I am talking about a DISTINCT Guyanese community as there is a distinct Dominican community. The vast majority of Indo and Afro Guyanese do not live in the same communities, this suggesting that there is tolerance for each other in Guyana, but in the USA we go our separate ways in the vast majority of the cases. You happen to be an exception to that rule.

Why are most of our community based organizations in New York dominated by one race or the other, including the alumni associations of the leading secondary schools?

Why don't you answer this question? Why do we continue to have tribal voting in Guyana if we are all one, and why is there a level of ethnic tension surrounding each election?

Its a pity that you are left with using criminals operating, but then why do we read rants by Indians claiming that "black man lazy and only want to rob Indians"? Indeed there was a WHOLE editorial in the Chronicle, which I know a PPP supporter like you must enjoy reading.

Guyana is characterized by ethnic tensions, and suspicions between the two main ethnic groups, and this manifests itself in a competition for power. Do people have cross racial friendships? Yes. Is the younger generation more relaxed about racial issues? Definitely. But ethnic division is still a fact of life, and DEFINITELY among Guyanese living in NYC.

And you really need to chat with several Indian females who were disowned by their parents for marrying a black man.

Last edited by caribny; 09-13-2014 at 11:25 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep mentioning Jamaicans I never said Jamaicans lay a claim to Reggaetone or like it feel free to quote me where i said this.

It doesn't matter what a Puerto Rican says about Reggaetone, it doesn't matter. Ricans like to claim they made Salsa ,and made Salsa in NY at that ,which is clearly wrong,most musical scholars agree it is a Cuban invention.

No Caribbean person lays claim to R&B and Jazz. There might of been a few anamolies of those genres that had popular artists with Caribbean backgrounds but they have always been thwarted by Afram muscians. Nor did these genres except rap reach out for Caribbean influence.Rap has its roots in Dancehall but also funk artists but I won't digress into that. Comparing apples to oranges.

Puerto Ricans who aren't ignorant know that Salsa is an adaptation of Afro Cuban genres.

If reggaeton was started by a Guyanese it would be in English. Reggaeton also evolved out of Spanish Reggae from Panama, and that was a straight translation of Jamaican music into Spanish. Again Puerto Ricans who aren't ignorant know full well the Jamaican roots of reggaeton, and even the fact that it is based on the dem bow beat popular in the early 90s. It has however developed its own flavor and is definitely not reggae any more.

The fact that a Guyanese MAY have been involved as a producer, musician or what ever doesn't mean that Guyanese as a people can lay claim to it. Jamaicans CANNOT call rap Jamaican, neither can Bajans call it Bajan, even though people of Jamaican and Barbadian descent were involved in it from the beginning.

So quit trying to claim genres that belong to other people. And since when do you think that Jamaicans need help in grabbing what is theirs. Jamaicans are fiercely proud of everything Jamaican (Guyanese can learn from this) and will not let black Americans take rap if they thought it was Jamaican. Jamaicans consider rap to be an African American art form, with the adaptation of the Jamaican "toasting" on top of black American beats. They do not consider it to be Jamaican music!

Last edited by caribny; 09-13-2014 at 11:28 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you know this but most Africans were happy that the CIA was involved in getting rid of Cheddi. Please don't fool yourself that all Guyanese were upset. That song "Solidarity For Ever" was sung loudly in African homes. As far there were concerned the PPP was a party run by Indians for the benefit of Indians and they see no difference 50 years later.

You are obviously a PPP supporter so accept their one sided view of Guyana.

There were always tensions between blacks and Indians. In the 19th century the British were quite happy to use them against each other to undermine the efforts of both groups to improve their working conditions. The British facilitated easier acquisition of land by Indians, but ensured that the teachers and policemen remained mainly black. They brought in the indentures to undermine the former slaves in the 1848 strike. They used blacks as scabs to undermine Indian workers as late as 1964.

Indeed middle class Afro Guyanese leaders wanted indentureship from India stopped in the late 19th and early 20th century when they feared that Indians would begin to out number blacks. Middle class Indians wanted it continue so that Indians would eventually be positioned to control the colony, should universal suffrage be implemented.

The tensions in the late 50s didn't begin because Cheddi and Burnham had a fight. Its because with self gov't, eventually expected to lead to independence the elites of both races were jockeying for power, and the masses were growing restive with each other.

It was only "benign" in the late colonial period because each ethnic group in the then British Guiana was confined to their economic and occupational space, and so competition was minimized.

Guyana certainly isn't Cyprus or Lebanon, but to pretend as if all is well is equally dishonest.
Stop telling people what they are and what there not, you have no clue about the political make up of Guyana, and I would put it in simple layman terms, Guyana's political scene is no longer PPP and PNC based get over it.

He already told you his family was UF.

And Guyana during the colonial 1800s did not compose of mostly black policeman and teachers.

You're making up the story as you go along and really don't know crap. There were Chinese and Portuguese indentured servants being imported into Guyana en masse before the Indians, there were no protests then and there were no protests to Indians.

There were no middle class Indians during the 1800s when John Gladstone imported Indians into Guyana. What you did have was the white affluence, the Portuguese shop owners rich middle class,and Chinese middle class. Indians and blacks were at the bottom although patronage would be handed to East Indian first before blacks.

Political parties were not racially based before Burnham and the PNC that's a fact. You had parties like the UDP and NLF.

This is why you ask yourself why is it that Burnham was a PPP member and choose to be good friends with Jagan.

When Burnham good not accquire any more power in the PPP he chose to leave the PPP , and form the PNC. Since he really had nothing to offer, he had to make things racially based and choose to get the following of blacks of course that still didn't work because blacks were outnumbered in Guyana, and so he had to rig the elections.Burnham he was power hungry and really didn't care if you were indian or black he wanted power. This is why the union GB&GWU which were afro-Guaynese based, protested ardently to Burnham'r regime at one point.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Stop telling people what they are and what there not, you have no clue about the political make up of Guyana, and I would put it in simple layman terms, Guyana's political scene is no longer PPP and PNC based get over it.

And Guyana during the colonial 1800s did not compose of mostly black policeman and teachers.

You're making up the story as you go along and really don't know crap. There were Chinese and Portuguese indentured servants being imported into Guyana en masse before the Indians, there were no protests then and there were no protests to Indians.

There were no middle class Indians during the 1800s when John Gladstone imported Indians into Guyana. What you did have was the white affluence, the Portuguese shop owners rich middle class,and Chinese middle class. Indians and blacks were at the bottom although patronage would be handed to East Indian first before blacks.

Political parties were not racially based before Burnham and the PNC that's a fact. You had parties like the UDP and NLF.

This is why you ask yourself why is it that Burnham was a PPP member and choose to be good friends with Jagan.

When Burnham good not accquire any more power in the PPP he chose to leave the PPP , and form the PNC. Since he really had nothing to offer, he had to make things racially based and choose to get the following of blacks of course that still didn't work because blacks were outnumbered in Guyana, and so he had to rig the elections.Burnham he was power hungry and really didn't care if you were indian or black he wanted power. This is why the union GB&GWU which were afro-Guaynese based, protested ardently to Burnham'r regime at one point.

If the Guyana political scene is no longer PPP or PNC driven, than why do the PPP still win? Hell even former US President Jimmy Carter one time went down to Guyana to see fair democratic elections along with vote counting. He said that PPP won fair and square. I can say that with the younger population, they are not focused on PPP or PNC anymore and both parties helped ruin the country to what it is today. My family supported Portuguese backed party United Force, but after the murder of the Abraham family plenty of Portuguese ethnics left Guyana for good.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Of so now Kwe Kwe is a ritual. Not too long ago you said it was a fete. And indeed many of the folks songs which we know come out of kwe kwe. Kwe Kwe is a ritual but it also has a musical component. I have never been to a Kwe Kwe without music, and almost all the songs sung are familiar to me out of Guyanese RICH folk traditions.

I am fully aware that masquerade draws from Igbo traditions and indeed the similar masquerade in St Kitts even has the same feathers that they use in Nigeria. That is why when Guyana had Carifesta the St K masqueraders were a draw and at Carifesta in St K Guyanese shocked Kittitians by how similar the two masquerades are.

The moko jumbie (stilt dancing) are of Igbo origins. The chanting and rhyming of the performers also draws from those traditions. We use pitchy patchy cloth instead of dried palm leaves.

Now tell me how much of Mash has that focus instead of the TRINIDAD style carnivals which they have exported around the Caribbean and to the Caribbean diaspora. At least in islands like St Lucia and St Kitts people lament marginalizing their local traditions for a Trinidad style carnival. Guyanese, who slavishly copy every thing not Guyanese, don't even do that!

If soca is of Dominican origin, why does Dominican music sound NOTHING like soca, except for the similarities which all Caribbean beats (except reggae) have in common? the usual explanation for cadence is that it incorporated the jumpier beat of soca to the normal slow ball room style beats of French Antillean music of the 70s. Dominicans being more exposed to Trini music and introducing elements of it to Guadeloupe and Martinique. But cadence is French Antillean music and very distinct from soca.

Soca is Trinidadian. ACCEPT THAT FACT. Until the mid 1980s the vast majority of the soca artists were Trinidadians (by residence and citizenship, even if not by birth).

Ring bang was started by Eddy Grant while he was in Barbados. He DID NOT import Guyanese musical traditions. He was embedded in the Barbadian entertainment scene, did recordings and arrangements for many Bajan performers, AIMED AT BAJAN audiences, and out of this milieu ring bang evolved.

Should he as a Guyanese get credit for starting ring bang? Yes. Should you then claim that ring bang is Guyanese. Not until you call jazz Cuban and rap Jamaican!

And good for that because if ring bang was Guyanese, we would have rejected it, as we reject most Guyanese popular music, and it wouldn't be around.

I have a close friend who used to play in many bands in Guyana. To his dismay he used to say that Guyanese wanted them to play the foreign popular music EXACTLY as they heard it over the radio. The band members (all of whom had a background in jazz) would have loved to improvise it and bring in some of their creativity. Because it didn't sound like the original recording, the crowds weren't having it.

And this is why Guyana has many talented people in the music business but we don't have a national "sound" that Guyanese will support. So you are left with citing examples of Guyanese who were involved in ring bang, calypso, reggaeton. Yes helping OTHERS develop THEIR sound! Indeed Sparrow had a whole crew of Guyanese musicians in the 60s because Trinis were focused on pan at the time.

I don't know that gov'ts other than Trinidad, Barbados, or Jamaica support their music industries either. So don't go on your anti PNC rant on that one.

Que Queh is a ritualistic fete, of course its going to have music, but Guyanese culture is not based off of it and neither is Guyanese music. Dude Guyanese are not solely copying everything from Trinidadians.

First of all you're wrong because other islands had Carnivals or something similar to it before Trinidads carnival became known. And if you know anything ,Trinidad is modeling its carnival after Brazil with its costumes,floats ,body paints,and what not. Guyana' MASH isn't full of scantly clad women (athough some are) and wild out this world costumes. Its mainly the most traditional Carnival in the Caribbean.

Does old 70s Trinidadian Soca sound like the Soca they have now. Dominicans are not exposed to Trinidadian music , they are a small island that has at least 3 distinctive musical styles, they basically study their own music. Dominica is part of the old French Francophone islands, like most Eastern Caribbean islands are. The Zouk was always a form of French Caribbean Soca but predates Soca.

Did you not read the story I told of Ras Shorty, it was Ras Shorty inspired by Cadence ,Cadence-lypso,and Zouk. Ras Shorty was on Tour with Dominican artists like the Exhile One ,was taught to play French Carib style music by Masestro to upstart his new Calypso style and had his song mostly written by Lord Tokyo and his musical accomplices that wrote Ras Shorty ''I Petit''.

I already explained that Guyanese have been mixing African Rhythms and Indian Instruments long before Trinidadian artists. Its not by accident the Mootoo brothers taught and trained Trinidadian Calypso artists who would turn into Soca artists and make the first Soca songs. Even the ''Jump Up'' music was started by Tom Charles and Syncopaters,which was a big thing for Soca and Calypso artists in the 70s and till now.

You're wrong Soca in the 70s came from all regions of the Caribbean. And you don't know Eddy Grant personals to know how he made his music, he is a family friend,we know his methodology,stop being a low self esteem guyanese as to how he made his music. I will also tell you that Barbados and Guyana has had a long connection to, some Bajans even blame the Obeah traditions to be brought from Guyana.

Most Trinidadian youth do like Dancehall and Reggae, and so do Bajans. But Guyanese are way more serious about Dancehall than these countries, but many national music gets ignored in countries in the Caribbean.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:

I said INDENTURES. Indeed at the time most of the indentures were Portuguese and Africans (from Africa) with many West Indian workers as well, but by the 1860s when most of the indentures became Indians the feelings of alarm didn't dissipate. Rather then being anti foreigner the stage was set for Afro vs. Indo distrust which still exists today. While BOTH the PPP and the PNC exploit this they didn't create it. They just do nothing to reduce it.

By the late 19th century there was definitely alarm among the blacks at the size of the Indian population, and indeed the frictions between the Guyanese blacks and the black immigrants weakened as they all feared the consequences of this.

Who do you think that the rank and file policemen and teachers in Guyana were? I happen to be descended from people who became teachers in the 19thC and who have WRITTEN accounts about life in that era.

Guyana was hot, humid, muddy, mosquito, and malaria infested and so legions of English men didn't live in the colony.

So who do you think were the policemen in British Guiana and the teachers?

Burnham left and people like Eusi Kwayana INITIALLY stayed, but then left when it became obvious to them that the PPP had become a race based party. With the departure of Burnham BOTH the PNC and the PPP evolved into the race based parties which they remain today.

The fact that it happened indicated that there were underlying tensions and distrust between the two groups, because it wasn't inevitable that the departure of Burnham would have meant that almost all the blacks would leave.

Eusi wrote in his book "No Guilty Race" that when the PPP won in 1961 a brigade of trucks packed with elated PPP supporters drove down the East Coast Demerara hurling vile racist remarks at the blacks who they passed. INCLUDING A BLACK WOMAN WHO VOTED PPP and who came out to celebrate.

So blame BOTH if you want to assign blame! The PPP did NOTHING to appeal to the black vote, because they felt that racial voting guaranteed them victory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City