Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa19 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies (and especially checkmate)

I actually work in the city, lower Manhattan, but I was specifying close to the bridge only because I don't want to go too far south, like Annadale or Tottenville.

I will probably take the express bus into work.

We've been driving around SI this past weekend, and it's so much better to see in person than trying to figure out neighborhoods only based on "opinions"

What I have so far is this:

Westerleigh is really nice! But I doubt we'll find something in our price range ($425K tops). But I really loved the feel of that neighborhood.

Castleton Corners= nice. I could live there

There is a home at 27 Poland place that was my favorite on paper, but driving there I didn't like the area at all!
Same for 430 Slosson Ave.
Someone told me the buildings there are "middle income projects" which are supposed to be less dangerous. Still, didn't feel safe.

We liked Bulls Head.

Arrochar/South Beach could work, depending on where.

71 Ardmore Ave I think it's Willowbrook or Castleton but it's such a small property and other houses around that area.

So much work to still do... thanks again, and I will probably be back with more questions.

I do have a good feeling we might end up buying soon, though, I'm so tired of renting and we have pretty much no more storage left (our fake Christmas tree is in its package, waiting for someone to volunteer to squeeze it in the closet)
Thanks for the compliment.

And those two homes you looked at were in the southern part of Castleton Corners, by the Todt Hill Houses. I think it's just a low-income housing project, but being that it's in a middle class neighborhood, I think they screen the people more to get into that specific development, because I really don't hear a lot about crime going on there, and it's considered one of the safest NYCHA developments in the city. But in any case, it is understandable why you would want to avoid the area.

But to save you some trouble, since you don't want to live by housing projects of any sort, Dongan Hills has the Berry Houses and South Beach has the South Beach Houses. Again, some of the safest NYCHA in the city, but projects nonetheless.

By the way, your budget is $425K for what? (2-bedrooms? 3-bedrooms? A mansion? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you work in Manhattan, check out the express schedules on the train. There's some great neighborhoods very close to train stations with express stops that get you to the Ferry in about 15 minutes.
I'd advise against using the ferry. While the SIR-ferry commute is generally shorter than a bus-ferry commute (like from my area on the West Shore), it still lends itself to problems and unpredictability. There are times when they've cancelled a ferry because of a sick passenger. For some reason, they have to inconvenience hundreds of passengers instead of taking the sick passenger off the ferry and dealing with them there.

I mean, there's also the fact that transferring makes the commute more stressful. Rather than just walking to the express bus, you likely have to walk further from the office in Lower Manhattan to reach the ferry, and then you have to make an additional transfer once in Staten Island. And keep in mind that the ferry runs every 15-20 minutes during rush hour, whereas most express buses run more frequently than that.

So even if the OP were to look into say, Eltingville (which is around 20 minutes from St. George on an express train, and around 30 minutes on the local), the express bus would probably still be better. It might not necessarily be faster, but it would be less stressful. I'm telling you, those express buses come like wildfire down Hylan Blvd, so you don't have to time yourself for a particular ferry (the train meets the ferry, so ultimately it's the ferry you're timing yourself for)

By the way elisa19, how did you find out express buses anyway? Even in the other boroughs that have them, getting to Manhattan isn't as dependant on them. Somebody's been doing their homework.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Hi Airbornguy,

thanks for opening up a new can of worms for me! lol

I'll look into it.
No problem

I'm used to questions like yours because having worked in Brooklyn for the last 10 years, I've helped many of my co-workers looking to move to SI. I work with a guy right now who asks me a new question every few days. He's taking his time making his decision, which is a good thing in my opinion. I have watched a few friends with no Staten Island experience at all get completely fooled by real estate agents into moving to neighborhoods far worse than where they came from in Brooklyn.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM

387 posts, read 680,251 times
Grasmere & Dongan hills is very nice. Midland Beach & south beach below the blvd is a little skectchy. There's alot of nussiance crimes down there. Personally I wouldn't want to live past Miller Field, so the furthest I would go is Oakwood/NewDorp. Check out Oakwood & New Dorp, on both sides of the blvd.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
It might be best to rent first to make sure you like the area.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM

50 posts, read 135,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

By the way, your budget is $425K for what? (2-bedrooms? 3-bedrooms? A mansion? )

I'd advise against using the ferry. While the SIR-ferry commute is generally shorter than a bus-ferry commute (like from my area on the West Shore), it still lends itself to problems and unpredictability.

By the way elisa19, how did you find out express buses anyway? Even in the other boroughs that have them, getting to Manhattan isn't as dependant on them. Somebody's been doing their homework.
I'm shooting for 3 bedrooms.

Truth be told, I lived in SI back in 1994 for 8 months. I lived in Huguenot and worked on 72nd St. in Manhattan. Train, ferry, train. When I think back at that commute, I feel bad for my young self (but not too much, since I was almost 20 years younger!). Would never do that again... I'm taking the express bus.
My husband, on the other hand, would probably try the train - ferry commute, that's why I would also consider a house close to a train station.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
It might be best to rent first to make sure you like the area.
It's a great point, but I don't have it in me to move to another rental. I want to move into my home, finally.

Plus, it's not like I'm moving from Kansas. I'm in Brooklyn, I've lived in SI, I have been to SI a million times... how different can it be, you know?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Grasmere & Dongan hills is very nice. Midland Beach & south beach below the blvd is a little skectchy. There's alot of nussiance crimes down there. Personally I wouldn't want to live past Miller Field, so the furthest I would go is Oakwood/NewDorp. Check out Oakwood & New Dorp, on both sides of the blvd.
Thank you.

Specific info like this helps a lot.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM

By the way, how is parking by the ferry? How much is it, and is it safe to leave your car there?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 PM

387 posts, read 680,251 times
Quote:
By the way, how is parking by the ferry? How much is it, and is it safe to leave your car there?

Parking is tight right now bec ause there are several projects going on down there, one of them is replacing the ramps to the ferry. There are several pay to park lot's at the ferry. I have used them on occasion when I was going into the city. My Father has parked down there for years when he commuted. There ok. The car will get banged up a little bit from careless people.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
I'm originally from the south shore (Rossville) and now live in South Beach...it's great for commuting to the city. The south shore was a NIGHTMARE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: